Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by infotechplus View Post
    which most of us have already.
    a problem this concept faces is that to make a car race-ready (by adding the usual safety devices) you will also make it road-illegal.

so everyone will need a car trailer... and a place to store a trailer... and a tow vehicle...
    ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
      a problem this concept faces is that to make a car race-ready (by adding the usual safety devices) you will also make it road-illegal.

so everyone will need a car trailer... and a place to store a trailer... and a tow vehicle...
      Not only that Dave, the costing of everything involved, I can see it at minimal 15k-20k just to start up.

Comment

Originally posted by T-BaGGeR View Post
        Not only that Dave, the costing of everything involved, I can see it at minimal 15k-20k just to start up.
        one of the innovative sides to this venture is the way Peter seems to be trying to involve the parts suppliers...

i.e. cheap race seats, cheap harnesses, cheap roll-cages...

but to ensure this actually DOES reduce costs significantly (rather than just token 10% off RRP kinda things) - there needs to be a minimum groudswell of sufficent support... which won't come online until more details are available...

which is why it seems we are all being asked to be involved at this "day 1" stage and in trying to "thrash out" the details at the early planning stages & why the series is not slated to commence next year, but the year after...

keep the comments comming
        ... retired/

Comment

I've been thinking about participating myself.

The way I thought about is:
          - buy a ~$3K Civic in reasonable running condition
          - stripped out car with cage
          - coilovers and maybe brakes
          - wheels and semis
          - keep it road registered (drive to track and hope I don't get caught)

...really, the only thing I'd get in trouble with is the cage. I wouldn't use it as a daily, but that would save me trailering the car. It'd be a bitch in summer though.

You could get away with ~$10K. Not there to win, but to have fun! And you know what? It can be plenty of fun at the back end of the field.

Anyone remember the days of Michael Schumacher and Ferrari? I lost interest in watching because he dominated, and the stupid telecasters focused on him...he was so far in front! I wanted to see the battle going on at the back for positions 3 to 10!

I'm not concerned about winning. How big do you think the prize money is?

Comment

Hi guys,

Everything you've suggested is correct.

1. There is no such thing as a "cheap, entry level form of motorsport". Anyone who tells you there is is either kidding themselves or lacks an understanding of what is involved.

2. If you want to race it's better to race safely in a dedicated vehicle than to risk damage to your "pride & joy", not to mention all the hassles of explaining to your insurance company that your wife was hit by a truck in the shopping centre parking lot.

3. You will need a trailer and tow vehicle if you want to race. However, I did so for many years by borrowing a trailer or hiring one for the day/weekend for the very reason you suggest - no room to store it. I had a car with a towbar. Years later, I bought my own trailer (about $2K) and an old ute to do the towing.

4. Startup costs depend on your level of modification. I've suggested most people already have the basic mods - wheels, exhaust, intake, brakes, suspension. Chassis can be picked up cheap - unfinished project, a roller, or a salvaged shell. For example, straight EG shell with wheels, no engine or box $350 off eBay only a few months back. We'll be building this chassis into a typical VTEChallenge race car, using our knowledge, honda forums and our sponsors/affiliates for parts, and you'll be able to follow the build (and all associated costs) on our FB page/Forum. We want to show that it's possible for the average Hondaphile to go racing and not break the bank/alienate the missus.

5. Yes, there will be individuals/teams that can afford to build a "better" car, that have support from Tuners/Workshops. We see this as a good thing as it is showing the Honda brand and what can be done. Hondas are THE race car but you already know that.

Any more questions or comments, just ask. We look forward to your feedback

Regards,

Peter
            Last edited by infotechplus; 12-12-12, 05:15 AM.
            VTECHALLENGE FOR 2014
            https://www.facebook.com/VTEChallengeAustralia

Comment

Honda Challenge

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
              ... which is why it seems we are all being asked to be involved at this "day 1" stage and in trying to "thrash out" the details at the early planning stages & why the series is not slated to commence next year, but the year after...
              I couldn't have put it any better myself.

If we can show we have wide-ranging support, and I don't just mean one or two of the usual suspects, we can get "deals" from suppliers. Couple that (hopefully) with a tyre sponsor, a roll-cage supplier offering good discounts, and regularly keeping prospective competitors informed, and we have every reason to believe we can succeed.

We are asking people to comment. We want to be all-inclusive but at the end of the day, we know that no matter which way we jump, someone will be disappointed and feel left out. It's a shame but we hope to cater for as many as possible.

Everything that has transpired leads us to believe that we can make this happen. But we need everyone to get behind it, talk about it, tell your friends, post ideas, "Like" us on FaceBook, whatever. If you want to compete, we would love to have you; if you want to just watch, by all means.

