No announcement yet.

rims for track work - DC5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm currently running 17x8 +30 w/ 235/45/17.

I take it that this will be your first time using semi's at a track? then your stock rims are more then enough if you slap semi's on them. I was using my stock dc5s rims with semi's for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by lowie View Post
      On this note, would anyone recommend a wheel spec besides those listed?

All i know is that its based on fitting a certain tyre size and 225 seems to be a general consensus. With a healthy sidewall.

don't think my 18x9.5+30s would be the best setup? without big power

Sorta thinking something like 17x9..not sure what offset tho
      A nice starting out setup if you are baller would be some 17x9 +35 RPF1s with a 245/40R17 Dunlop Z1 or Kumho KU36. Allows rotating of tyres, light weight, tyres are cheap and will last you a while. Fitment should be okay too .

If you have some stockies or something less mexican just run those though, it is a little foolish to buy track wheels and tyres for your first track day. You might not like it.

Comment

^Not to mention they look pretty damn good on dc5's. Light without being ball bustingly expensive.

For you Will. 17 x 9 +35. Pretty sure they're on 225/45

DC5S

Comment

I hope I won't be banned posting the link here

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=8386
          Honda Integra DC2R natural aspired K20A

2010 CAMS Supersprint (NSW) Type 3B champion |EC: 1:46.9280|WP: 1:07.694|Winton: 1:38.614

Comment

Originally posted by SpoonS View Post
            I'm currently running 17x8 +30 w/ 235/45/17.

I take it that this will be your first time using semi's at a track? then your stock rims are more then enough if you slap semi's on them. I was using my stock dc5s rims with semi's for a while.
            First time on the track in general

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
            A nice starting out setup if you are baller would be some 17x9 +35 RPF1s with a 245/40R17 Dunlop Z1 or Kumho KU36. Allows rotating of tyres, light weight, tyres are cheap and will last you a while. Fitment should be okay too .

If you have some stockies or something less mexican just run those though, it is a little foolish to buy track wheels and tyres for your first track day. You might not like it.
            That's true. The tread on my stockies are pretty much dead so to take those I'd probably want new tyres to actually have fun rather than going sideways more than forward.

If I got a set of 245/40R17 on the stock 17x7 would that setup be possible for a track day or two? Tyre seems awfully big for that size wheel. Because If i could do that, I would be able to run without the need for a new wheel for my first track day but I could keep the tyres for something like your recommendation of 17x9 RPF1s down the track.

Or would the tyre go through too many heatcycles to fit properly on the wider rim or something like that. Tyre sizes confuse me

I would just try to go with my grids (18x9.5+30 / 235/40R18) but I think they would just destroy themselves through scrubbing! not to mention the amount of wear that would be put onto my tyres I need for day-to-day communting

Originally posted by vuongster View Post
            ^Not to mention they look pretty damn good on dc5's. Light without being ball bustingly expensive.

For you Will. 17 x 9 +35. Pretty sure they're on 225/45
            Thanks Will
            Last edited by lowie; 24-06-10, 03:28 PM.

Comment

If I got a set of 245/40R17 on the stock 17x7 would that setup be possible for a track day or two? Tyre seems awfully big for that size wheel. Because If i could do that, I would be able to run without the need for a new wheel for my first track day but I could keep the tyres for something like your recommendation of 17x9 RPF1s down the track.

Or would the tyre go through too many heatcycles to fit properly on the wider rim or something like that. Tyre sizes confuse me
              245/40 is a bad choice for the stock 17x7s, it isn't manufacturer recommended for that narrow a wheel and will be difficult to mount. It will also probably not perform as well on track as a 215/45 would, because of the tyre flopping about on the rim and generally not being responsive. Wider is not always better despite what I generally say .

I guess the only advice I could give is to find something cheap second hand so that if you upgrade you won't be out of pocket the initial depreciation that wheels and tyres undergo. Alternatively it is unfortunate that you don't have some decent tyres on your stock wheels but replacing the tyres on them is probably your best bet, since 215/45R17 is among the cheapest and most common 17" tyre sizes, even an RE001 or T1R or something similar would be a good inexpensive choice for your first time and will wear well.

Comment

I would just try to go with my grids (18x9.5+30 / 235/40R18) but I think they would just destroy themselves through scrubbing! not to mention the amount of wear that would be put onto my tyres I need for day-to-day communting
                Track work was the reason why I only considered getting the rota grids for a millisecond as awesome as they look.

Comment

My advice is to just get some 215/45/17 semi's on the type s rims if you got them. Don't run staggered rims as you won't be able to rotate them, and thats $$$ wasted. So, like i said, use the stock rims, and the semi's will make the car feel completely different and give you a lot of feedback on your driving. And by the time you wear the semi's out, you'll know how to drive your car better, and know what you need to change.

Comment

some great advice right there from SpoonS
                    ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                      245/40 is a bad choice for the stock 17x7s, it isn't manufacturer recommended for that narrow a wheel and will be difficult to mount. It will also probably not perform as well on track as a 215/45 would, because of the tyre flopping about on the rim and generally not being responsive. Wider is not always better despite what I generally say .

I guess the only advice I could give is to find something cheap second hand so that if you upgrade you won't be out of pocket the initial depreciation that wheels and tyres undergo. Alternatively it is unfortunate that you don't have some decent tyres on your stock wheels but replacing the tyres on them is probably your best bet, since 215/45R17 is among the cheapest and most common 17" tyre sizes, even an RE001 or T1R or something similar would be a good inexpensive choice for your first time and will wear well.
                      Thanks for the confirmation, 245/40 is just silly on a 7" wide wheel just got a stupid thought in my head with the motivation to save money in the long run haha.

Originally posted by TeMp View Post
                      Track work was the reason why I only considered getting the rota grids for a millisecond as awesome as they look.
                      As in the setup wouldn't be a good choice for trackwork? cause I wholeheartedly agree hehe

Originally posted by SpoonS View Post
                      My advice is to just get some 215/45/17 semi's on the type s rims if you got them. Don't run staggered rims as you won't be able to rotate them, and thats $$$ wasted. So, like i said, use the stock rims, and the semi's will make the car feel completely different and give you a lot of feedback on your driving. And by the time you wear the semi's out, you'll know how to drive your car better, and know what you need to change.

Thanks mate. At this stage I'll focus on looking into a 215/45 for my stockies and take chargers/spoons advice. I guess it very much would be silly to fork out big bucks on new wheels until I get a bit more serious and change from a crappy driver on the track to hopefully a good one

Comment

Working...
                      X