X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My DC2 Type R with a K :)

Hey Peeps

George here....

Been posting a few pics up on the FB page of club ITR and been getting a few requests to share my story on Club ITR

thought i would give it a go on the forums

Coming from a motorbike background i have always loved that great N/A Rev and sound feeling. Been through quite a few bikes ranging from Yamaha R1 to CBR 600. Unfortunately it got me into alot of trouble and lost my license for a while.

After endless arguments with the oldies it was obvious i was not getting back on one again. It was mainly my decision but that feeling never left me

Which brought me to cars. So i thought and decided what is the best naturally Aspirated car that gives me that little sensation? Honda? Ferrari? Lambo? Lexus LFA?. Honda it was lol

The only issue i had was more power and more power. Basically everybody on this site i would assume. So it was time. Started off with a Delsol CRX and did a JDM b18 conversion. Was fun at the time. But my brother had just purchased a DC5 S. He was faster after Kpro, Which pretty much ended the days of the little crx. Not long after i had purchased a DC5s myself and was ready to go the same way. Was perfect. Loved It. Still Do

Little problem though, No LSD, Pretty Heavy, Weak Engine Mounts and honestly its my daily and i just couldnt modify it by because it just drives so well standard

Which brings me here today.

It was time to buy the best shape and car Honda have ever built.. IMO ofcourse

The Dc2 type R

[/IMG]

So now i have both cars in the garage and it was an honest struggle to figure out which car i would take to work in the morning.

Something had to happen and change asap because it was honestly driving me crazy on decision making in the morning.

So here Goes

Purchsed a 09 K20z4 with 6speed out of the FN2 Civic for the Teggy's new heart <3

And got pretty lucky aswell with a 6peed LSD

So here i am with a k20 and a dc2 Type R with the biggest grin on my face but at the same time a realisation hits me that the homework has to begin.

First of all.

Sell Engine B18c7. Check
    Take out the B18c7 - Its happening this weekend
    Do Homework for kswap - Check

Started this 5 weeks ago.

This was on the 1/06/13

Everything was going perfect, Had the Shafts out and rear Engine Mount, Decided to get stuck on the Shifter arms as we couldn't get the pin out to remove it from the block. Had to resort to excessive force and it came out after an hour..... No idea why they press the end of the pin. Meh

After that was done we came to pulling the motor out and removing the gearbox mount and passengers rail mount, Couldnt decide to put it up in the air or down on the ground.

After the rear engine mount bracket decided to be stubborn we opted to drop the motor on the floor and then use the engine stand to lift the car in the air while we simply just slid the motor out from underneath

All was well. The new owner of the motor wanted to take the standard exhaust aswell, My mate decided to start attacking it and after an hour he was ready to kill someone. lol.

Very hard to take the standard exhaust off while the cars bum is on the ground while you are working on the floor. Sorry Anthony

Grabbed the egk1 engine mounts and starting grinding the drivers side mount off, came up really well and i am really happy so far with finish

Mocked up the engine mounts and drilled the 1/2 inch holes to drop the bolts down to fit the new hassport mount on.

Came up a treat.

By this time we had the motor out by lunch time and thought to ourselves that we could dummy fit the engine mounts with heaps of time to spare

Last edited by Jorge; 09-07-13, 07:51 AM.

My mates happy as F$#K that its out. lol

Engine bay was empty so i ran upstairs and grabbed the hassports Mounts

01 B18c7 Vs 09 K20z4

Layed all the B stuff on the floor as it was getting picked up today by its new owner.

Drivers side Mount ready to go BYE BYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Removed the mount and started with file finish

Really happy with the finish

Need to clean that Engine bay !!!

This is what is left of the drivers side Engine mount

After getting it on the trolley i decided to start taking off the standard exhaust manifold and the RSP intake as it is getting port matched with his new friend (S90 70mm throttle body)

Standard K20z4 Headers :S

Mid Shaft on

And My Happy Shot of the Day

All in a days work

Comment

next update was on the 3/06/2013

the drivers side was painted while the box and intake manifold was taken off.

Paint is still fresh

Looking good so far, Next the wiring lume goes on.

intake needs to get honed to suit the s90 70mm tb and hopefully the clutch lands tomorrow aswell so we can start installing that and get to start dummy fitting the motor.

Mates brought up a little issue and they think we should weld the drivers side mount onto the rail aswell.

I was thinking tacking the circles against the frame rail after we dummy fit the motor

Comment

this update was on the 05/06/13

Clutch and flywheel ready to go in tonight. Replacing Rear main seal and fan belt to go with it

Buying Crinkle Paint after i finish work and the RSP intake is getting some nice treatment.

Just wanted to add that Going to JDM Yard is like Christmas!!!!! Zi and Yonas are absolute Champions. Thanks fellas

Walbro fuel Pump,Hassport Kswap Driveshafts,Ktuned Fuel rail, Ktuned Reg, Ktuned Guage and Ktuned Fuel Lines

And this is what the RSP will look like by the end of tonight

Paint wise and fingers crossed!!

