Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some suggestions re: ticking Engine noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some suggestions re: ticking Engine noise?

VIDEO -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4cVq_k32Eo

Ok so i used to occasionally get this tapping noise at all rpms (couldnt hear above vtec due to noise of exhaust/intake) but definitely below and at least up to vtec... It is a singly tick tick tick tick noise and sounds like a tappet type noise... Sometimes if i just gassed it the noise would disappear. Well, now its here for good..

Now -- I originally thought LMA but some other causes I've heard of are:

Scored Cylinder Wall / Low Oil (Possible, has happened once or twice and she is drinking a bit of oil at the moment kinda unexplainably).

Timing Belt Tensioner? Not sure how ...

LMA's - Obvious but never heard one so cant compare.

Bottom end knock (sounds like its coming from the head though)..

------------

The engine DID run QUITE low on oil once but was fine afterwards and when the light came on I stopped driving and topped up the oil.. The noise started after a high rpm (say, 9000rpm) second into third shift and hasn't gone away since.. Power seems to be ok, fuel economy is ok ... Just getting this bloody horrible noise!

Hoping its something easy to fix -- I can't rebuild at the moment, just did the bloody gearbox!

Everyone kinda think just check all the obvious things (any i havent listed id be happy to check, let me know) and if a bottom end issue or scored cylinder wall then drive it till she drives no more?

Thanks guys ... I lover her, but she costs so much damn money.

Oh and its done about 115,000kms ... And I'm about to change the timing belt.. Valve lash hasnt been adjusted in 30,000kms or so..
    Last edited by ewendc2r; 21-06-10, 10:33 AM. Reason: Added Video Link

infamous b series injector ticking?

Comment

thats another one I missed -- Its quite a loud ticking noise... Almost like when a diesel starts up.. ??

Can't understand why an injector makes such a loud noise though?

thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by ewendc2r View Post
        Valve lash hasnt been adjusted in 30,000kms or so..
        how often does Honda recommend checking valve clearance?
        ... retired/

Comment

Can't remember I thought it was like every 10,000kms ??? In fact, I was told that every time you go over 6000rpm, you should be re-setting the lash... Bit unrealistic...

OK -- Will get the valve lash adjusted this weekend (or I will do it anyhow)... See how it goes.. Does that mean you think its the valve clearance TB?

Comment

impossible to tell without hearing it, but if over 30k km since last adjustment, i'd look into that first.

but engines are about process of elimination,

eliminate the most obvious thing first... (which is why you were writing the list of 'thing' to look at)

next is LMA's, then engine lubrication health...
            ... retired/

Comment

Question is -- Why would I get a ticking sound from a scored cylinder wall?? (Some people have said this is the cause, after running dry on perhaps oil starvation on the track -- i've since bought a baffled sump and the red/orange light of death didn't come on .. will let you know

Comment

Video:

I disconnected each injector and noise remained .. so not that. Sound seems to be coming from the left side of engine more than right. Doesnt seem to be coming from bottom end...

Sounds like its the LMA's

Bugger havintg trouble uploading vid... trying again soon.

Comment

Video uploaded (First Post)

Comment

Video uploaded (First Post)
                    wow!

you adjusted the valve clearances and it is STILL making the noise?

did you check all the LMA's when you set the valve clearances too?
                    ... retired/

Comment

If the valve clearences are spot on... Measured between the top of the valve & the rocker arm...
                      I doubt it's a Lost motion assembly... I guess it's possible, but super rare failure.

So... Hate to say it, but it sounds like #4 piston touching the head as the ticking seems to be at engine speed rather than 1/2 engine speed.
                      Unfortunatly this is also possible if you ran it super low on oil as the # 4 B/E is farthest from the oil pump & will produce the sound from the left.
                      If I'm right, the bearing is likley damaged but not yet spun.
                      TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
                      TODA Racing - TODA Power - FIGHTEX
                      Official Australian Distributors
                      Engine Building / Dyno tuning / Licenced Mechanical Workshop

Email: toda@todaracing.com.au

M-Factory - HALTECH - Hondata - EXEDY - WORK - Supertech - Crower

Comment

no no no TB -- haven't adjusted anything yet. Just started it to record the sound it was making. Haven't had time to adjust anything yet !!

Adrian -- Hmm, buuugggeerr. Can i replace bearings by removing sump and end caps or too hard?

How would the piston be hitting the head / valve if the rod hasn't broken etc?

Comment

Ok .. Will begin doing the valves tonight.

Comment

no no no TB -- haven't adjusted anything yet. Just started it to record the sound it was making. Haven't had time to adjust anything yet !!
                            OK,

well - it is rather loud!

but i can confirm that this noise can certainly be due to mal-adjusted tappets, (especially if the adjuster nut falls off and clearance is 2mm+)

the piston *could* be hitting a valve if the valve is stuck open too... but it should have broken off by now...

my suggestion is not drive until you confirm the source of the noise.
                            ... retired/

Comment

Yep car is off the road -- Thanks guys will keep posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X