Todd's new S2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Figured i would update on the brake situation

After my last track day resulted in cooked brakes I knew I had to upgrade them (up until now I've been using OEM everything). I started collecting parts to do a full upgrade and after buying the last piece at the JDMYARD eoym/sale I was finally ready to do so. Being the end of the year I decided to buy a whole batch of new oils/fluids and do a full fluid change to get the car ready for a new year of trackdays.

The parts list:

Rda 300mm blank front rotors
    Rda 282mm blank rear rotors
    Project mu hc+800 front/rear pads
    HEL stainless braided brake lines
    APR brake duct kit Penrite
    5w-40 engine oil
    Hamp oil filter
    Amsoil mtf synchromesh trans oil
    Amsoil severe gear 75w110 diff oil
    Ate super blue dot 4 brake fluid

The Christmas/New Years period provided me with time off work and an opportunity to do the upgrade. Also being a police blitz period meant that the car wouldn't have been used anyway. So up it went on stands and it stayed this way for most of the holiday period.

I started on the rear and off came the wheels, calipers, old pads, rotors and finally the rubber brake lines. New braided HEL lines were fitted. I chose the HEL lines as they're made in Australia so they're ADR approved. One less thing I can get in trouble for. Next the new RDA rotors were fitted. As were the project mu pads. I took this opportunity to freshen up the calipers and gave them a good clean and a fresh coat of flat black paint. One last job was to heat wrap my suspension bushings. Heat wrapping the rubber bushing helps protect them from the heat of the brakes stopping premature wear.

Rear end all together

Now onto the front. Same process here. Wheels, calipers and rotors off. Stock brake line pulled out and replaced with a HEL braided item. With the whole front brake set up pulled off I again freshened up the front calipers with a clean and coat of flat black paint.
    I also had the god awful task of removing the oem brake shield to fit the APR carbon replacement. 3 little Phillips head screws hold this piece on. Only problem is all of them are seized and the hub is in the way -___-
    Easy way is to remove the hub but this means having to replace wheel bearings etc. Expensive exercise of your wheel bearings are fine (mine were/are). I ended up grinding off the end of a Phillips head screwdriver and using vice grips. Copious amounts of wd40 were also used. After that all you need to do is cut through the thinnest part of the shield and bend till it slides off the replace it with the APR version.

APR backing plate installed

After that was completed I fitted the new RDA rotors and project mu pads.

It was now time to run the ducting for the brake kit. Fiddled around for a while to get the best positioning to avoid rubbing. I also had to cut the guard lining to accommodate the ducting. As I'm not using my voltex front bumper yet I ran the ducts to the ap1 bumper front opening to avoid having to cut the bumper. There is a slight rub in one section on full lock but this is unavoidable as the ducting is 3inch. Just have to be aware of this when driving normally as I won't be hitting full lock on the racetrack.

Again finished it off by heat wrapping the front bushings.

Front end all together

Peak-a-boo

Finished the weekend by swapping all the fluids out for fresh new ones and using the gravity bleed method to bleed the new brakes in as well as the clutch.

We're now ready for the track days coming up this year!
    Last edited by Toddxxx; 13-11-15, 03:07 PM.

Comment

That's pretty cool.
      ClubITR | Like

Comment

Cool manm consider spraying the ducting black for a more stealth look. Or going for the racw car look?
        Integra Type R
        Integra Type S
        S2000

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
          Cool manm consider spraying the ducting black for a more stealth look. Or going for the racw car look?
          Race car look always haha
          No point as it won't be there always. Once I get the voltex bar it'll sit in behind the side ducts

Comment

Ducting looks good! Keen to hear your thoughts on the HC800 pads too.
            Like Cars For Hope | www.carsforhope.com.au | www.berty.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Berty View Post
              Ducting looks good! Keen to hear your thoughts on the HC800 pads too.
              Will definitely do a review after a bit of driving

Comment

Looking mint as always! Keen to hear back from the first track day of the year!

