DC2R whistling noise - sounds like turbo but isnt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC2R whistling noise - sounds like turbo but isnt

So as some of you may know, recently purchase a dc2r. I drove it back to Melbourne from interstate. On the drive, there was a pronounced whistle coming from the motor at a certain point with acceleration. In fact if i accelerated at the the same rate it would whistle continuously. Then as i went past or below that point in acceleration, it would dissipate and eventually disappear altogether.

So took it for a major service a few days ago. Mechanic isolated it a leak in the pod filter. So we got rid of it, and installed a stock air intake with new oem filter. Now the noise is almost gone, but theres just an ever so slight whistle like before. It sounds like its coming from behind the engine, near the accelerator cable. But its just too hard to be sure. Its hard to hear with the bonnet popped. Its more pronounced when I drive. All the hoses are tight. The intake is fine. Its so irritating.

My mechanic is saying that he can't hear it but thats crap. I definitely can. I think he just doesn't know how to fix it.

Any ideas? Any one can help?
    Last edited by thegame888; 25-12-09, 11:14 AM.

Exhaust leak? Either that, you're hearing things or it's normal induction noise you're just not used to.

Comment

I reckon it's still the airbox. My car did that when I had my K&N pod in the stock box.
      CARSFORHOPE

Comment

filters cleaner and newer = easier flow = more sucking noise
        or did u change ur headers? or take off a bolt or somthing?
        either that or you havent tightened somthing or forgot to clip somthign back on!

either way dont stress too much

if you hear the sucking noise i get you definately would be complaining haha sounds like i got a gt40

Comment

ever since i went aftermarket air filter, my car started doing the whistle too.

i dont mind it, i think i'm use to it. it only goes for a little while.

Comment

most likely the intake suck noise which all B18C's have,, its very much like turbo spool happens more so when off Vtec and around 1/8 throttle during acceleration

with a standard box you shouldn't really hear it. do you have a different intake ?

you will know a exhaust leak as it's really hissy and with a Honda probly be very loud when in vtec lol

some ppl might say this is dodgy but if you suspect you have a exhaust leak put a thong (what you wear on your feet i say this as ppl seem to get confused) or a rubber sheet over the tip of your exhaust and let it build up SOME pressure not to much how ever. and if u have any leaks you will hear them or it might not build up pressure at all if there bad enough
            Living The Midnight Dream

Comment

Sounds like you're hearing a redundant ported vacuum port in the throttle.
              This port would normally be used for charcoal canister switching on earlier model B-series.
              But your car is a DC2R & uses a VSV.
              Of course I am assuming the whistle is quite high pitched & only occurs at 10~15% throttle from say 2000rpm up.
              If that sounds about right, take a pic of the throttle body, both outside (viewed as installed)
              & with the intake pipe removed, throttle open & picturing the upper section of the opening.
              My guess is your throttle body is not original....
              But even if it is & the remnant of the port is causing the issue.
              The up side is carbie cleaner & a smear of sealant will likely solve your boggle
              Hope that helps
              TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
              TODA Racing - TODA Power - FIGHTEX
              Official Australian Distributors
              Engine Building / Dyno tuning / Licenced Mechanical Workshop

Email: toda@todaracing.com.au

M-Factory - HALTECH - Hondata - EXEDY - WORK - Supertech - Crower

Comment

My mugen intake whistles like crazy, I love it...

Quote:
                Originally Posted by justinfox
                You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

do you have the factory resonator chamber box in the front guard/bumper???

Comment

Exhaust leak? Either that, you're hearing things or it's normal induction noise you're just not used to.
                    Hmm, don't think so but maybe, and im definitely not hearing things.

