No announcement yet.

Todd's new S2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did re balancing the wheel due to sensors fix it, or did u remove sensors?
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
      did re balancing the wheel due to sensors fix it, or did u remove sensors?
      Just re balanced the wheels. All good now

Comment

Well track day booked at SMSP on the 19th. Time to beat Tiltons record lol...

Comment

Alignment and oil change performed today. Ready to race tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
            Alignment and oil change performed today. Ready to race tomorrow!
            Sent my car off for an alignment today aswell, what are your specs
            IG: tonytr

Comment

-2.3 degrees camber front and rear (or close enough)
              6.1 degrees castor front
              0mm toe front
              1mm toe in each side (2mm toe in total rear)

Comment

19/05/15 - FORMULA COMPANY SMSP TRACK DAY

Track day number 6 for the car and myself but the first time at Sydney Motorsport Park. The event was held by The formula Company with race cars having the morning session (8am-12pm) and road cars having the afternoon session (1pm-5pm). Road cars were split into beginner and advanced groups with 6x20min sessions each.
                I chose the beginner group as this was my first time at SMSP and was unsure of what to expect. In hindsight I really should've chosen the advanced group as I was held up a lot during my sessions. At least I know now for next time.

Overall the day ran very smoothly with zero issues. The track used was the Gardner GP circuit (3.93km) which is the same circuit used during WTAC so it was cool to be able to compare to the cars that run in that event during the day (still a long way to go before I'm at their level).
                I'll just get this out of the way now before we begin with the session breakdowns.
                I LOVE SMSP!!! The track is amazing! It is fast but it's very flowing and was so much fun to drive on.
                Having only raced at Wakefield before It was a bit daunting at first but after a few laps you learn that there is just so much room.

Session One
                I used the first session of the day to learn the track and get a feel for it and the car and eased into it lap after lap. The first couple of laps I was cautious and trying to follow other cars and learn lines.
                By the end of the session though I was lapping around the 2.00 minute mark.
                Throughout this session the car felt very neutral and was very easy to control as I went faster and faster. For this reason I opted to not adjust anything on the car for the rest of the day and to just focus on my driving lines etc.

Session Two
                This session was more of the same from the last as I just continued to push harder and harder. It was a big jump going from Wakefield where the top speed is 170km/h down the straight to SMSP where you're going through turn 1 at the same speed.
                The car continued to feel really good and inspired a lot of confidence though and I continued to push harder and brake later.
                Times in this session dropped into the 1.56s.
                Encountered a fair bit of traffic this session as well.

Session Three
                Pushed more and the car just went where I put it. Lots and lots of traffic this session and really only got two clean laps in. These two laps are the ones in the video. Back to back 1:54.0x. Both laps weren't the cleanest either with the fastest lap (1:54.03) having a mess up at turn 6 where I downshifted another gear for some reason and over braked then up shifted again. This dropped my speed through this turn by 12km/h and definitely stopped me from getting a 1:53.xx lap time.

Session Four
                Decided to get an instructor in the car for this session to help me better my lines throughout the track. Main issue was turn 2 where I consistently took different lines and couldn't quite figure out how to best attack it.
                Having the instructor in the car was a great help and I learnt a few places other than turn 2 where I could better my lines. Not even pushing 100% my times were around the 1.55s so his help was working. After a few laps of me driving I asked him to do a few laps driving to see just how the car could drive with a professional behind the wheel. He obviously didn't push 100% but even still he was braking a lot later than I was and carrying much higher speeds through turns etc
                He lapped a 1.51 on his second lap in the car so I know there's plenty more left in it.
                He commented on how well the car turned in and rotated through turns and felt very flat throughout the track. He was very impressed with the car so that's a good sign on how it is set up currently smile emoticon

Session Five
                After having the instructor in the car I was really keen to get out in this session and push harder than I had done so far in the day. Encountered a lot of traffic and only got a few solid laps in before it started to lightly rain.
                One particular lap I got held up behind a car through turn 7 and 8 easily costing me 2+ seconds. That lap was still a 1:54.66 so again I wish I had a clean lap to put down a solid time.
                After the rain started to fall a few cars left the track and there was less traffic. During this period I put down 3 back to back 1.55s but the wet track just meant I wasn't going to get maximum grip.

Session Six
                By this stage the rain had started to fall a bit heavier. No new PBs we're going to be set with the conditions so I decided to leave early as I had work that night.

PROS:
                -car feels great! (square set up is amazing)
                -good consistent lap times
                -a lot more time still left in the car
                -instructor session yielded lots of info/tips

CONS:
                -weather hampered last two sessions
                -really need to fix go pro recording (don't like how dark it records)
                -so much traffic! Advanced group next time
                -tyres are near wear indicators

Comment

In less exciting news i pulled my head unit out today hoping to find an aux input in the back. I currently only have an iPhone 4 30-pin connector that came with the head unit for music so im unable to play music through my current iPhone 5.
                  Upon pulling out my head unit i discovered a modifry dci connector (WIN!!!!)
                  Ive always been happy with my current head unit but no AUX input was a bit of a downside. Now that i know that i have the modifry connector and i wont lose my dash controls i think its time to search for a new head unit

Any recommendations on good alpine/kenwood head units? (brands the dci connector is made for)
                  A bit of info
                  -i dont really use my radio/music much so i dont need a top of the line head unit
                  -only real requirements is AUX input and alpine or kenwood

thanks for any info in advance

Comment

Hey Todd,

Thought I'd chime in. Like your build - keep it up.
                    As for the headunit, I got a Alpine CDE121E in my car..It's awesome.
                    http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=204
                    Charges iPhone5 pretty quick. Also, select USB input when the iPhone is connected and it will autoplay from Music and you have full functionality of browsing playlists and songs through the headunit, as well as skipping and all the basic stuff... I find it handy just coz of the charging and playing..benefit over the AUX.
                    FD3S Questions? Pm me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mothius View Post
                      Hey Todd,

