Troubles with HID in aftermarket projectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troubles with HID in aftermarket projectors

Hi guys, I recently purchased aftermarket projectors for my 06 Type S as well as a H1 HID kit. After installing everything, something seems to be quite wrong.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see from the pictures, the light output seems to be all over the place. When up close to a wall, it just looks weird and from a distance you can see that the light doesn't evenly illuminate the ground. You might not be able to fully see from the pictures, but the output is pretty weak (even worse than normal halogens) and there are hotspots and darkspots here and there.

Also, from the cut-off you can tell it's LHD ... I only found this out this morning when upon enquiry, the seller told me that they were LHD ... I just wrongly assumed that being an aus buyer buying from an aus seller would get me RHD headlights. Not sure what I can do about this; it's already mounted and installed so I don't think I can get a refund ... but one problem at at time, lol.

So, does anyone have any experience or idea with my current situation here? I'm thinking of just putting halogens back in for the time-being, but it would be good to somehow fix my problems with the HIDs.

maybe cheap projectors thats causing the hotspots and scattered light. Highly recommend that you change or refund it cos your gonna be blinding oncoming traffic. You may want to check whether ur HID bulb itself is installed correctly , some people installed it upside down lol

Comment

which ebay seller is this? i was looking at getting projectors from an oz seller as well (mars performance?)

best option is to retrofit projectors.
      Prash Imaging (Facebook) - Please like!
      Flickr
      my car blog - Have a read
      my 2nd car blog - Have a read too

Comment

Rip it all out and get JDM HIDs. That's pretty much the only way to guarantee a reasonable quality HID setup on the DC5. Even the standard reflector can sometimes be better than cheap aftermarket projectors.

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

Originally posted by BlkR View Post
          maybe cheap projectors thats causing the hotspots and scattered light. Highly recommend that you change or refund it cos your gonna be blinding oncoming traffic. You may want to check whether ur HID bulb itself is installed correctly , some people installed it upside down lol
          Yeah, I have it so that that rod running parallel with the bulb is facing the ground. Unfortunately, LHD is the only option for projectors for the Type S ... so can't really get a change. I'll have to see what I can do about a refund if I can't do anything about the LHD thing.

Originally posted by crashprash View Post
          which ebay seller is this? i was looking at getting projectors from an oz seller as well (mars performance?)

best option is to retrofit projectors.
          Yeah, mars performance. I'm leaning towards just using halogens and trying to aim down the headlights to see if it helps with the LHD issue.

Originally posted by m0nty View Post
          Rip it all out and get JDM HIDs. That's pretty much the only way to guarantee a reasonable quality HID setup on the DC5. Even the standard reflector can sometimes be better than cheap aftermarket projectors.
          Sorry, what exactly do you mean by JDM HIDs?

Comment

+1 - wouldnt even bother with a aftermarket projector unless its OEM. unless u wanna spend the time / patience for a full on retro fit.

I personally would just put HID ito ur stock lights and adjsut the light DOWN!

Comment

Originally posted by ggwpty View Post
              Sorry, what exactly do you mean by JDM HIDs?
              In the Japanese market HID reflector lights were an OEM option and they can be had relatively cheaply second hand. I believe they were even beam height adjustable on the facelift models. They are still a reflector style headlight but the light output is much superior to cheap projectors and stock reflectors with HID kits in them.

Refer THIS post.

Comment

Yes, exactly what Charger and Monty have said. If it was LHD, I have to ask. What were you thinking?! You do realise that having LHD headlight design is extremely unsafe for both the oncoming traffic and your own vision in dark situations.
                sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

After fiddling around today, I found that when I pulled the HID bulb back out of the housing a little bit that the light output would suddenly become normal and there was distinct cut off. It also seems that H7 bulbs fit in the housing and using them results in proper light output and a proper cut-off. But since it's LHD, it's still no good, so I've taken the HIDs out in the mean-time, put in the halogens and will avoid driving at night for the time-being (still got my old civic at my disposal).

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                  In the Japanese market HID reflector lights were an OEM option and they can be had relatively cheaply second hand. I believe they were even beam height adjustable on the facelift models. They are still a reflector style headlight but the light output is much superior to cheap projectors and stock reflectors with HID kits in them.

Refer THIS post.
                  Originally posted by Didz View Post
                  Yes, exactly what Charger and Monty have said. If it was LHD, I have to ask. What were you thinking?! You do realise that having LHD headlight design is extremely unsafe for both the oncoming traffic and your own vision in dark situations.
                  I didn't buy them knowing they were LHD. I just wrongly assumed that I was going to receive RHD ones, given that I'm an Australian buyer buying from an Australian seller.

Those JDM HID reflectors look promising ... Didz, could I ask if you know whether they would fit an 06 Type S, or if the Type S sold in Japan came with an OEM option of HIDs?

Comment

The JDM Type R had them as an option, both pre and post facelift. They'll fit your car just fine. You may need to make a custom harness to suit AUDM plugs but that's no biggie.

Comment

they are terrible. i'd ask for my money back. you should not have hot spots like that and the illumination is worse than halogens.

quality problems aside, the fact they are for LHD is more than enough if he asks for a reason.
                      00-0138 ITR

Comment

The JDM Type R had them as an option, both pre and post facelift. They'll fit your car just fine. You may need to make a custom harness to suit AUDM plugs but that's no biggie.
                        Yep, exactly. Just make sure you buy the ones which are for the 05-07 facelift model and you will be fine.
                        sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

Righteo. I'm tossing up between getting a retrofit and those JDM headlights. Going to get the aftermarket projectors refunded. Seller said he'll only refund 80% of the price though.

Thanks guys for your help, much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by ggwpty View Post
                            Righteo. I'm tossing up between getting a retrofit and those JDM headlights. Going to get the aftermarket projectors refunded. Seller said he'll only refund 80% of the price though.

Thanks guys for your help, much appreciated
                            That is a pretty good result all things considered, glad we could help out. I vote for JDM HIDs for the OEM look .

Comment

contact retrosolutions, clubrsx swear by it and i have a set of those on mine, bright as and smooth cutoff as you can get for projectors

Comment

Working...
                              X