Best bang for buck handling mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best bang for buck handling mods

Hey guys, I'm looking at improving my car on the handling department..
    What's some of the things I should look at upgrading first?
    S2000 TRACK/DAILY BUILD

Swaybars and a couple of braces really make a massive difference to turn in of the car and overall flex of the car.

Otherwise pads, rotors and braided brake lines are another good choice.
    Sleeping Performance & Mechanical Repairs: Balance, Feedback, Response

Ph: +61397947767
    Address: 6/253 Princes Hwy, Dandenong VIC 3175
    Email: josh@sleepingperformancemr.com.au
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/sleepingperformancemr

Comment

number 1 = tyres.
      number 2 = light weight wheels

neither is bang for buck (unless you are good at getting great deals)

bang for buck, yeah agree - brake pads then sensible rear sway bar.

plus a PROPER wheel alignment...
      ... retired/

Comment

Given your car is already well setup from factory (handling-wise), I'd say go with a good set of tyres. Its not a cheap route to take, but you'll definitely will see more reward over most other mods.

A set of good tyres will:

- Improve acceleration
        - Decrease braking distance
        - Improve corner handling and feel
        Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Originally posted by mugsee View Post
          Given your car is already well setup from factory (handling-wise), I'd say go with a good set of tyres. Its not a cheap route to take, but you'll definitely will see more reward over most other mods.

- Improve acceleration
          and tyres are just about the only handling mod that actually improves safety...
          ... retired/

Comment

- Improve acceleration
            Agree with this. It depends on your definition of bang for buck and handling, but if you consider bang for buck as maximum gain/cost ratio and handling as ultimate lateral grip then tyres are far and away the best investment. For the cost of a poor set of entry level coilovers you can have a noticeable gain in traction in all corner phases. Nothing else can claim that except perhaps massive weight reduction.

Once you have a decent set of tyres I'd look at a rear swaybar and following that a performance alignment with some camber bolts in the front (If you have a DC5 as your avatar suggests) will give good gains for money spent.

Comment

Would have to agree with the above comments as well, depends on how many bucks we're talking, you'll be surprised the difference a good set of tyres can make. The difference in general grip plus the extra steering feel on turn in can really change the way your car feels. But I'd also look at sway bars as well, I fitted the Eibachi front and rear kit to my dc5r and was really impressed with how much flatter the car sat through twisty corners
              02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Thicker rear sway bar, 4 point front strut, coils and good tyres will set you sweet bro
                Have a read of my build thread

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys! Really helpful so far!

- Improve acceleration
                  On the topic of tyres, I have been thinking of this but I'm not sure if its worth it to get a good set for my current oem jdm dc5r wheels.
                  The specs I believe are 17x7 +60 I think, what do you guys think of just getting better tyres for those instead of getting new wheels, I'm sure in the future I would have to upgrade..
                  I really want a good set of wheels to slap some good rubber on them..
                  S2000 TRACK/DAILY BUILD

Comment

Getting better tyres is still good. (i.e. if you only have money for wheels OR tyres, go tyres)

But also keep in mind you have JDM LCA's, hubs etc. so you'll have to factor in the extra offset when looking for rims.

Comment

Working...
                    X