T10000000's Journey to the S2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T10000000's Journey to the S2000

With the http://clubs2k.com.au/ URL secured, i thought it might be a good time to join ClubS2K and represent the nations capital, Canberra !

This thread will be the journey from when i bought my Honda Integra Type S > Mazda MX5 > Honda S2000. All cars were/are daily driven and both Honda's have seen the racetrack. For now, i'll leave a picture of each...stayed tuned!

2005 Honda Integra Type S - Magnesium Metallic (Sold)

2007 Mazda MX5 LE - Radiant Ebony (Sold)

2002 Honda S2000 - Spa Yellow (Current)

clean yellow s2000! any reason why you moved from an mx5 to an s2000 =P
    IG: tonytr

Comment

Nice S2000. Was this the one that was owned by a mature asian couple in the Shire region?
      Integra Type R
      Integra Type S
      S2000

Comment

Originally posted by iamtonee View Post
        clean yellow s2000! any reason why you moved from an mx5 to an s2000 =P
        I initially wanted to go straight from the DC5 to S2000 but wasn't able to find a clean, good priced one that i was happy with. My brother had an NB MX5 at the time and that was fun to drive and i didn't want to buy a cheap daily until i found the S2000, so i decided to get an NC. I only had it for ~6 months but it's definitely an under rated car to drive.

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
        Nice S2000. Was this the one that was owned by a mature asian couple in the Shire region?
        Yeah that's the one.

Comment

Yellow always looks nice!
          Glad to hear it's tracked as well. Looking forward to seeing what's done to it

Comment

That looks lovely. Nice buy!
            ClubITR | Like

Comment

December 2010 – Purchased 2005 Honda Integra Type S
              At the end of 2010 my brother bought a CW DC2R so I took the opportunity to buy his old car, a 2005 Honda Integra Type S. It had just under 70,000kms on the odometer and was in very good condition. The modifications that he put on the car were a Gruppe M intake and a Greddy Touch Infometer.

The intake on throttle was a loud roar and it sounded great. The Greddy touch infometer unit is a small touch screen unit that connects to the OBDII port on the DC5 and can display data such as speed, RPM, water temp, oil temp (with additional sensors) etc.

March 2011 – A Spec Wing
              I always liked the spoiler on the Integra Type R and wanted one for my DC5. The issue I saw was that if I removed the existing Type S decklid, this would expose holes on the bootlid that would need to be covered up with bungs or to properly fill them and respray the bootlid. I could also hack the existing decklid to fit with the Type R wing but I didn’t think it would look very clean. I didn’t want to go with either of those options so I searched for an Acura RSX-S A spec spoiler from the US. I managed to find a brand new one in the exact same paint code of my car. This package included the Type R Spoiler and a decklid spoiler which fits perfectly between replacing the existing decklid on the car. The install was a matter of drilling 2 holes on each side of the boot, screwing it up, sticking on the decklid and replacing the boot struts with stronger ones. I also bought front and rear JDM Red Honda Badges for the car which I think looks better than the standard silver ones.

June 2011 – Suspension
              In June I bought a few parts from the US: Tein Super Street Coilovers, Progress Rear Sway Bar and an Ingalls rear camber kit. Handling was a huge improvement and I was still on Bridgestone RE001 tyres. I lowered the car and was happy with a fairly stock OEM look.

Comment

So clean and immac type s!
                Integra Type R
                Integra Type S
                S2000

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
                  Yellow always looks nice!
                  Glad to hear it's tracked as well. Looking forward to seeing what's done to it
                  Thanks! I actually only just took it to wakefield the other week and that was heaps of fun. Can't wait to go again.

Originally posted by felixR View Post
                  That looks lovely. Nice buy!
                  Thanks Felix!

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                  So clean and immac type s!
                  Thanks! Your DC5S build thread was definitely a good read, my favourite setup you ran has to be the mugen kit with the silver RE30s.
                  Last edited by T-10000000; 21-09-15, 08:39 PM. Reason: Muti-Quote

Comment

October 2011 – Tyres + HIDs + Brakes
                    I picked up some Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1 tyres in OEM sizes from tire rack as I knew I wanted a tyre that would be good for the street and track.

I liked the look of HIDs so I bought a kit from Retrosolution in the US + LEDs for the rear license plate.

The brakes pads were close to the indicators so I decided to replace the rotors and pads at the same time with 4 drilled and slotted rotors + Stoptech pads from Adams rotors in the US. I also bought Strutking pedals from the UK.

