This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slim View Post
    I'll offer to pay what the car is actually worth, as opposed to what an owner THINKS it's worth

In all seriousness, if a dealer sells a stocker with marginally more kms, for less money AFTER adding their margin to the car AND giving a years rego, you know that the market value is around 5k less than the dealer price. The other thing to bear in mind is that you can pick up a type-s with 2x,000km for mid 30's from a dealer, you pretty much just have to accept that a type-r with three times the mileage, several more years under the belt and god knows what in the way of modifications is going to be worth a good deal less money, particularly from a private seller.

And we all know exactly how much mods add to the value of a used car, usually nothing, occaisionally they've a negative impact. So in light of that, i'm going to market with the bargainers business ethic and offering 6k less than the asking prices.
    and how do you know waht its actually worth? My understanding is you dont hence this thread. But we are telling you that its impossible to tell unless you can see the car up close

"you know that the market value is around 5k less than the dealer price." where did you come up with this?

NO offense but i have sold my fair share of cars and get pissed off at people say offering 5k below my asking price. I hope you dont do that
    Last edited by Jingers; 26-09-06, 10:16 AM.

Comment

In all seriousness, if a dealer sells a stocker with marginally more kms, for less money AFTER adding their margin to the car AND giving a years rego, you know that the market value is around 5k less than the dealer price.
      dont mix up wholesale price and market value

Comment

Most cars in sydney auctions are open to the public.. just dealers know where to search for them...

They try to get their cars from reposession, stolen/recovered auctions which are open to the public anyways..

They also offer dead low prices for people at trade in time... which people take, meaning they are probabaly willing to sell it to low baller for probabaly the same price

just my 2 cents

A car is worth as much as someone is willing to pay..

I would seriously offer someone 5k less than the asking price if i know for sure that the seller is 5k over priced.

Some people advertise cars at ridiculous prices which never get sold.... An offer never hurts..
        Last edited by BlitZ; 26-09-06, 05:35 PM.

Project: Machine myself a heavy gear knob

Comment

I would seriously offer someone 5k less than the asking price if i know for sure that the seller is 5k over priced.
          very fair agreed, but do you have the expertise to value the car against all other cars on the market? and if you dont have this expertise then what makes you think the seller is 5k over priced?

Comment

Originally posted by Jingers View Post
            very fair agreed, but do you have the expertise to value the car against all other cars on the market? and if you dont have this expertise then what makes you think the seller is 5k over priced?
            like i said dude, dealers put markups on their cars to turn a profit on used vehicles. in light of that fact, when i see two cars for sale, of similar condition, age and mileage, and the dealer is asking for a particular ammount, i'll offer the private seller several thousand less. if they don't like it, they can just say no- or they can always try an auction or a trade-in and see what the dealers offer them there.

a seller can ask what they will, but in the end, they'll only get what the car is worth, which is unfortunately -for the sellers- dictated by and large, by the dealers, and what people are willing to pay.

I can understand current owners wanting to help maintain their vehicles' residual values, but there isn't any point in complaining about low ballers... You're just going to get offers based on what people think the cars are actually worth

Bear in mind, i started the thread because i found a dealer with an immaculate 2001 dc5r with 78k km on it going for $28k, full log book history etc. I wanted to know if it was worth that ammount, and it seems that this is the case. So i'll be taking a drive during the week to check it out

Comment

You said 29k in your original post so what is it?

28k or 29k?

Comment

like i said dude, dealers put markups on their cars to turn a profit on used vehicles. in light of that fact, when i see two cars for sale, of similar condition, age and mileage, and the dealer is asking for a particular ammount, i'll offer the private seller several thousand less. if they don't like it, they can just say no- or they can always try an auction or a trade-in and see what the dealers offer them there.

a seller can ask what they will, but in the end, they'll only get what the car is worth, which is unfortunately -for the sellers- dictated by and large, by the dealers, and what people are willing to pay.

I can understand current owners wanting to help maintain their vehicles' residual values, but there isn't any point in complaining about low ballers... You're just going to get offers based on what people think the cars are actually worth

Bear in mind, i started the thread because i found a dealer with an immaculate 2001 dc5r with 78k km on it going for $28k, full log book history etc. I wanted to know if it was worth that ammount, and it seems that this is the case. So i'll be taking a drive during the week to check it out
                nah dude, never was worried about retaining value on our cars. U will be surprised with the amount of people just trying their luck with offering a price they know is unreasonable. Good luck with ur car search anyways

Comment

First of all, in regards to the 28K DC5R with 78K, i think it's a pretty good bargain (especially from a dealer)

IMO, I think you know more on how much you can spend than how much the cars are actually worth. From what i understand from your replies, you reckon car owners will have to either give in to you or dealer's low ball price ...?? wtf??? And no, the market don't always work that way. For instead, a IPOD sells for $500 bucks and just because you or a few more reckons it's not worth the price.....do you think Apple will bring the price down?? No way, because it's popular and there's bound to be people that desire for one. Like what Jinger mentioned, Price Negotiating (around 2K mark) is fine, but giving or even offering low ass price is a insult to the owners that had spend countless hours taking care of their babies.
                  For all ralliart colt owners & lovers, i'm please to announce that the ralliart colt forum is finally online and working. Please come and support the site. http://www.rcolt.com

Comment

Originally posted by hebe View Post
                    You said 29k in your original post so what is it?

28k or 29k?
                    feeling a tad pedantic hey?
                    Advertised for $29,990, will let it go for $28,990

Comment

Originally posted by lovesil View Post
                      First of all, in regards to the 28K DC5R with 78K, i think it's a pretty good bargain (especially from a dealer)

IMO, I think you know more on how much you can spend than how much the cars are actually worth. From what i understand from your replies, you reckon car owners will have to either give in to you or dealer's low ball price ...?? wtf??? And no, the market don't always work that way. For instead, a IPOD sells for $500 bucks and just because you or a few more reckons it's not worth the price.....do you think Apple will bring the price down?? No way, because it's popular and there's bound to be people that desire for one. Like what Jinger mentioned, Price Negotiating (around 2K mark) is fine, but giving or even offering low ass price is a insult to the owners that had spend countless hours taking care of their babies.

Dude, are you fkn serious??
                      Negotiating by $2k is fine, and $5k isn't???
                      If you take an offer that is too low as an insult, don't try to sell stuff

As to all the other points- I've justified my point of view enough, if you don't follow... all power to you.

YADS

Comment

^seems like you already had a solution??then why ask for advice?

z10 says:
                        i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
                        z10 says:
                        mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                          dont mix up wholesale price and market value
                          Excellent point matt, you are right, these are two entirely different things.
                          | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

I hate the way many people try to buy things. I prefer to make ONE reasonable offer and one only. If the offer is substantially lower than the asking price there must be a reason to suggest why the offer was low, not just because I felt like it.

If it is not accepted then I walk. I leave the seller my details and if they are interested in my offer they can contact me back. If not, no problem.

People making stupid lowball offers are scum in my book. If your price is reasonable and you have someone lowball you, tell them to stop wasting your time and f**k off. (politely)
                            | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

as i do all the time

Comment

why would one set a price with a 6k negotiating margin? even with buying a brand new car from a dealer it's impossible to get a 6k discount from them even if you're the owners wife.

seller: yeah im selling the car for 30k
                                buyer: i'll give you 24k

scenario 1:
                                seller: yeah sure would you like fries with that?

scenario 2:
                                *somebody getta hurt real bad

z10 says:
                                i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
                                z10 says:
                                mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

Working...
                                X