T10000000's Journey to the S2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

June 2015 – J’s Racing 70RS Dual Stainless Steel

I’ve always wanted a J’s racing exhaust and now was my chance. The car already had a high flow cat (maybe a Berk 63mm HFC?) so I haven’t bought a new one yet. I’ve never been a fan of single outlet exhausts on the S2000 unless you buy the single exhaust bumper cap but that costs quite a bit from the US with the current exchange rate. I was left deciding between the 70RS dual stainless steel and the 70RS dual titanium. The price difference between them was ~$800 so I went with the cheaper option of the 2.

In April, I ordered a J’s Racing 70RS Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust through OTR Motorsports in Melbourne, the J’s Racing distributer in Australia. The standard turnaround time for a J’s exhaust is ~1 month from ordering an exhaust, to manufacturing and then receiving it. Late April, I received a call from OTR saying that J’s had made the 70RS single instead of the 70RS dual that I had ordered. My options were to take the 70RS single or wait another month for the duals. I chose to wait another month and in June, I received the exhaust; they even threw in a free J’s wristband and radiator cap! OTR had great customer service and was able to provide continual updates throughout the manufacturing process. The exhaust is lightweight, sounds great and looks amazing with the blue burn on the dolphin tips. It comes with a silencer but I never use those.

I re-used the OEM exhaust rubbers with the 70RS and after driving it for a week, I noticed the sound of something rattling. Once the car was warmed up after ~10 minutes of driving, it rattled like crazy which would make you stand out in traffic. Looking under the car, you could see that it only had 1-2mm clearance between the muffler and one of the bars.

I decided to buy 5x J’s Type A exhaust rubbers from OTR which are the recommended exhaust rubbers to use with the J’s exhaust. After installing these, there is now much more clearance between the muffler and the bar, and there is no rattling at all. Comparing them to the OEM rubbers, you can see that they are slightly thinner.

Comment

Nice exhaust! I'm more of a fan of single exhausts but js make quality stuff! If you ever get the chance to visit their workshop in Osaka you should. Great to see where your money is going and they're a bunch of super nice guys!

Comment

The second most furthest back exhaust hanger (right side) isn't a perfect fit for my single spoon n1... Maybe these j's hangers might solve my problem as on track the hanger has once Coke off and then rattles
        Integra Type R
        Integra Type S
        S2000

Comment

I agree with the dual exhausts looking better for the S2000, but single has a bit more performance gains with weight and power although negligible, haha.

Also Alex the Spoon N1 fits nicely on my car with the OEM exhaust hangers and never once fallen off. So kinda weird how yours has issues.
          1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

hmm, do you think it is because I have aftermarket headers? the Mugen headers could be a tad longer than stock? I know you have a Spoon testpipe/oem cat so that probably isnt the issue, but Im thinking the headers are longer and thus having an impact on the catback. the distance is only like half an inch or thereabouts. With the hook, instead of being on the straight section, the rubber hangs on the hook part. Out of 4 track days, its come off the hanger once. And fmor last track day it was still on but almost off the rubber hanger.
            Integra Type R
            Integra Type S
            S2000

Comment

Most likely the header could be the culprit from the looks of it, good to know now if I were ever to change headers I may run into small issues like that. New hangers should fix the issue.

Comment

Loving the updates.

The Berk HFC seems to be the popular choice for S2K owners?
                ClubITR | Like

Comment

yeah most popular HFC!

I found with the S2000, a very popular mod is changing to HFC/TP. You dont often see that as a "First" mod on other makes/models!
                  Integra Type R
                  Integra Type S
                  S2000

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
                    Nice exhaust! I'm more of a fan of single exhausts but js make quality stuff! If you ever get the chance to visit their workshop in Osaka you should. Great to see where your money is going and they're a bunch of super nice guys!
                    I've seen the pics on the forum that you posted up when you went and they were pretty cool. It would be definitely be awesome to see the J's S2000 in person though!!

Originally posted by eskimo_firefighter View Post
                    I agree with the dual exhausts looking better for the S2000, but single has a bit more performance gains with weight and power although negligible, haha.

Also Alex the Spoon N1 fits nicely on my car with the OEM exhaust hangers and never once fallen off. So kinda weird how yours has issues.
                    Haha fair point

Originally posted by felixR View Post
                    Loving the updates.

The Berk HFC seems to be the popular choice for S2K owners?
                    Aside from the Berk 63mm and 70mm HFCs, i can't say i've seen many out there on the market for the S2000

Comment

June 2015 – Project Mu HC800, Transmission/Diff/Brake fluid change, License plate/dome LEDs

It was time to change the remaining fluids and swap out to some new brake pads.