Comment

11 months later it has finally arrived

Still unsure of whether I'm going to spray it now and try to match it or just wait until I acquire my hardtop and rear bar so I'm able to do a whole closed door respray.
                  Last edited by Toddxxx; 13-11-15, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Oh my goodness...
                    Shak's S2000

Comment

Good stuff Todd, how was the fitment of the front bar?
                      1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Shakeel View Post
                        Oh my goodness...

Seeing you on Monday man?

Originally posted by eskimo_firefighter View Post
                        Good stuff Todd, how was the fitment of the front bar?
                        Lined up and clicked straight in first try 100% man
                        I just did a very rough fitment just to check before it goes off to storage man

Comment

Do you have mesh covers for the ducts?
                          Integra Type R
                          Integra Type S
                          S2000

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                            Do you have mesh covers for the ducts?
                            Just for picture purposes I threw the ducts into the side bit. Once it's all finished I'll be making some mounting pieces for the front bumper for the tubing to attach to. May or may not use mesh cover

Comment

Oh wow
                              ClubITR | Like

Comment

19/01/15 - JDMYARD WAKEFIELD TRACKDAY

First trackday of the year done and dusted. goal was set to achieve a 1:10.xx lap time. Convinced my girlfriend to come down for passenger sessions as well so it was shaping up to be a good day.
                                Prep was done with the brake upgrade so i just had to swap the 17s to the 16s and get an alignment. Well the second part didnt happen. Another trackday without an alignment -___- you would think i'd have learnt by now haha

The drive down consisted of patchy rain and gloomy skies so our day wasnt off to a great start. Apparently it was raining everywhere except wakefield though so that was a plus. The trackday was a private day held by JDMYARD for their cars and customers. Andrew Brilliants eclipse and the JDMYARD eg were out testing throughout the day so that was a sight to see

The first couple of sessions i took my girlfriend out and practiced with the new brakes. everything felt great so i went out for a session by myself to try and beat my pb. As soon as i started pushing it the car felt really bad. Felt sloppy and had heaps of body roll, was understeering a lot, out of the horseshoe the car was failing to grip on the inside wheel. Constantly came in to change the angle of my wing and play with the tyre pressures but nothing seemed to help. I was constantly sitting around the 1.12 mark.
                                Figured my lack of alignment had ruined my chances of achieving my goal so did some more passenger laps with the girlfriend for fun.

We were leaving early as we both had work that night so i went back out for one more solo session to try and beat my pb/get a 1.10. Before going out i did one more tyre pressure adjustment and as soon as i got out there the car felt 10 times better. I pushed and pushed this last session and the data afterwards showed. Constant high 1.11s, 5 in a row in fact with the best being 1:11.34. A NEW PB!!! Only marginally but a pb is a pb.

The lap wasnt as clean as my 1:11.59 (i believe) and i had traffic on the last turn so i know there's lots more in it in its current state. My driving can also get A LOT better.
                                I'd like to do another trackday with the OEM 16s but i've sold them already. No changes to the car for the next track day other than having the 17s and i will get an alignment this time!

PROS
                                -New PB
                                -Average time is a lot lower compared to last track day. I had 8 1:11.xx lap times this time compared to 2 last trackday
                                -Held more speed through the top of the track
                                -Brakes are great and pull up better than OEM
                                -Nothing broke
                                -Gopro recorded well this time and i was able to export in HD

CONS
                                -Running out of gear on back straight (tried shifting to 4th to keep on the accelerator. Not sure if benefits or not)
                                -Braking too early as im used to the OEM brakes
                                -Stop backing off before the kink
                                -Still slow down the straight (final drive or ecu and tune is needed)
                                -Learn to heeltoe properly!
                                -Oil temp got up to 126 degrees at stages. time to invest in an oil cooler me thinks

MENTAL NOTES
                                -RS3 like to sit around 38 hot i've found

Video of PB lap (watch in HD)

Comment

Working...
                                X