RSP Now has a 70mm opening to suit the adapter plate and TB

Clutch kit Landed with Machined Flywheel

Also Purchased a Rear main seal, Fan belt and Red and Black Wrinkle Paint

Clutch is an ACS Extreme Series - Stage 2 Cushioned Ceramic. Opted for this over the exedy Ceramic because the exedy only comes in Sprung Ceramic veriosn where this is a Cushioned Ceramic. Basically The same Clutch but easier on the foot as it will be daily driven where the sprung is harder on the foot. Both Clutches (Exedy & ACS) were similar in price.

Its all going in tonight while the Intake and the Engine Cover gets all wrinkly

This was uploaded simply because it puts a grin on my face

Updated 06/06/2013

Was too distracted and only the intake was painted. Paint is fresh and hopefully it does not stay this glossy otherwise its not happening!!

Focused on the calender instead of the Intake Accidently. Honest Mistake!!

In the oven lol

It stinks bad!!

Comment

Update on 8/06/2013

Intake still drying but looking better

Cleaned the gearbox before fitting

Fitted rear main seal + clean

Machined Flywheel on

Clutch and pressure plate fitted

Thrust bearing on

Intake manifold and Gearbox fitted.

Charge harness ready to go and Hasports mounts on

Engine harness needs abit of a cleanup but it will come good

Comment

Update 9/06/2013

Set up for dummy fit to go under the car on trolley

Then I got Anthony to lift the car. No need for engine hoist

Lowered it over the motor

After dummy fit we got to welding the hasport mount

Clean welds and prep for paint

Primer

Happy with the outcome

Welding came out so good along with the paint.

Motor ready to get bolted in.

And it's IN

Happyyyyyy dayyyyssss

Comment

Update 10/06/2013

Hasports shafts are in

Ready for rolling on its wheels

Shift linkage clipped on and transferred to empty shifter box :s

Love this shot

Update 12/06/2013

PLM V2 Skunk 2 type Header 4-2-1

Next is Aircon & Power steering < have no idea. Might just order Hybrid Racing Kits

Throttle Cable, Clutch line, Fuel Rail + lines, Radiator & Fans, heater hoses, Shifter Box (Still Waiting), intake and wiring is left + Kpro

Still have heaps of work to go :S

Update 14/06/2013

Took the engine cover off tonight to get it ready for paint

I was told the motor had done 20xxx Kms before it was written off in 2011. The Fn2 it came out of was an 09 model and the cluster photo attached with the motor was reading at the 20k mark.

Didn't believe it first but I think I do now

I have not dropped oil at all and motor is still as is from when I purchased it 2months ago

Engine cover looked like this when it came off

Sorted out and moved power steering canister and plugged it up to the pump

The hood is prepped for its treatment to clear pump. lol

Air con is now deleted along with lines

Moved Coolant bottle ready for radiator tomorrow

And this is a before shot of the engine cover before its new paint is payed on over the weekend.

Connected a few heater hoses aswell and also made a list of what other hoses and lines I need to buy over the weekend

Comment

Update 15/06/2013

Dropped Sub Frame because the Shift Linkage wouldn't Fit. Took a while

Mounted Radiator and customized brackets plus fitting hoses. The Mishimoto X-Line was too big, Mainly Because the RSP is a fatty.

bought a brand new DC5 Radiator Instead

Fitted Clutch line aswell

Ran Power Steering lines from the reservoir to the cooler lines

Painted Engine Cover, Still Wet and Honda Mat red will be painted over once dried

Hood Came off and grinded out the webbing to cleer the P/S Pump, Mate Cut his hand with the grinder and needed stitches. lol.

He still did a great job after he was stitched up!!!

Well in Anthony

And bonnet sits Flush now and clears everything with ease

Thats all for todays work, Still havent come around to the engine harness and conversion harness.

Need to get a Fan belt and waiting on kpro and shifter Box.

Deciding on running a Push or Pull fan for the radiator. Might need a push fan or get a Idle Control valve relocator bracket and that way i can run a pull fan setup.

15/06/2013

Grabbed oils today

New fan belt and power steering setup Complete

Modified end of dc2 fitting to dc5 PS line with high pressure fitting

And power Steering is complete

Attacking the harness and bleeding clutch

And stripping the engine cover because it looks sh!t

Update 18/06/2013

Stripped the engine Cover. Doing it properly. So annoying

Comment

Update 19/06/2013

Everything including shafts are in and car is ready for rolling. Shifter box is the only thing I'm waiting for

Lines and hoses are all setup and waiting on engine cover and wiring to install kpro. Then all the ktuned fuel stuff goes on after that.