The transmission at times was difficult to get into reverse. It would take 2 tries going from neutral to reverse before it actually went into gear. I changed the transmission fluid to Redline MT90 and after that, it shifted like butter between all gears. It was a big difference and especially going from Neutral to Reverse, it would go into gear every time. As we don’t own a pump of any sorts, we just used a hose and fed it through the engine bay and into the transmission fluid fill hole to fill it up. Pretty easy since the transmission fluid isn’t that thick.

There weren’t too many options for the differential fluid, so I stuck with Redline and went with 75W90 Gear oil. The old diff oil was a black sludge when it came out and probably hasn’t been changed for a long time. To fill the diff, we used another hose and fed that from the top of the rear right wheel and into the diff fill hole. This took a while to fill as its pretty thick and there isn’t a good path to route the hose so that the fluid runs through easily.

For the brakes, I decided to go with Project Mu HC+/HC800 for the front and rears. I bought them from sparepartsbox on eBay and a few days later, they told me there was a 1 week wait until they were back in stock. I had the choice to cancel my order or wait and get 20% off the brakes. I was in no rush so that was the easiest 20% off! For brake fluid, I had heard good things about ATE Super Racing Brake Fluid so I bought a few 1L cans from Autosphere. It’s blue which made it easy to know when the old fluid was completely out of the system and was well priced compared to other options out there.

There was a 15% off sale on ebay so I took to chance to buy some License Plate and dome light LEDs. I didn’t get the brightest ones around, but they’re pretty good.

Comment

mate.. thats pretty bright.. LOL

car looks good man! nothing more satisfying then changing sluggy old fluids!

Comment

Good choice on fluids and pads. I use the same stuff and it's been great for me. . The pads can get a little dusty though, so prepare to clean wheels often.

Comment

Originally posted by amee-reb View Post
                            mate.. thats pretty bright.. LOL

car looks good man! nothing more satisfying then changing sluggy old fluids!
                            Thanks!

Originally posted by eskimo_firefighter View Post
                            Good choice on fluids and pads. I use the same stuff and it's been great for me. . The pads can get a little dusty though, so prepare to clean wheels often.
                            They sure do! I even get some light squeal here and there but completely worth it. Luckily on my bronze volks, it's hard to see brake dust so people don't even notice it's dirty when i haven't cleaned them for a couple of weeks

Comment

July 2015 – Rear Rotors, gopro setup

The rear rotors were squealing after changing the brake pads and I’m guessing that’s because the surface wasn’t flat as I didn’t machine the rotors before putting on the pads. They were close to minimum thickness so I bought some new blank RDA 7601 rotors for the rear.

I had read many opinions on cheap vs. expensive rotors and since I was planning on taking the car to the track, cheap blanks would be more efficient and cheaper in the long term. Replacing rotors is a fairly quick job I would hate to have ~$300 rotors crack after 1 track day. I bought them off eBay from a store called carperformanceparts for just under $100 posted.

I was after a GoPro setup so that I could record track days and analyse where I can improve to get that better lap time. I came across a brand new GoPro Hero3 Black locally on Gumtree for $250. I was able to sell the included GoPro remote and a housing for $100 making the price of the GoPro for just $150!

I wanted to keep the interior clean so I bought the GoPro mount from Modifry in the US. With the weak $AUD, it was ~$70AUD posted to Australia. It was a fairly simple install unscrewing a couple of screws for the wind deflector. It sort of blends in with the interior and leaves no marks on the secret compartment if ever removed.

I did some research and decided on a getting a microphone setup that consisted of the GoPro Micro-USB to 3.5mm cable and an Edutige ETM-0001. I also bought the frame mount off eBay as the waterproof housing doesn’t have a slot to plug in the usb adapter. The sound is much clearer at mid to high frequencies but it still struggles to capture the low frequency sounds of the car and exhaust. Overall, it’s an ok improvement that I’ll continue to tweak for the best sound recording.

Comment

Good choice with the rotors. I've done 3 Wakefield and 2 smsp track days on my $100 rda blanks front and rear and no issues yet
                                I've also heard of people cracking $500 dba t3 rotors after one day so the more inexpensive option is quite appealing.

To help with gearbox and diff fluid changes. I bought a $20 oil syringe/pump off eBay and it's great! 500ml capacity to two fills and the job is done. Super easy

My mag blue rims look grey/black cause I never clean them and they're cover in brake dust haha
                                It's going to suck once I get them coated silver

Comment

Working...
                                X