Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whining noise - DC2r

Hey all,

ive recently begun to notice a whining sound on light throttle applications and ding over run. Particularly at high speeds.

The car seems to lurch a little more then getting on and off the throttle... Kinda sounds like a straight cut gearbox would....

anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

check gearbox oil level/quality...
    ... retired/

Comment

gearbox oil recently changed

how do i check the level?

Comment

here:

Attached Files
        ... retired/

Comment

on level gound - jack up, remove wheel and remove 17mm bolt...

re-lower car to normal level height and check oil level.

can also be due to wrong grade transmission fluid...

but might NOT be gearbox at all... need more descriptions of the sounds...
          ... retired/

Comment

well....you know how a race car with a straight cut gearbox has a whine when slowing down, or speeding up?

on very light throttle applications, whens speeding up or overrun, im getting that feint whining noise. Not anywhere near as loud as a straight cut, but fient and wasnt there before

Comment

hmmmm, sounds exactly like it sounded when i drove from asquith to hornsby without any gearbox oil in!

(my sound got louder quite rapidly though!)
              ... retired/

Comment

hmmm...mine didnt get any louder mate....

i was at wakefield yesterday,do you think just the hard driving all day was a factor?

Comment

Does it only happen when in gear?
                  j0nbubz: RG's awp is LOL
                  Chi: ...word of advice on who plays against rG
                  faijai: rg + awp = gg
                  hebe: Hahaha rG is just L337 bro!
                  rG`: Touchpad FTW!

Comment

good question,

but doesnt the gearbox keep spinning, even if you are in neutral?
                    ... retired/

Comment

no i dont think it happens when in nuetral

i just went for a drive and the noise isnt very evident, mind you i wasnt at highway speeds.

do u think the gb oil might have just been really hot after the day and then the highway drive home?

Comment

Did you check the oil level?? if if ok, then...... you may have to drain the oil to see anything in oil like metal particles , or could be the bearing are gone? is it OEM gear oil?

Comment

wild danisstupiddontlistentome guess, could it be the wheel bearing?

Comment

^ If it's the wheel bearing the noise should increase with load, and become louder/faster with speed.

eg. If you're on the highway and veer left and the noise increases it could be your driver's side wheel bearing.

Difficult to diagnose on the information given, but it could be as simple as:

1. loose lug nuts / belts?
                            2. debris between your brake pads / rotors / tyres?
                            3. gearbox oil overheating?

I would suggest you stick the car on some jack stands and have a poke around
                            j0nbubz: RG's awp is LOL
                            Chi: ...word of advice on who plays against rG
                            faijai: rg + awp = gg
                            hebe: Hahaha rG is just L337 bro!
                            rG`: Touchpad FTW!

Comment

thanks for all the suggestions boys

i didnt check the oil because i couldnt recreate the sound. on the track i did grind 2 times and they were ugly grinds so i think i change of the oil would be worthwile anyway. Is there a DIY on this anywhere?

iv had a busted wheel bearing on my previous car and that sound is a LOT harsher... this was extremely feint. Along with the extra lash in the driveline which i presume is engine mounts, there was whining, very feint, and only on the smallest of throttle applications.

im not sure what oil was used.My mechanic changed the gb oil when the clutch was changed a month ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X