Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Shifter and Springs

hey all

Im thinking about getting a Short Shifter kit for the DC2-R and was wondering what brands you guys have or recomend. i have heard that some short shifter ktis can ruin gearbox life so i want to steer away from them if this is true.

Im also looking to get springs, doesn't need to lower the car but just keen for slightly stiffer around corners but i dont want it to be too bumpy as sydney roads are pretty s#it....or should i get front and rear sway bars.....any suggestions.

thanks, Harry
    Last edited by AKS200; 07-11-06, 10:17 AM.

You want stiffer springs but not too bumpy? haha..

How old are your dampers? How many km's are on the car? If you still have stock springs you should probably look to replacing dampers first rather than springs... The stock springs in a DC2R are almost the perfect compromise of "streetability" and handling. Especially if you're not concerned with lowering the car.
    | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

"You want stiffer springs but not too bumpy? haha.."

lol...i understand how it contradicts itself but i dont want a bumpy ride.

the car has done 135k but the dampers and springs have done roughly in the 30's...they were changed by the previuos owner(thanks Colin).

Comment

What dampers and springs are in the car? Stock, but new ones?
        | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

I used a dc sports short shifter. As far as short shifters go it fulfilled its purpose. I can't comment on any others as that's the only one I've ever used.

As others have pointed out, stiffer springs means a bumpier ride. That said, I found kg/mm to be a good compromise and many other members will recommend spoon.
          "No Matter that you have a PhD and have read all of Henry James twice. If you still persist in writing, "Good food at it's best", you deserve to be struck by lightning, hacked up on the spot and buried in an unmarked grave" (Truss, 2003, p.44).

Comment

sorry, the suspension is all stock...

Comment

eBay $35 short shifter here!

it is verrrry short though, but my gearbox looks fine?

maybe user error contributes to ruined gearboxes more than the type of shifter? i dunno???
              ... retired/

Comment

Cam - doesnt bumpyness come from mismatched damper to spring?

i have very stiff springs on my car, but dont consider it 'bumpy'? it is harsh, but not bumpy...

so subjective here! need to be aware that people opinions will be quite different!
                ... retired/

Comment

bumpy is subjective.

i think waht aks200 is refering to as bumpy is rather maybe the rebound qualities? ie shocks react to rebound quickly and some others you see them hit one bump and wobble for the rest of 50 meters.

Maybe thats what his refering to?

Comment

i dont see the need for a short shifter in the dc2r as the throw is very direct and short anyway, so no advice there..
                    in terms of suspension: stock is best. i had spoon prog.rate springs which lowered the height ~20-25mm, firmed up the car with even less body roll and sharper response and turn in. but then i got coilovers.
                    have a long hard think about what you want from your car before playing with the suspension. honestly the stock suspension is a VERY good compromise for great handling and reasonable comfort. its quite easy to make it worse!
                    "What's the point of racing a car that doesn't look cool?" - Nakai-san, RWB

Comment

kg/mm dr21 i think the model number is...definitely recommend those...

In terms of short shifters, just get a small ball knob...it'll feel like you have a short shifter

Comment

countersunk is the official term if you were interested

Comment

i think i will leave the stock suspension as it is and get front and rear sway bars...any suggestions there?

BTW: Jingers, you were correct about the type of ride i was seeking.

Harry

Comment

Talking about short shifters do they make big difference on DC2Rs, I use to have it in my civic (fully adjustable one), was very good and made big difference compared to stock shifter but R has very close and direct shifter in stock form so yeah, is there need and does it make difference?

Comment

your car already has optimum sway bars... 24mm front and 23mm rear...

i say upgrade to quality coil-overs (Cusco or Tein) as it is the cheapest in the long run...
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X