No announcement yet.

Todd's new S2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed to world time attack challenge this past weekend and had the car entered into the show n shine on the Saturday. I rocked up with the car not looking very showy or shiny haha
    Parked with some friends from hillest and of course joe (JHUI) was there to capture some pics.

We all know what my car looks like and nothing has changed so I'll leave it at that.

The point of this post wasn't about show n shine car shows though it was about racing. I said to myself before the weekend that I would monitor the clubsprint times and if my current lap times weren't that bad I would consider entering and competing next year.
    Well at the end of the weekend and the results finalized going off my current PB at SMSP I would have come in 30th out of 37 entrants. This lap time was done on my second trackday with worn out 245 tyres, NA and with a couple basic mods.
    I feel with some new tyres and a couple more track days I could drop this down to 1:50s maybe even 1:49s and this would move me up to the 26/27 mark. After that there's a lot of cars in the 1:47 mark so I think I would be able to give it a good crack.
    By no means will I be entering it to win or set a record lap time but if I got somewhere in the 1:45-1:48 mark I would be really happy.

In saying all that I will take the next couple of months to weigh up my options. The biggest decision will be whether to go boost or stay NA. Obviously to be competitive I will have to go FI but maybe for my first year I should stay NA and just refine other aspects of the car.

Anyway enough rambling. We will see what happens. In the meantime 2 weeks till Wakefield
    Last edited by Toddxxx; 20-10-15, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Just go bolt on a supercharger. Just doooo itttt.
      1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

NA for the win! You need 20-25hp more and little bit lighter car.
        And your car looks cool right now!

Comment

Awesome goal Todd!
          Integra Type R
          Integra Type S
          S2000

Comment

Originally posted by eskimo_firefighter View Post
            Just go bolt on a supercharger. Just doooo itttt.
            I want the hks kit haha. Definitely in the future but I want to refine the car still. Anyone can go fast by just bolting a supercharger on the car

Originally posted by Joba View Post
            NA for the win! You need 20-25hp more and little bit lighter car.
            And your car looks cool right now!
            20-25hp gain from a s2k in NA form is a fairly big ask :P
            They aren't known to make much power from stock. Tuning the car should help me pick up a lot in the midrange though

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
            Awesome goal Todd!
            We will see if it comes to fruition or not over the next year haha

Comment

I need to start making these ClubS2K stickers then!

Go Todd!
              ClubITR | Like

Comment

Good that chat on the Friday Todd.

I like where this build is heading and the end goal.

Comment

You are right about the power increase on NA.

THe midrange is improved on my Greddy ECU setup. I also found the power delivery in VTEC is also increased. Awhile still very linear.
                  Integra Type R
                  Integra Type S
                  S2000

Comment

Originally posted by felixR View Post
                    I need to start making these ClubS2K stickers then!

Go Todd!
                    Haha yes you do!
                    I was going to mention them to you on the Saturday when you were talking to Cameron but didn't :P

Originally posted by Timmy_B View Post
                    Good that chat on the Friday Todd.

I like where this build is heading and the end goal.
                    Was nice to meet and talk to you too man.
                    I think our talks on Friday motivated me even more haha
                    We will see what happens in terms of actually competing next year

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                    You are right about the power increase on NA.

THe midrange is improved on my Greddy ECU setup. I also found the power delivery in VTEC is also increased. Awhile still very linear.
                    Do you know how power you made or are making man? The greddy is a cheap alternative to full stand alones but I think with my future plans and the fact I'm ceebs finding a loom for it just makes a standalone the more appealing option

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post

Was nice to meet and talk to you too man.
                      I think our talks on Friday motivated me even more haha
                      We will see what happens in terms of actually competing next year
                      Yeah deffo some good ideas we bounced off each other.

Btw I checked out your car on the Saturday up close.
                      You have some great thinking behind it and I can really see 'functional' thought goes into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy_B View Post
                        Yeah deffo some good ideas we bounced off each other.

Btw I checked out your car on the Saturday up close.
                        You have some great thinking behind it and I can really see 'functional' thought goes into it.
                        thanks man. functional is the only way to go about it

Comment

A boring day at work led to searching the net for parts and i came across a cracker of a deal on some diff mounts. I had always planned to upgrade all the stock oil filled rubber mounts to poly ones and after finding this deal i couldn't resist hitting that purchase button. I was deciding between hasport and innovative for mounts and ended up siding with innovative as they offered the bushing hardness i wanted, were black instead of polished billet aluminum, have good solid reviews on s2ki and are over $175 cheaper than their hasport counterparts.
                          I got the 85a race version for the diff and was informed on the internet that they would not increase vibration in the car at all so i wanted to test this out for myself (I had my doubts).

The mounts arrived on Monday and i didnt really have any time this week to install so i figured id leave them aside and install them after my next track day. My stock mounts were also fine so there was really no rush at all. My overtime shift today got cancelled and I was sitting at home so i figured why not? All up it took about an hour and a half and was very straight forward.
                          Some tips for anyone thinking about tackling this in the future.
                          *drop the exhaust and sway bar out of the way. Itll make the job 10000000x easier
                          *loosen the front mounts first then the rear and then remove all the mounts at once as youll need to shift the diff around to slide them off
                          *you cant reuse the stock 19mm bushing nuts as they are too long with the new thicker poly mounts. Trip to a bolt store and $2 got me 4 nylock nuts. Sizing is M12x1.25

stock nuts top, bolts provided with the kit middle (they sent me 3...), nylock bolts bottom

