No announcement yet.

bad for engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok thanks...was asking cos the honda mechanic that serviced my car mentioned it...he said its because of the amount of pressure the smaller parts in operation are put under in first gear...first gear is more vulnerable compared to other gears...?

Comment

Originally posted by Daft_Man View Post
      ok thanks...was asking cos the honda mechanic that serviced my car mentioned it...he said its because of the amount of pressure the smaller parts in operation are put under in first gear...first gear is more vulnerable compared to other gears...?
      You know i dont even really use first gear that much, alot of the time i take of in second (if on a fairly flat road/ usually cant be bothered doing an immediate gear change)

As long as the wheels are in motion you can go for your life in 1st gear

Comment

is it safe to say he worked at a Honda dealer?
        ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by Type S Tony View Post
          You know i dont even really use first gear that much, alot of the time i take of in second (if on a fairly flat road/ usually cant be bothered doing an immediate gear change)

As long as the wheels are in motion you can go for your life in 1st gear
          lol you take off in 2nd?
          Blaze Orange

Comment

yehh he's a mechanic for one of the honda dealer in melb btw.

Comment

Revving the car to below the redline is not bad for the engine thats designed to do it.

What you don't want to do is keep the engine at sustained high RPM (ie: keeping it in 2nd gear all the way through a corner while boiling it at 7000rpm the whole time is not quite nice)

However for accelerating off the line... no you should be able to VTEC all day and terrorise the wildlife provided you keep the car well serviced.

saying high rpm for a performance based honda is bad... is like saying you shouldnt use your steak knife to cut your steak cos it'll wear it out....

Comment

yehh he's a mechanic for one of the honda dealer in melb btw.
                Did he also tell you that if you do keep driving it in first, your VTEC can fall off?

Comment

Originally posted by m0nty View Post
                  Did he also tell you that if you do keep driving it in first, your VTEC can fall off?
                  UHHH NOOO....was just clarifying as i dunno myself, neways no need for sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by **Ghost** View Post
                    Revving the car to below the redline is not bad for the engine thats designed to do it.

What you don't want to do is keep the engine at sustained high RPM (ie: keeping it in 2nd gear all the way through a corner while boiling it at 7000rpm the whole time is not quite nice)

However for accelerating off the line... no you should be able to VTEC all day and terrorise the wildlife provided you keep the car well serviced.

saying high rpm for a performance based honda is bad... is like saying you shouldnt use your steak knife to cut your steak cos it'll wear it out....
                    LOL, Every time i have my chihauhau in the car and i hit V-tech it start barking madly and then curls up & gets scared

Comment

Originally posted by **Ghost** View Post

Should be okay, i mean how else are you going to come out of a corner with speed if your not in the vtec range?
                      Blaze Orange

Comment

LOL, Every time i have my chihauhau in the car and i hit V-tech it start barking madly and then curls up & gets scared
                        hahahaha u serious!!! only bad thing bout smashin the TEC in first is maybe flog the mounts out a bit quiker lol thats all i can think of..

Comment

Does anyone know if Honda marine outboard engines have any sort of V-tech system?
                          i remember reading that the 4 stroke outboard engines are based on the b16, and f22 engines... but no vtec.

Comment

Does anyone know if Honda marine outboard engines have any sort of V-tech system?
                            i have a mate who is a boat biulder, and they have used the same style of 'outboard' that is the same as a honda jazz i-VTEC engine.

he said they got VTEC to kick in and it's heaps funny.

Comment

Originally posted by quenjose View Post
                              i remember reading that the 4 stroke outboard engines are based on the b16, and f22 engines... but no vtec.
                              Originally posted by Timmy_B View Post
                              i have a mate who is a boat biulder, and they have used the same style of 'outboard' that is the same as a honda jazz i-VTEC engine.

he said they got VTEC to kick in and it's heaps funny.
                              Looking to replace a couple of outboards and was hoping to get that same road car exhaust noise. Bloody expensive motors, their almost asking for like $18,000 eac one??????

Comment

you can get 2 dc2rs for that price!
                                '08 Odyssey + '10 Mazda CX-7 (fs btw) + '10 Mazda 2
                                wife made me sell the FN2R. bleh.

Comment

Working...
                                X