Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some suggestions re: ticking Engine noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SO loud those tappets or is it?

I doubt its valve clearence's. Maybe LMA. Do a compression check to see if you havnt bent any valves.

That noise doesnt sound healthy at all.

Dizzy bearing ok?
    BYP Racing & Developments
    Built. Tuned. Driven
    Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Bought a 45 degree feeler gauge and will take rocker cover off tonight.. Will include photos for future reference if I see the problem.. Mechanic thinks sounds like valve has dropped or lack of oil pressure.. So will check for broken springs, bent valves etc.. Will put torch down spark plug hole see anything there..

Question : do we replace our timing belts because they stretch or because they may break altogether ?? Timing belt is overdue also...

Comment

Did you have a misshift? Be honest.
        Built. Tuned. Driven

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyz39 View Post
          SO loud those tappets or is it?
          my tappets sounded like that once, after the 10mm nut came loosened right off one rocker arm...

found it on the magnetic sump plug thank goodness!
          ... retired/

Comment

Thankgod for magnetic plugs hehe...

If it sounds like that wouldnt it be running like shit?
            Built. Tuned. Driven

Comment

if the valve is still opening and closing, it should still run...

but it might not be the valves!
              ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by ewendc2r View Post
                Ok .. Will begin doing the valves tonight.
                Defintly confirm it's not the valve clearences before jumping to conclusions

(Long shot but) If it's a LMA, you'll have to take the cams out to check...
                So if you get to the point of stripping the thing down, be sure to check these before you go too far.
                TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
                TODA Racing - TODA Power - FIGHTEX
                Official Australian Distributors
                Engine Building / Dyno tuning / Licenced Mechanical Workshop

Email: toda@todaracing.com.au

M-Factory - HALTECH - Hondata - EXEDY - WORK - Supertech - Crower

Comment

Ok -- Took the rocker cover off. Checked its getting oil, started her up and oil squirted so all goods ..

All nuts are tight, need a different feeler gauge (finer type). Definitely need adjustment, could fit .015 under the exhaust on cylinder 1 and that was the only one I really checked... Needs to be .006 yeah?

So will complete tomorrow night.

Also did copmression test

207/205/195/210
                  (4---1)

She is using a bit of oil anyway and its due for a change -- what oil would you recomend? 120,000kms on it.

Fatboyz39 No misshifts (honest) just some high rpm engine braking (down shifting onto limiter) which isn't obivously much good for the engine lol... I'm hoping it ends up being something i can fix relatively easily with change of bearings or valves etc.. I secretly want to rebuild anyhow so .. lol .. Just bad timing $$ wise.

Comment

oh and i dont do the shifting onto limiter thing anymore -- not necessary obviously and just extra wear and tear.

Even if its shit itself -- its been a tough engine for what it has provided me lol ... Now how bigger capacity can a B Series go? lol ... 2.2L?

Comment

No misshifts (honest) just some high rpm engine braking (down shifting onto limiter) which isn't obivously much good for the engine lol...
                      Um... You know the rev limiter doesn't stop the engine over reving on a down shift....
                      TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
                      TODA Racing - TODA Power - FIGHTEX
                      Official Australian Distributors
                      Engine Building / Dyno tuning / Licenced Mechanical Workshop

Email: toda@todaracing.com.au

M-Factory - HALTECH - Hondata - EXEDY - WORK - Supertech - Crower

Comment

Fatboyz39 No misshifts (honest) just some high rpm engine braking (down shifting onto limiter) which isn't obivously much good for the engine lol...
                        | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Originally posted by TODA AU View Post
                          Um... You know the rev limiter doesn't stop the engine over reving on a down shift....
                          True.
                          Built. Tuned. Driven

Comment

Definitely need adjustment, could fit .015 under the exhaust on cylinder 1 and that was the only one I really checked... Needs to be .006 yeah?
                            i think it is all in the service manual on page 6-43
                            ... retired/

Comment

Yep -- When I say shifting onto the limiter, I mean if the limiter was set at 8800rpm, needle wouldn't see over 9100rpm (which is more like 9000rpm engine speed anyhow according to ecu logging).. But as I said I don't do that anymore and last time it went above 9000rpm would be --- 20,000kms ago? (Had limiter set to 9100rpm).

I absolutely realise the rev limiter doesnt restrict RPM's in a physical sense from over-revving... But haven't done a 3 into 2 (instead of 4) for example....

Anyhow -- Will have more to update later tonight.

Comment

Why would you want to turn up the rev limiter? Still stock valve springs?
                                Built. Tuned. Driven

Comment

Working...
                                X