Symphorced's EP3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symphorced's EP3

Been here quite a number of years now so I thought I'd finally make a build thread - not only to share with you guys, but also to keep track of everything for myself haha.

I first purchased the car back in late 2010. Being on my P-plates, I wanted a relatively 'fast' car that was still legal for me to drive (as all p-platers want) - in the end it was either going to be an EP3 or a DC5 that I was going to buy. It just so happened that this car popped up at a really good price and I had to have it.

The car had a few modifications done to it already:

J's Racing front strut brace
    Apexi VAFC2
    GruppeM intake (with SFS induction hose)
    Defi gauges (oil temperature, water temperature and oil pressure)

Here is how the car looked when I first got it way back when:

First mods I purchased from the car from JDMYard were some ricey parts:

(and yes I do now know that it was not a smart idea to run tapered aftermarket lug nuts on OEM wheels)

After that, I decided I needed to do a few more aesthetic modifications to the car. Was never fond of the front end of the car and had always wanted the Mugen front lip seeing as it is a lot more aggressive.

However, the downside to this was it would now start scraping while driving in/out of my driveway:

It was around about this time that I decided to lower my car (yes - strong logic in this one) and get some new wheels for it too. I started looking for a set of BBS LMs in aggressive specs. Finally found the set I wanted on eBay which was coming of an FD3s. 17x9 +20. Purchased a set of BC Racing BR coilovers for the car too. However, I knew before I could pull off dropping the car and running extra negative camber I needed a few more parts for the car. I ordered some Todd's shortened tie rods, Akom inverted tie rod ends and Hardrace rear camber kit. After lowering the car, I realised it was trapped inside the garage so the Mugen lip had to go and be replaced with the stock lip again.

Around about this time was when I also finally received my TODA exhaust system (ordered about 9 months prior) - thanks to the help of fellow member ChargeR who drove it back with him from Honda Nationals.

Next chapter: Beginning of my track addiction

Nice man! love this car

Comment

beautiful car with quality mods!

Comment

FUCKING FINALLY

i admit ive searched up your "started threads on here and ozhonda hoping youd have a build thread from before.

all i found was FS and WTB threads

about time.

Comment

yeah I was also waiting for this, nice
          Shak's S2000

Comment

Lovely EP3 mate!
            DC2R - J's Racing

Comment

Nice work Tim! I'm keen to see how where this build goes.
              Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

I think your missing one really expensive mod that just came in and it starts with Js LOL.

And of course nice car =)
                Instagram: @ictorv2 & @00zaku

Comment

Good work Tim! (It's about time )

Comment

Re: Symphorced's EP3

Good to see a build thread from you Tim! Looking forward to more progress!

Comment

Originally posted by amee-reb View Post
                      Nice man! love this car
                      Originally posted by danielsim917 View Post
                      beautiful car with quality mods!
                      Originally posted by Shakeel View Post
                      yeah I was also waiting for this, nice
                      Originally posted by Blitzwing View Post
                      Lovely EP3 mate!
                      Originally posted by mugsee View Post
                      Nice work Tim! I'm keen to see how where this build goes.
                      Originally posted by M@lew View Post
                      Good work Tim! (It's about time )
                      Thanks guys! Yes, the thread is about 2 years and 3 months overdue. Writing in the past tense feels quite weird and there's a lot which I've forgotten to mention/skimmed through which sort of sucks. But those who know me, also know I'm extremely lazy.

Originally posted by stienerv2 View Post
                      I think your missing one really expensive mod that just came in and it starts with Js LOL.

And of course nice car =)
                      Patience, my friend! We'll get there... plus it wasn't that expensive haha.

Originally posted by Oz Striker View Post
                      Good to see a build thread from you Tim! Looking forward to more progress!
                      Thanks mate! Next post shuld be up within the next day. Just need to find the time to sit down and compose my thoughts lol!

Comment

After about a year of ownership and having every person who I met ask me if I had tracked my car, I decided it was about time to get my shit together and take the car to the track. I started by acquiring a set of TE37s (17x9.5 +40 and 17x7.5+30) and slapped a second hand pair of Toyo R1Rs on the fronts and Bridgestone RE050As on the rear.

After that, all it needed was then a good service and would be ready for the track. I took the car down the road to a workshop who helped adjust my valve clearances. Once I got the car back I changed the oil to Redline 5w30 and installed na set of Mugen engine mounts. I decided on going with a Mugen set as the car is still, to this day, my daily driver and I need my comfort. After having asat in eskimo_firefighter's EP3 with Hasport 75as I don't think I can handle the rattles on a daily basis haha!

With that all done, and about a year and a half of good track time wasted, I was finally ready for my first track day. After hearing about the awesome track days which the EXE crew organise, I really wanted an EXE track day to be my first track experience so I entered the Winton track day which they had organised for the 20/05/2012. About a day after I had sent in my form, to my dismay, I was told that the day was already full and that I was on the waiting list. Knowing that EXE only organise 2-3 days at Winton each year, I almost resigned to the fact that one of my first track experience woulkd have to be a Tampered day (notorious for being fill with rude and discourteous drivers). That was until one week prior to the EXE track day, I received a email in my inbox in the middle of the night notifying me that an attendee had pulled out and I was offered a position! EXcitedly, I sent through payment on the spot and secured my position. Finally, time to hit the track! When the day arrived, I was so excited I couldn't get any sleep the night before. Drove up there with fellow member butter. What a day! No wonder everyone rants and raves about going to the track. It certainly is an experience - not only the awesome feeling of legally hitting VTEC through corners but also the friendly competetive atmosphere that was there. A big thanks to member tripitaka who gave me pointers on the day as I had absolutely no idea what I was doing out there. Ended the day with a best of 1.53.9 which I was extremely happy with. Car was a little tail happy through certain hairpins due to the worn RE50as on the rear but all was good and I had great fun. Some shots of the day from various photographers:

That one day changed my view on where I wanted to take my car completely. Before, I was quite happy with a midly lowered car with fat wheels and stretched tyres... now I wanted to continue taking the car out to Winton and best my time there.

Comment

nice..........
                          my sale thread 21.01.12
                          CLICK & BUY AWAY

Comment

Haha holy crap, didn't know you had a build thread. Good stuff man. Needs more updates!
                            1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Great work Tim!

Was fun battling it out with you and Mike (green civic sedan) at the EXE day.

Comment

Working...
                              X