DC5R Starter motor replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5R Starter motor replacement.

So, my starter motor is making that Grinding noise on cold start like we all hate. My solution is to get a replacement.

BRAND NEW from local honda dealer, just over $1500

Completely newly rebuilt from OEMACURAparts.COM = $191 USD

My question is, the starter used for RSX-type S should be the same as our ones right? as its all in the same family.

I know for a fact BASE model is different but im only SEMI sure that TYPE R and TYPE S is same.

Hope someone else with better knowledge can shed some light on this issue.
    Last edited by jj17; 29-06-10, 07:26 PM.
    bansai! Ling Longs

1500 for a starter motor :O

I need a new one soon.

Comment

why not get ur current one rebuilt? my mrs got hers done (97 prelude) $140

Comment

Was talking to the guys at TODA about this the other day...yes it is 1500ish from Honda which is a absolute rip like any other parts they have.

Pretty sure theres a locally made one for our cars at ~$300ish, forgot the brand name but..

Comment

i thought the cause of the problem was a solenoid sticking or something causeing the grind in the starter motor. there was a thread on crsx showing a pull down and repair/replace of the problem parts, i'll see if i can find it
          try reading this

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...start+grinding
          Last edited by gunpoons; 29-06-10, 05:05 PM.
          02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

No.. wrong ^^

Okay... ive had this fucking problem on my car for 12 months exactly... i RESERCHED everything bloody detail about this....

Your flywheel connects to your starter motor (Ring gearing) Right??? when you crank the car, the 2 gears go in opposite directions to make the 2 clogs turn... issue is this... some of the teeth on the starter motor have been worn out... hence why you get that CRUNCH noise which basically sounds like your killing your car this is my dilemma... i can get mine rebuilt... or i can wait for mine to die in the next 2 years and it'll be replaced under warranty but i don't wanna modify my car to much (aftermarket warranty) as they may try void me the pricks...

Basiclly this boys/gents.. get onto the problem before it fucks your flywheel up aswell and your problem gets even more $$$$$$

-----------

I THINK the RSX Type S starter motor is the same for our Type R
            Chuck them a email and ask???

Also BTW.. oemacura.com doesn't work anymore SIGH

Comment

maybe because its oemacuraparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by l__i__l View Post
                maybe because its oemacuraparts.com/
                oooo thank u

Comment

Originally posted by MYDC5R View Post
                  No.. wrong ^^

Okay... ive had this fucking problem on my car for 12 months exactly... i RESERCHED everything bloody detail about this....

Your flywheel connects to your starter motor (Ring gearing) Right??? when you crank the car, the 2 gears go in opposite directions to make the 2 clogs turn... issue is this... some of the teeth on the starter motor have been worn out... hence why you get that CRUNCH noise which basically sounds like your killing your car this is my dilemma... i can get mine rebuilt... or i can wait for mine to die in the next 2 years and it'll be replaced under warranty but i don't wanna modify my car to much (aftermarket warranty) as they may try void me the pricks...

Basiclly this boys/gents.. get onto the problem before it fucks your flywheel up aswell and your problem gets even more $$$$$$

-----------

I THINK the RSX Type S starter motor is the same for our Type R
                  Chuck them a email and ask???

Also BTW.. oemacura.com doesn't work anymore SIGH
                  ok ok, same problem i don't know, i've had this problem for 4 years, but it only happens when the weather is real cold and the car has sat still for at least overnight, so not very often, and hardly at all now i live in a warmer part of town, i had my starter motor checked by honda dealer and they said it was ok
                  if its worn teeth in the starter motor then why does it only happen when its real cold? shouldn't it happen all the time?
                  i'm not doubting your problem or expailation, i'm just a little confused
                  02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

I have had two starters to repair in at work but noting in parts and most suppliers had not yet seen one. These starter are very different to older mistuba starters and hard to get after market in aus. i did find a replacement for k20 auto but 2 weeks ago was looking for one in auto but nothing in the country and no plans for any more. Rsx manual starter should be sweet.

Comment

nice discussion guys, and yes 1500 brand new from honda is totally rip.

Rebuilding is an option but for a similar cost i dont see why not just purchase a new one as all rebuilding might not turn out as good as its spose to. (had past experience on other parts)

@lowie: that sounds about decent, if you could find out whats it call and whether it would be just as good of a quality as the oem one then that would be awesome.

@wpg81: thanks for the PM, ill look forward to it

EDIT: and yes sorry i typed the website wrong, i corrected it =/
                      bansai! Ling Longs

Comment

I think my car is making the same sound.....only on first morning starts too?
                        It's hard to take it to Honda/Mechanic to see what it could really be when when it only happens once a day..........

Comment

yes it only happens on cold start, esp now that its winter, its grinding every morning. My car has reached the 135k kms mark and yea.. parts are getting old here and there.

My main concern is the damage to the flywheel its causing as MYDC5R has mentioned which is pushing me to replace it asap.
                          And it hell does sound painful every morning i start the car =[ i get a heartache to see my baby suffer like that.
                          bansai! Ling Longs

Comment

Did Someone Say Group Buy...........

Comment

http://oemacuraparts.com/partlocator...layCatalogid=0

U$190.89 just for soleniod......rite? not a re-build?

Comment

Working...
                              X