Regards,

Peter
              VTECHALLENGE FOR 2014

Comment

Honda Challenge

Originally posted by Apu View Post
                ... buy a ~$3K Civic in reasonable running condition
                Too much. We bought an EG off eBay with wheels but no engine/box for $350. Straight chassis, all glass, doors etc.

..really, the only thing I'd get in trouble with is the cage.
                Talk to Adam at AGI-Precision about road-legal cages.

You could get away with ~$10K. Not there to win, but to have fun! And you know what? It can be plenty of fun at the back end of the field.
                We will build a car with the EG chassis. Follow it and see what can be done. Under $10K - absolutely.

How big do you think the prize money is?
                What is the cost of a handful of trophies? Seriously though, once you have "raced" you will understand the buzz that is generated. It has been known to turn perfectly sane people into jibbering fools (at least 5-10 minutes after a race anyway).

Peter
                VTECHALLENGE FOR 2014

Comment

Peter, do you think you can involve the costing like labour into your build? Maybe the hrs put into it? It might give prospective entries a better understanding of what is involved. say a lot of people involved on these forums love to get out on the track but when it comes to mechanical skill, they get there work done at a workshop due to lack of tools/space or knowledge. I can see labour being a big factor in the total cost of the build up if they can't DIY

Comment

Hi Peter,

Agree with you on the price of the car, but I was thinking still road registered and running, so guys like me can just strip the car and send it to the likes of AGI to get a cage fitted...and pretty much go racing!

Prize money precisely! Who cares? I just want to go out and have fun! At this level, it will never be enough to recoup any of our financial cost.

Bryan

Comment

Peter, do you think you can involve the costing like labour into your build? Maybe the hrs put into it? It might give prospective entries a better understanding of what is involved. say a lot of people involved on these forums love to get out on the track but when it comes to mechanical skill, they get there work done at a workshop due to lack of tools/space or knowledge. I can see labour being a big factor in the total cost of the build up if they can't DIY
                      Again, a good comment and one which is definitely important to consider.

I'm in IT but I've done TAFE courses in welding, spray painting and metal fabrication (short courses that don't cost too much, at night).

I've taught myself to spanner, tear down Hondas and put them back together - all in my backyard with basic tools (engine crane, engine stand, 4 jack stands and a SuperCheap Auto toolbox). I can weld, I can paint. Yes, I can build my own car.

It all takes time. Our build will show the costs, and the time spent in as much detail as is required. My enthusaism isn't enough I know that - we need to show what can be done IN THE REAL WORLD.

Stay tuned. In the New Year all will be revealed as we start from scratch.

The principles will apply to any Honda chassis but obviously if you want to race an EP3 or DC5R it's going to cost more than an ED6 or EG3. At the end of the day as APU said, it's all about fun. There will be no sheep stations as prizes in the VTEChallenge!

Regards,

Peter
                      Last edited by infotechplus; 12-12-12, 05:17 AM.
                      VTECHALLENGE FOR 2014

Comment

Just an idea Peter, if its possible to swap drivers during the season to cut down on costs. 2 drivers that alternate between races so in effect, the costings will be halved on building the car.

Comment

Honda Challenge

Just an idea Peter, if its possible to swap drivers during the season to cut down on costs. 2 drivers that alternate between races so in effect, the costings will be halved on building the car.
                          Good idea. I don't see why not as it is the car that is entered irrespective of driver. That is, someone could build and enter a car, and then get someone else in to drive it aka John Boston.

Peter
                          VTECHALLENGE FOR 2014

Comment

Also having a control of modifications would be an idea to keep things even. Eg - all cars to run 'x' springs at their chosen rate with 'x' shock absorbers.

Would help you get company's on board to
                            Street Circuit Lifestyle - Official distributor for PasswordJDM sales@streetcircuitlifestyle.com.au

teamGROUNDzero
                            http://www.teamgroundzero.org

Comment

any more progress on the rules/classes?

At the end of the day its all about having fun and being out there.
                              BYP Racing & Developments
                              Built. Tuned. Driven
                              Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Honda Challenge Regulations

Originally posted by fatboyz39 View Post
                                any more progress on the rules/classes?

At the end of the day its all about having fun and being out there.
                                Agreed.

We will be concentrating on the Regs over the weekend and hope to have a discussion document up by early next week. It will contain many ideas regarding the direction we want to take but be amenable to differing opinions. Like I said before, at the end of the day we will go with what we think best fits the current climate of opinion.

Regards,

Peter
                                VTECHALLENGE FOR 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X