No announcement yet.

First track day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

imo keep the number of hot laps down. i do a warm up lap then 2-3 hot laps then a cool down lap then i drive down the road from the track and air the brakes and engine before i park her at the track to wait for the next session.

Temperatures are my biggest concern since i dont have any temp guages or an oil cooler.

But you can still learn a lot and have lots of fun even if you keep the number of hot laps down. Make sure you cool her down properly afterwards to make sure you dont screw your brakes. (I emphasise this because mallala where i go is a big brake track)

I still get pretty anxious while being out there and think that controlling that is a big part of improving as a driver.

If you dont regularly heal n toe on the road then dont try it on the track. You will need to have it mastered before you try it on the track. You dont really want to over rev the engine downshifting too early etc etc..

Learn the right lines before you try to go too fast. your not born a great driver.. its learned. you should go to the track with that idea.

Comment

i'll be going to learn some defensive driving and advanced driving before i hit the track....at least i know wat i m doing. Cant wait to go....

I have the oil temp and water temp defi gauges on my car too....but no oil cooler.SAD>

Comment

i wonderi if Toyo R888's will be sticky enough to justify a baffled sump?

im going next Thursday!

Comment

Originally posted by Zilli View Post
          i wonderi if Toyo R888's will be sticky enough to justify a baffled sump?
          they are if you drive fast enough...
          ... retired/

Comment

BTW - my above comment is so off topic because most people (00dc2, freakygeek, air23box) have already covered most things i would say...

but - is it Wakefield or Eastern Creek or where?
            ... retired/

Comment

Cant wait to take my first front wheel drive car to the track.

It will be like learning to drive all over again!
              "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

http://thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com/

Comment

Its at Wakefield Dave.

Yeh i heel and toe on the street and have just gotten used to it, so once im on the track ill be doing it anyway.

Thanks for the advice guys

Comment

just remember to mod your oil pump when you do get an oil cooler in the future...
                  _______

:: Foot To The Metal :: Full On :: All of It Or None of It ::

Comment

Originally posted by Elwood View Post
                    Its at Wakefield Dave.
                    that is good, i get nervous about peeps heading to Eastern Creek for thier first time..
                    ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by G_Vtec View Post
                      just remember to mod your oil pump when you do get an oil cooler in the future...
                      can you elaborate on this a little please?

Comment

steve you will be fine. got 2 mates which drives close to stock DC2R except advan AD07. They have been achieving 1:14 everytime they go. the dc2r is great on track even stock!! you will do great, just remember to cool and chill after every few laps. i will see u then =)
                        '03 Integra DC5 Type R
                        Naturally Aspirated, K20A i-Vtec

Wakefield Park: 1:13.047 w/ street tyres
                        Eastern Creek Int'l Raceway: 1:57.969 w/ street tyres
                        Power: 155Kw with Mugen N1 ECU

Comment

Originally posted by 00dc2 View Post
                          can you elaborate on this a little please?
                          The oil pressure will drop by as much as 10psi if you install just an oil cooler on the dc2r or in fact, on any other cars. There is more room for oil to flow and pressure will naturally drop. You need to 'mod' the stock oil pump by preloading the springs with 2-3 spacers in order to maintain healthy pressure.

For a dc2r, i would recommend a 10 row oil cooler and anything bigger than that would be way overkill. Always remember that an oil cooler works both ways - It will cool down your oil when tracking as well as normal driving. It is bad for the latter because engine oil is usually at its optimal protection level when hot.

I have a 10-row oil cooler (no relocation kit), mugen sump and added 2 spacers to the oil pump. During a normal drive, my oil temp rarely exceed 90 degrees and pressure idles between 75psi to 85psi.

The grand of engine oil and type of oil filter used will play a part as well for the pressure.
                          _______

:: Foot To The Metal :: Full On :: All of It Or None of It ::

Comment

thanks.. i have heard about oil pressure drop off due to oil coolers and it messing with the vtec activation not to mention cooling.. but this is the first i have heard about adding spacers to the oil pump to increase the pressure.

interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                              BTW - my above comment is so off topic because most people (00dc2, freakygeek, air23box) have already covered most things i would say...

but - is it Wakefield or Eastern Creek or where?
                              Wakefield, next Thursday

Comment

^Nah im going on the 25th of april.

Originally posted by narada
                                25th April – Friday Wakefield Park ANZAC Day
                                circuit club!

Comment

Working...
                                X