Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L Plater on the track?

Hey guys,
    I'm currently 17, turning 18 in June and hopefully getting my dc5r in less then a month if all goes to plan,
    Just want to hit the track at this early stage of the year to get a feel for the track, so towards the end of the year I can start hitting the track more..
    Currently studying year 12 so will be a bit hard and just want one hit out to get experience.
    Was just wondering what/if there was any rules for L platers on the track, or if I'm even allowed?
    Thanks guys.
    S2000 TRACK/DAILY BUILD

If it's something like SA, you're going to need to apply for a CAMS license (Day license or yearly if you plan on attending more than 4 day sessions a year). In regards to racing with L's, I don't think it's allowed since you have speed limits and lots of regulations to follow. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.
    Lisa is a nut. She has a rubber butt. Everytime she turns around it goes putt putt.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

Wrong. You just need to be 16 (you'll need someone over 25 to sign the forms though). You'll also need a AASA licence which can be obtained on the day or a CAMS licence if you already have one.
      Like Cars For Hope | www.carsforhope.com.au | www.berty.com.au

Comment

L Plater on the track?

Originally posted by Berty View Post
        Wrong. You just need to be 16 (you'll need someone over 25 to sign the forms though). You'll also need a AASA licence which can be obtained on the day or a CAMS licence if you already have one.
        Correct
        Street Circuit Lifestyle - Official distributor for PasswordJDM sales@streetcircuitlifestyle.com.au

teamGROUNDzero
        http://www.teamgroundzero.org

Comment

a much better idea would be to get training:

http://www.driverdynamics.com/

http://www.johnbowedriving.com.au/de...melbourne.html
          ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by jdm.itr View Post
            Just want to hit the track at this early stage of the year to get a feel for the track, so towards the end of the year I can start hitting the track more..
            I believe I had a good understanding of a track just from a hand full of passenger sessions.
            You can also memorise the track layout and watch footage on youtube to get an understanding of the turns.

Although, none of that really compares to being in the driver seat, however I agree with others in that, it seems like you're throwing yourself into the deep end a bit.

I would personally feel uncomfortable having a Learner behind me on the track.
            Unless you've had previous track experience, such as Napo!

Thoughts Napo?

Comment

L Plater on the track?

Originally posted by butter View Post
              I believe I had a good understanding of a track just from a hand full of passenger sessions.
              You can also memorise the track layout and watch footage on youtube to get an understanding of the turns.

Although, none of that really compares to being in the driver seat, however I agree with others in that, it seems like you're throwing yourself into the deep end a bit.

I would personally feel uncomfortable having a Learner behind me on the track.
              Unless you've had previous track experience, such as Napo!

Thoughts Napo?
              Yeah I've been in an ep3 around Winton in December.
              But your right, I wouldn't want to get in anyone's way or be a hazard on the track, but I guess you gotta start somewhere you know.
              I've probably not had as much karting experience like napo, but have been a couple times and loved it!
              S2000 TRACK/DAILY BUILD

Comment

L Plater on the track?

Iv been tracking in vic since I was 14. I tracked my dc5 aged 17 at Winton and Phillip island. Just grab yourself a cams license so you can go to any track
                1995 Honda Civic EG (K20)
                1998 Nissan 180SX Type X (SR20)
                2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI (Emission Monster)

RHCP
                F1 Nut

Comment

L Plater on the track?

Originally posted by dnapol View Post
                  Iv been tracking in vic since I was 14. I tracked my dc5 aged 17 at Winton and Phillip island. Just grab yourself a cams license so you can go to any track
                  To extend on that, you will only gain experience by tracking so get your car ready and just give it a go. Go in a slow group at a Winton day and you should be on par to learning good luck!!

RHCP
                  F1 Nut

Comment

Just grab yourself a cams license so you can go to any track
                    pretty extreme advice - unless you know this guy? and you know he can already drive?

no offence to the OP - but unless you can drive properly already, you probably should not go on to a track where other people are driving as fast as they possibly can...

so - jdm.itr - have you learnt how to drive yet?
                    ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                      pretty extreme advice - unless you know this guy? and you know he can already drive?

no offence to the OP - but unless you can drive properly already, you probably should not go on to a track where other people are driving as fast as they possibly can...

so - jdm.itr - have you learnt how to drive yet?
                      If he couldn't drive or drive a manual he wouldn't even attempt a track. The advice was simply to help him know that you can't practice for track on the roads, you must just get out there and start off slow and work your way up.

RHCP
                      F1 Nut

Comment

If he couldn't drive or drive a manual he wouldn't even attempt a track. The advice was simply to help him know that you can't practice for track on the roads, you must just get out there and start off slow and work your way up.
                        What Tinker is getting at that is that there is a big difference between fast track driving and driving on the street, the learning curve is steep initially and it isn't always intuitive. So I think he's right to recommend driver training, or at the very least a day with instructors. People starting off on track without any guidance and continuing to make mistakes is how you end up with the fools that attend Tampered Motorsport days.

Napo were you alone in the car for all your initial track adventures?

Comment

L Plater on the track?

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                          What Tinker is getting at that is that there is a big difference between fast track driving and driving on the street, the learning curve is steep initially and it isn't always intuitive. So I think he's right to recommend driver training, or at the very least a day with instructors. People starting off on track without any guidance and continuing to make mistakes is how you end up with the fools that attend Tampered Motorsport days.

Agree with your points. No I wasn't alone, I had an instructor with me for the first few times at Phillip island. He wouldn't be alone at a trackday though, there's always some of us there or that are willing to come up to help and support the progression to track

RHCP
                          F1 Nut

Comment

L Plater on the track?

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post

I see what your saying, I would never even attempt to hit the track if I wasn't confident enough, as I said, I wouldn't want to be a hazard to anyone.
                            As a reply to tinker, I turn 18 in June, so between now and then I don't think my driving would change that much without experience.
                            If I didn't know how to drive I wouldn't even be on this forum, haha..
                            S2000 TRACK/DAILY BUILD

Comment

Originally posted by jdm.itr View Post
                              If I didn't know how to drive I wouldn't even be on this forum, haha..
                              i have seen a lot of people come and go on this forum, and no - not all of them could actually drive very well...

at least you seem confident - that is an important part of being on a race track; being confident to make a split second decision at exactly the right moment...
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X