January 2012 – Defensive Driver Training
                    I decided to sign up for a defensive driver training course to better learn about safer driving and techniques that are good to know for everyday driving. The course was run by Fifth Gear Motoring in the ACT and provided theory and practical experience. The practical activities included braking hard to avoid hitting obstacles, and using the skid pan to simulate understeer/oversteer and how to control them in an emergency situation. Overall, it was a pretty well run course and would recommend it.

February 2012 – Cooling + Short Shifter
                    To further ready the car for the track, I bought a J’s Thermostat and fan switch. I never liked all of the play in the Type S shifter so I bought a JTC Short Shifter and extenders. The throws into each gear was fairly solid but going left to right, it still had what I thought was too much play. I ran this setup for a year before I upgraded the shifter again.

Comment

You've owned some really nice cars man! I personally love the NC MX5, they are a really good overall package IMO. Fun to drive, reliable and cheap to run. They also look hot once lowered moderately with the right set of wheels. In terms of driving its not as sharp as the S2000, but it wasn't designed to be. Keen to continue reading your adventure in transitioning from car to car.

Comment

That DC5S was great!

Looking forward to reading about the S2000
                        Shak's S2000

Comment

Originally posted by dfdc2r View Post
                          You've owned some really nice cars man! I personally love the NC MX5, they are a really good overall package IMO. Fun to drive, reliable and cheap to run. They also look hot once lowered moderately with the right set of wheels. In terms of driving its not as sharp as the S2000, but it wasn't designed to be. Keen to continue reading your adventure in transitioning from car to car.
                          Yeah the NC was a fun car to drive. I did consider getting coilovers and a set of wheels at one point but the S2000 is a car that i wanted.

Originally posted by Shakeel View Post
                          That DC5S was great!

Looking forward to reading about the S2000
                          Thanks Shak. Keen to see what's next for your S2000 as well, those white regamasters on your NFR !!

Comment

April 2012 - Exhaust
                            I was after a catback that would bolt on directly with the OEM cat as I didn’t want to go through the trouble of changing the headers and car. I liked the J’s racing 60rs look and sound but needed JDM headers and cat to fit. I eventually ordered the Toda Straight Tail Catback for the DC5. Unfortunately I had issues getting this so I decided to go with the BYP 70mm Titanium exhaust for the DC5. It was loud but not unbearable as a daily driver and on throttle off, you could hear a faint crackle which sounded great. Unfortunately with the design of the exhaust, it sat too far in from the rear bumper and melted a hole from the heat whenever I went to the track.

May 2012 - Dyno
                            I was interested to see what power it made and how the AFR was looking after a few light bolt-ons (intake + catback). I went to Ultimate Tunes in Canberra for a dyno run and made 130.5kw. The guy didn’t realise it was a Type S so the read out has Type R written on it.

Comment

June 2012 – Advanced Driver Training
                              After doing Defensive Driver training with Fifth Gear Motoring, I decided to do their advanced driver training course which involved me driving my car at Wakefield. This was my first track day so it was good to have the 1 on 1 training from an instructor learning about racing lines, braking techniques, track etiquette etc. I drove a couple of sessions and then handed over the keys to the instructor to have a go. Watching him drive was a good experience, seeing how late he brakes, the driving line etc. This showed me what my car was capable of and how much more I could improve on my driving.

Aug 2012, Oct 2012, and March 2013 – Speed off the Streets Track Day
                              I went to a few speed off the streets days at Wakefield and replaced the brake pads to Project Mu HC800 front and rear after the August track day which was a huge improvement from the stoptech pads that were on the car. There was no fade but there was significantly more dust which is no problem to clean.

I did a total of 4 track days with the DC5 and learnt a lot. I didn’t go to any events that ran natsoft timing but my fastest lap at Wakefield was in the mid 1:14s according to Harry’s Lap Timer.

June 2013- Ktuned Billet Shifter
                              I kept the JTC shifter for a while but I wanted something better. I decided to buy the Ktuned RSX Billet shifter box and what a difference. The throws were so solid and there was practically no play in the shifter going into gear and left to right. I didn’t get the chance to test it out at the track but even for daily driver, every shift felt great.

March 2014- Sold DC5S
                              I listed the car up on carsales and sold it 2 weeks later to a young guy in Orange.

Comment

Working...
                              X