This is why i like the innovative kit. Once installed everything looks stock

After installing i can confirm that no extra vibrations are present. The throttle response and off the line response has definitely improved, as has the feel from the rear end. There is no longer the clunking feeling from the diff when taking off or slowing down in first gear which is good. Ive also noticed that my gearknob and shifter moves around a little less. Overall lots of positives from the install

I'll eventually order and install 75a transmission and engine mounts but again there's no real rush on that.
                          Last edited by Toddxxx; 31-10-15, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Nice! I had a set of innovative 75A diff mounts but I sold it to a mate instead. I figured mine weren't busted so I didn't need it yet. Haha. Thanks for the write up on the install.
                            1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Originally posted by eskimo_firefighter View Post
                              Nice! I had a set of innovative 75A diff mounts but I sold it to a mate instead. I figured mine weren't busted so I didn't need it yet. Haha. Thanks for the write up on the install.
                              Mine weren't busted either so that's why I was in no rush to install them but then the opportunity arose and I thought if they're ridiculous and vibrate like crazy I can just put the stock ones back in haha
                              All good though

Comment

02/11/15 EXE CREW WAKEFIELD TRACK DAY

Trackday number 8 and my first time back to Wakefield in 6 months. Was good to see a few Melbourne friends making their way up for the day after not seeing them for a year. Likewise a good group of Sydney friends made their way down as well. Was also stoked that this track day would have official natsoft timing so I could finally have a "legit" time for Wakefield and compare the accuracy of my phone lap timer app.

Before this track day I did the usual service and wheel alignment but this time I upped the front camber to -3 just to test it out and see how it changed the cars cornering ability. I also had the tyres flipped as they were quite worn on the inside edges from my toe and camber settings. I hoped this would give them enough life to last the two track days left for the year.
                                I knew in the back of my head that the tyres would be holding me back a little with less than optimum grip but i just wanted to get out there and race

Early morning meet ups to cruise down to the track

As you can see from the pic the weather on Monday morning was horrible. It rained all night and morning before the clouds parted and clear blue skies continued for the rest of the day.

SESSION 1
                                This was a passenger lap session and I basically unpacked the car and headed straight out as is. The track was still a little damp so I just cruised around and familiarized myself with the track again after having such a big break.
                                Car was feeling bad and sliding around due to tyre pressures and wet track and my drivers side mirror would spin and move every time I accelerated or braked so I came back in with a 1:12.6 lap time.

SESSION 2
                                Between the first session and this session I had to pull apart the door to get access to my apr mirrors where one of the bolts had come loose. Tightened it up and put the door back together, dropped the tyre pressures a little and headed back out.
                                This session I drove pretty poorly. I kept out braking myself and shifting back to second going into turn 2 for some reason. The car still felt like it was sliding around too much and just felt horrible over all. Despite all this I still posted a couple 1:11.xx lap times in this session.

SESSION 3
                                Dropped my tyre pressures a little more and concentrated on lines and braking and all that this session in an effort to maybe put together a fast lap that was nice and smooth. This method worked as I put down 4 1:11.xx in a row but still couldn't break into the 1:10s

SESSION 4
                                Kept everything the same and headed out. Car felt okay and I put down a few more 1:11.xx lap times before I got back flagged coming down the straight. I immediately thought something must be up with the car so I slowed down and cruised around the track which meant I held up a couple of people. Coming into the pit area the Wakefield guy looked angry and had a good yell at me lol. Turns out after tom went off track and caused a yellow flag I accelerated too quickly once passing him and then held up other people because I slowed down too much after being black flagged. I wasn't allowed back out for this session :P

SESSION 5
                                Missed most of this session due to my own negligence. Sat around for most of the break then decided to fuel up and lower tyre pressure again once the session had started. What felt like 2 minutes obviously wasn't and as I headed out I got the last flying lap exe flag so I got one lap in. Again it was a 1:11.xx lap. I could instantly tell that the car felt great for this one lap so I was itching to get back out in the last session.

SESSION 6
                                Last session of the day so I decided to just push the car and go for broke. Did one warm up lap and went straight into it posting 4 1:11.xx lap times in a row and finally got into the 1:10s with a 1:10.66 and 1:10.42 in the last 2 laps of the session/day. It wasn't until later on the way home that I realised the 1:10.42 lap was actually a PB by .1 haha

This particular track day was quite a frustrating one as I couldn't get the car to work with me for most of the day. Despite being 1 second off my PB for most of the day I was at least super consistent with multiple 1:11.xx in each session (16 in total)
                                I know it's the tyres holding me back and I could easily swap on a new set of 255s and get to my goal of 1:09.xx but I want to keep pushing on the worn 245s and hey if I'm doing these times on these tyres once I do the swap over to new tyres I should see vast improvements.

Due to said frustration I didn't bother filming any sessions throughout the day so no track day footage this time around.
                                I was happy with my phone lap timer though. Throughout the day it was the same as the natsoft timer to within .01.

That's it for now. Winton is on the 15th and now I'm contemplating doing circuit club at Wakefield in December as well. Hopefully the 245s can lay that long but we will see how we go.

Pros
                                -New PB (just)
                                -super consistent
                                -fixed my line through the kink to turn 2 and holding more speed through it now
                                -good fun day with friends
                                -phone lap timer on or with natsoft timing

Cons
                                -tyres are dead
                                -frustrating day
                                -no go pro footage

Final natsoft results. Good to see so many s2000s in the top half of the field

http://racing.natsoft.com.au/6376005...2.70K/Result?1

Some pictures from the trackday. Thanks to ying and preet for them

Last edited by Toddxxx; 05-11-15, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X