Apart from that I just need to finish off bottom radiator hose and install slim fan and a CAI for the finishing touch

Few other things like IACV adapter and cleaning up wires etc

20/06/2013

Time for the oven bake

Finally I'm satisfied. Came out like this after the oven last night.

Putting it on tomorow. Taken with Flash. Looks more glossy here.

Shine came down alot this morning

Wiring, Slim fan, bottom rad hose and wiring getting all done on Saturday!

Waiting on IACV relocate adapter, HR shifter box, Kpro and exhaust. Everything else Is pretty much done

22/06/2013

Bit of a lazy day today, went running around looking for a slim fan and due to rain we wasted alot of time in traffic. So Annoying!!

Ended up taking shock tower wiring back into cabin and worked on the other wiring aswell to get the conversion harness ready for installing

Also Fitted the Engine and cover.

Passengers side

Drivers side

In cabin shots

Bought OEM Honda gasket and salistic to fit the engine cover on

And a few happy shots lol

This one makes it feel like I'm getting closer to the end

Comment

update on 24/06/2013

Engine Harness and Shock tower wiring all inside Cabin now.

Adapted the k20z4 plastic shroud to the K20a harness

Shortened and lengthened a few wires to make it as neat as possible

I'm up to here from last nights efforts. All of this side is done and I have Injectors and T/B left to wire up

And the rail was dummy fitted to see where I'm putting the Reg and the Injector Wiring.

That was Yesterday's work and today I will go back downstairs and start cleaning it up and making it look alot neater.

F$#k I hate Wires!!

Update 25/06/2013

Dummy fitting Reg. think I'm happy with this spot. But the gauge is going on the fuel Rail. Don't like it down there

[IMG]http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af292/G_kara/null_zpse96a802f.jpg[/

26/06/2013

Lengthened Injector Wires

Adapted the k20z4 plastic shroud to the k20a Harness. Wires under tb still need a clean up

And today I picked up a few parts from the boys out West!!

Wanted to thank Jimmy and Benny from BYP for sorting out my rad fan issues and saving me from ordering the MTEC Springs from overseas

And thanks to Zi and Yonas from JDM yard for Saving me on the IACV Adapter plate. Another big Save

Champions

Comment

update 27/06/2013

IACV Adapter on, Injector wiring (tucked & grounded) and brake booster line connected from RSP Intake

Brake Booster hose run under Intake and up around the same side as PS line along with Fuel Line

Radiator slim fan on

Injector wiring tucked and grounded + heater pipe blocked

IACV Relocator + TB fitted and ready for CAI. Just wire clean up underneath.

Update 29/06/2013

Conversion harness rad switch and temp sensor tucked and installed
                      Radiator and fan plus mounting brackets
                      Wiring in engine bay completed
                      Heater hoses sorted
                      Battery bracket and charge lume
                      Throttle body is sorted and salistic on
                      Heat shield cover off for headers. Easier to run shift linkage
                      Steering boots changed

And charcoal canister was stolen today

So fuel filter and the other breather line will be T pieced together and run to right guard plastic shroud to vent the vapour

Didn't take photos of all that stuff cause its boring and gay

Took these though

CAI is left, throttle Cable, washer bottle needs to be relocated, Shifter box, exhaust and kpro is what is left

Apart from that the engine bay is pretty much done and all I need to do is clean up a few nigly bits and fit the Mtec Springs and sort out the FPR gauge and lines

I found a mounting place for the charcoal canister aswell

Looks awesome

Comment

Update 1/07/2013

Dummy fit CAI

Fuel rail Guage dummy fit

Relocated washer bottle.... Champion Jimmy!!!

Still need to clean it up a bit

Fitted Mtec Race Springs

Update 03/07/2013

Fitted CAI, Fuel setup complete and front bar went on. Did a few other things aswell

Front bar on

Throttle cable, bottom rad hose, kpro and shifter box plus in cabin wiring is left

Comment

Update 05/07/2013

Ground clearance

And yep

Update 7/07/2013

5 weeks. Not a bad effort for b18 out and starting k20

Shifter box lands this week Thursday according to FedEx. My kpro is ready this week aswell from JDM Yard.

Engine bay is pretty much done. Just a few things I wanna change around and make neater.

Car is needs to go around the block so the suspension can settle. Plus a wash... Depressing to look at dirty

Plastic shrouds need to go on aswell

Conversion harness and inside cabin will get a cleanup through the week.

Exhaust will hopefully be on this Saturday.

Planning for a big week so fingers crossed.

This is where i am at guys. Soz about quality of pics. All taken on the iphone lol

Hope you enjoy the read peeps

Cheers

George
                          Last edited by Jorge; 08-07-13, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Effing amazing, great job capturing all the pics of the process. Don't understand much but looks real fun.

Comment

Looks like fun now lol

It started on the weekend and im estimating its about 2 weeks away now.

Fingers crossed
                              Last edited by Jorge; 08-07-13, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X