Thought I'd chime in. Like your build - keep it up.
                      As for the headunit, I got a Alpine CDE121E in my car..It's awesome.
                      http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=204
                      Charges iPhone5 pretty quick. Also, select USB input when the iPhone is connected and it will autoplay from Music and you have full functionality of browsing playlists and songs through the headunit, as well as skipping and all the basic stuff... I find it handy just coz of the charging and playing..benefit over the AUX.
                      thanks man will look into it.
                      tbh front usb/aux input isnt really appealing as in the s2000 i have to have the radio door closed as to not get in the way of the gearknob
                      i guess all im really looking for is rear AUX input haha

Comment

Ended up turning away from the new head unit idea as i liked my current head unit and it worked fine for my needs and well this option was much cheaper.
                        Bought one of these 30pin to 8pin auxiliary adapters.

It converts the old iphone 4 30pin connection to the newer iphone 5 8 pin connector and in doing so i can keep and use my old ipod classic and new iphone 6.

Win win really

Comment

A couple weekends ago i went for a drive up into the mountains to get some photos of the car. Being autumn there was some awesome colours around that really went well against the silver of the car. This was my first time using a 'real' camera as i usually just take photos with my iphone haha. Good learning experience and i ended up getting some tips from my photographer friends for next time.

Comment

Long weekend update time.
                            As any S2000 owner knows under hood temps are a real problem with the car especially once you start tracking. To try and fix this issue i decided to do a bit of a DIY job over the weekend.

For a while now i've been tossing up whether to buy an aftermarket header or not and with the only real option i was considering (js racing SPL header) being $1200+ i decided to stick with the stock header for now and modify it a bit. The truth is $1200 can go towards a lot of better upgrades on the S2000 and the stock header itself is actually quite good with plenty of fast cars still utilising it. The main draw back is the weight (11.3kg with all heat shields). Not having the main top heat shield on the header meant that LOTS of heat was escaping on my car and this needed fixing.

First up was removing the header from the car. Its a fairly easy job as long as the car is up high. Just takes lots of twisting and turning to get it around the engine mount etc
                            Once out i removed the remaining heat shields and weighed it again. With the heat shields removed the header weighed in at 9.3kg so 2kg removed already.

It was time to pull out the grinder and start attacking the heat shield tabs on the header as these would no longer be in use and would get in the way of the heat wrap later on.
                            Once done the tabs ended up weighing in at 800g so a little more weight was taken out of the header and overall it looked a lot neater

semi shaved header ft. work supervisor haha

To do the next step i had considered getting the header ceramic coated but after ringing a few places and getting quotes it was obvious that heat wrapping would only be a fraction of the cost so i decided to stick with that and bought DEI titanium heat wrap (the good stuff) and some thermo-tec high temp sealant spray.
                            There are lots of for and against fights over the net regarding heat wrapping headers but i decided to go ahead with it anyway. If my header decides to rust and fall apart in one month like im told it will itll just be the motivation i need to purchase the Js racing header i really want haha

Products used to wrap the header. The high temp silicone sealant spray actually protects the metal from water and salts and other road debris from rotting the metal so its great when used with heat wrap!

Few coats of the sealant later and its dry and ready to wrap

I bought a 1inch wide x 50foot long wrap as i was only planning on wrapping the top section of the header and using 1inch wide wrap on the primaries provides a neater finish.
                            Did the usual estimate of length needed for each individual runner then cut and overlapped 1/4 each time i went around and finished off each end with metal cable ties.
                            Make sure you wear long sleeves and gloves when doing this. I didnt and was itchy for ages haha

The end result

I opted to only wrap the top half of the header as this is the section that directly affects the under hood temps. Leaving the bottom exposed wont have any ill affects on it as it sits under the car and heat will just exit there. Leaving the bottom unwrapped also protects the header as the wrap wont get wet in the winter/wet months and corrode the metal. This seemed to be the most popular argument against wrapping the header so this way i get the benefits of heat wrapping but avoid the potential risk of destroying the header through water log and corrosion.

Installing the headers back into the car is a pain and again takes twisting and turning in the right directions to get them in. Best way is to have someone on top pulling them up as you twist them. Once they're back on the car turn it on and let it sit on idle for 10mins to allow the wrap to burn in and smoke etc. I took it for a short drive after this and they continued to smoke for a short while but after this first drive i have not had an issue.

Final weight was 9kg with all the wrap so a saving of 2.3kg was achieved.
                            Under hood temps have lowered dramatically. I wish i had a pyrometer to accurately measure the difference but even with street driving the difference is noticeable. I can now park, pop the bonnet and instantly touch the heat shield right next to the header without burning my hand whereas before i could not do this. Ive even touched the header directly whereas before i would not even think of doing this haha.

This wasn't the only DIY i did to help with under hood cooling. After completing the header wrap i removed the rubber weather strip along the back edge of the windscreen/bonnet and placed 2 small washers under each bonnet hinge. Doing so has created a space for air to exit form under the hood due to it now being a low pressure point. Win!

That's all for today.

Comment

Joe (J_HUI) did a few edits of the car over the weekend using a few parts I have sitting around and a few that I plan to order and a few of his own crazy ideas haha

The version my car will resemble more or less in the future.
                              (Really getting me motivated to sort out the exterior of my car to finally look like this.)

A bit of digital livery

And a full blown camo livery haha

Comment

i see the missing canard has been added =P
                                IG: tonytr

Comment

Working...
                                X