I reckon it's still the airbox. My car did that when I had my K&N pod in the stock box.
                    Possible...

filters cleaner and newer = easier flow = more sucking noise
                    or did u change ur headers? or take off a bolt or somthing?
                    either that or you havent tightened somthing or forgot to clip somthign back on!

either way dont stress too much

if you hear the sucking noise i get you definately would be complaining haha sounds like i got a gt40
                    Didn't change headers. Checked all clips, they seem fine...

ever since i went aftermarket air filter, my car started doing the whistle too.

i dont mind it, i think i'm use to it. it only goes for a little while.
                    Don't know why but it annoys me alot.

most likely the intake suck noise which all B18C's have,, its very much like turbo spool happens more so when off Vtec and around 1/8 throttle during acceleration

with a standard box you shouldn't really hear it. do you have a different intake ?

you will know a exhaust leak as it's really hissy and with a Honda probly be very loud when in vtec lol

some ppl might say this is dodgy but if you suspect you have a exhaust leak put a thong (what you wear on your feet i say this as ppl seem to get confused) or a rubber sheet over the tip of your exhaust and let it build up SOME pressure not to much how ever. and if u have any leaks you will hear them or it might not build up pressure at all if there bad enough
                    The intake is supposedly all stock now. I might try your diagnostic tip tomorrow. Thanks.

Sounds like you're hearing a redundant ported vacuum port in the throttle.
                    This port would normally be used for charcoal canister switching on earlier model B-series.
                    But your car is a DC2R & uses a VSV.
                    Of course I am assuming the whistle is quite high pitched & only occurs at 10~15% throttle from say 2000rpm up.
                    If that sounds about right, take a pic of the throttle body, both outside (viewed as installed)
                    & with the intake pipe removed, throttle open & picturing the upper section of the opening.
                    My guess is your throttle body is not original....
                    But even if it is & the remnant of the port is causing the issue.
                    The up side is carbie cleaner & a smear of sealant will likely solve your boggle
                    Hope that helps
                    You are spot on with regards to 10~15% from 2000rpm up. High pitch whistle thats now short in duration. Used to be really long with the pod intake on as purchased from previous owner. Ok I will take some pics and post up tomorrow. Cheers.

My mugen intake whistles like crazy, I love it...
                    I just don't like mine. Its annoying.

do you have the factory resonator chamber box in the front guard/bumper???
                    What is that? I'm still a noob haha.

By the way, have a Merry Christmas all! I'll report back tomorrow.

Comment

Here are the pics as promised...

Pic of the airbox

My mechanic said he put in a new air filter, obviously didnt.

Throttle open:

Couldn't get a good one of throttle open. Camera is crappy.
                      Last edited by thegame888; 25-12-09, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thegame888 View Post
                        What is that? I'm still a noob haha.
                        the big white box under the air filter box in behind the front bumper/guard which draws the air to the filter... is it there? if not thats why there is a whistling noise

Comment

Originally posted by totti View Post
                          the big white box under the air filter box in behind the front bumper/guard which draws the air to the filter... is it there? if not thats why there is a whistling noise
                          it's clear that it's not there since the picture of the intake box shows that there's no resonator airbox.
                          you can put the resonator back in that's if your car came with one, it'll stop the whistling though there'll be restrictions in the airflow and vtec does not "kick in" as hard or sound as loud as if the resonator was removed

Comment

it's clear that it's not there since the picture of the intake box shows that there's no resonator airbox.
                            you can put the resonator back in that's if your car came with one, it'll stop the whistling though there'll be restrictions in the airflow and vtec does not "kick in" as hard or sound as loud as if the resonator was removed
                            Yes, it's there, if you mean the oval shaped, white plastic tube the airbox sits on top of and connects to.

Sorry, I didn't take a photo of it, but I can if you like.

It's just white plastic. Does it need to have anything on it around the edges to make a lock tight seal to the airbox though?

Comment

So I drove it for a little with the airbox removed. The loud sound is there so the airbox is part of it.

It's a painful sound, like the car is under duress.

With the airbox on it, it's there, but nowhere near as much.

It's there from second gear up, slightly at throttle opening and really loud anytime I accelerate with any urgency.

I don't want my car to scare pedestrians. I don't like the unnecessary attention.

Comment

Working...
                              X