The Official Photography Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FunkyR View Post
    Would the 24-105mm IS f/4 L be good enough for some fairly close up shots of people/kids/babies?
    The 450D and the 50D are 1.6x crop cameras, so they'll tack on a 1.6 magnification factor onto the lenses which they use. The closest a 24-105mm will shoot from is 38.4mm, which I don't think is wide (close) enough for everyday shooting.

Similarly to how we pick the cars we drive, its best to try out the camera + lens at a shop to get some kind of idea what suits your style.
    Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Yeah comparing the 450d and 50d (which is quite a bit different in price). I was saying that the 50d with video and digic 4 is good, I'm sure the to be released 500d will have both (seeing that the d90 has both).

Didnt realise there's no ext mic on the 50d.

Is there any difference in image quality of the 24-105mm and 70-200mm f4 L lenses you mentioned?
      Image quality would be the same - cept one will have the ability to take close shots - the other for longer range ones.

Both are top of the line L series lens with high quality glass used so both will produce excellent images. Afterall you get what you pay for!

Both have the same f/4 app and both have IS.
      If you require the zoom then go for the 70-200, but if you want abit more of an 'all purpose' lens which can take portraits but also have a decent amount of zoom go 24-105.

Would the 24-105mm IS f/4 L be good enough for some fairly close up shots of people/kids/babies?

close up shots of individuals yes. large groups might be a struggle in a tight space

Originally posted by mugsee View Post
      The 450D and the 50D are 1.6x crop cameras, so they'll tack on a 1.6 magnification factor onto the lenses which they use. The closest a 24-105mm will shoot from is 38.4mm, which I don't think is wide (close) enough for everyday shooting.

Similarly to how we pick the cars we drive, its best to try out the camera + lens at a shop to get some kind of idea what suits your style.
      this is true - however it depends on what you consider everyday shooting.
      i prefer shooting at a distance and zooming in abit - shooting at high aperture for portraits produce nice bokeh (background blur - used to emphasise subject)

if photographing cars etc better to shoot at distance so you dont see the reflection of yourself in the paint LOL

OP wasnt really interested in landscape and wide photography so probably wont want to go lower than 24-105mm

Comment

From my experience with this lens I think it is good enough... It's sharp enough but the only problem that I have with this lens is that when you are shooting in low lights...

To me personally it's a good lens to practice and also it is flexible enough in different situation (photography, landscape)

Although, give it a go yourself at your local camera shop and see what you think

Comment

An update,

I'm now deciding between 50d and 40d (I've excluded the 450d and d90).

Is it worth to pay the premium for the 50d? You mainly get get 5 more MP, nicer screen, higher iso, better weather sealing.

dpreview seems to think that there's not that much difference in picture quality (the most important thing) in the 50d over the 40d.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/page31.asp

I'm leaning towards the 40d and then upgrading the body in a about 2-3 years time ?60 or 70d.

Lens wise I'm probably getting: 24-105mm f4 L IS USM & 50mm f1.8 II

24-70mm f2.8 L USM would be great but it's a little too pricey.
          I've also been recommended 17-40mm F4 L USM - but that doesnt seem to have enough zoom and I dont think I want to buy 2 L series lenses atm (ie 24-105 and 17-40).
          Last edited by FunkyR; 22-11-08, 06:42 PM.
          Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #002

EVO IX FOR SALE:
          http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=6115

Comment

I usually upgrade every 2nd body that comes out, thus, had the 20d, skipped the 30d and got the 40d. However if i was coming in without a previous body I would get the newer model for the simple fact its the newer model. However, from reading that dpreview conclusion, the extra mp and higher ISO are infact not as good as the 40D. Also reduced dynamic range in shadow areas.
            Last edited by DC2R; 23-11-08, 12:44 AM.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by justinfox
            You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

FunkyR, not sure what is the premium over the 40D is, but I would get the 50D now that it's out. Diff story if it was still some mths away.

Aprt from the MP count and the questionable real terms improvement of weather sealing both features meant little for me, what is nice about the 50D is the faster digic cpu inside for faster response and much better buffer should you be clicking away continously for action shots esp in high jpg+raw mode, better menu interface, much higher res VGA screen, improved 2nd gen live view and HD video capture so effective a DV as well.

I have a 40D as my aps-c DSLR and may v contend with it, and the 20D and 10D before that which was great in their days. Since you havent purchased one yet you might as well opt for the 50D.

As for lens choices, makes the body selection look simple indeed...

24-70/2.8L's bokeh is hard to beat, that's something the huge amt of glass buys you. It's $$$, pain to carry and the zoom range is short. A fren lent his 24-105 to me for a day early this year, I liked its compactness but it wasnt as sharp as I would like.

17-40/4L punches well above its weight for a cheap L lens, sharper than its big brother 16-35/2.8L when the 17-40 came out( now replaced by the much improved mark II ) on many situations. It's the B16A of EF-L wide zoom lens.

If you can fork out a bit more, get the 50/1.4 even if only marginally faster and better bokeh cos it's much better built and still a fraction of the price of the 1.2L. Make sure you get the lenshood as well.
              Last edited by EG30; 23-11-08, 07:48 AM.
              Proudly no longer a member of any WA based Honda forums.

Comment

What does a lens hood do?

Mmmm have been thinking about the 24-70 - I might end up buying it sometime down the track so why not get it now? Then I think, that's alot of $$ for a lens, maybe I'll stick with the 24-105 which is probably going to blow me away anyway at my ability atm.

50d doesnt have HD vid - that's one of the reasons why I'm leaning towards 40d and then upgrade to 60 or 70d later on. 2 big reviews have said that in terms of picture quality, the 50d is only marginally better than the 40d and they said that unless u want the extra features, it's quite a premium over the 40d.

Decisions decisions.

EVO IX FOR SALE:

Comment

A lenshood minimise stray light out of the lens and also protects the lens when you bang the lens against things accidently.

Comment

I'm looking for a good basic book about DSLR photography. Any suggestions?

I've been recommended 'The Digital Photography Book' by Scott Kelby.

EVO IX FOR SALE:

Comment

yeah scott kelby's work always pretty good and worth a read

best of this type of book is Martin Evening's photoshop for digital photograhpers.

they are so $$$ to buy every single title of good photography books, and I now d/load what ppl upload to the net and you'll amazed that most titles you'll ever need are there.

Comment

Do you guys suggest I get a normal protective filter for my lenses or go for a UV filter?

EVO IX FOR SALE:

Comment

I'm looking for a good basic book about DSLR photography. Any suggestions?

I've been recommended 'The Digital Photography Book' by Scott Kelby.
                          i've got http://www.amazon.com/Photography-Co.../dp/184340270X

pretty good i think for a beginner
                          T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

Do you guys suggest I get a normal protective filter for my lenses or go for a UV filter?
                            Get a UV filter. I use hoya pro UV filters on all my L lenses.

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by justinfox
                            You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

what about a clear screen protector for the LCD screen (like on mobile phones/ipods etc)? worth it or waste of money?

EVO IX FOR SALE:

Comment

what about a clear screen protector for the LCD screen (like on mobile phones/ipods etc)? worth it or waste of money?
                                definitely worth it.
                                T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

Working...
                                X