No announcement yet.

problems with Shell Optimax 98???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did James tune your car on Synergy 8000 (his favourite fuel) or did he tune it with Optimax ?
    I am a lesbian trapped inside a male body

Comment

haha...my DC5R is the opposite

I was filling up with Optimax only...other fuel make it ping...
      Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #005

Comment

my car didnt like optimax when i had it i only used to fill up wit mobil and that was awesome for my car second choice was bp n dats it nuthin else

Comment

funny...when it was released in malaysia at least 5 years ago...it was called vpower...3rd world ftw hehe
          arrowz
          sigpic

[ Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #003 ]

Comment

Kinda OT but I've watched a clip where they compared BP Ultimate and Shell Optimax; which they found Shell Optimax actually gave abit more torque.

Don't know if its BS but they did a dyno to prove it.
            sif it's a girls car
            sigpic

Comment

changed thread title...
              ... retired/

Comment

It's funny because there are only 2 refineries petrol comes from
                happyhong says:
                aus only have 3 r
                happyhong says:
                civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

yeah, i laff my ass off at the "Shell works better than BP or Mobil" (or whatever) posturing

it is ALL in your minds people!!!

anyways -

pinging is dependent on external factors like temperature, humidity, altitude, static ignition timing, spark plug heat range,

just FYI - one guy at the recent dyno day who's car was pinging badly in upper RPM was asked: "have you changed your ignition timing? it is pinging badly?"

the guy said "no, but i dont tune my car, Charlie does..."

so my question to you neostars - have you or anyone else altered your ignition timing?

or maybe installed a set of new spark plugs, that did not accuratly match the heat range of the ones the car was tuned on?

or maybe you had a different air intake, that provided a different temperature of charge air, thus affecting the density of the A/F mix and hence the engines propensity to ping...

or maybe you just got a poor or inappropriate tune for your driving style???

or maybe someone removed your Knock Sensor?!?!?
                  ... retired/

Comment

question 1) noone has alter my ignition timing. Unless Honda or Hanny did something.
                    q2)new plat NGK spark plugs were installed by james on the day of tune. He specifically advise me to purchase those plugs. Ping start shortly after, but i though it was my numberplate rattling so i didnt take notice until, it got really distracting. (always using shell optimax 98)
                    q3)same intake neva changed it.

q4)it is possible the tune was poor. James advise, it tuned on 98.
                    q5)knock sensors? (dunno).

I came to this conclusion, base on the fact, that when i switch petrol, the pinging is gone.
                    Shell (Optimax) may be providing inconsistently fuel quality.
                    When i was vtecing with Shell Optimax 98, the smell of the fuel was fowl and it left black marks on the tip of my exhaust.
                    With octane booster and shell 100, i notice the fowl smell is gone and there is no black marks on my exhaust.
                    I'm going to test Shell 100 on it own and i let u know if it still pings.
                    I based my info on personal experience.
                    Last edited by neostars; 17-10-06, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Let me get this right, the pinging started after james tuned your car and changed the plugs?

Damn I would be on the phone so fast to him it would make his head spin!

Comment

i neva heard the sound of ping so i thought it was my numberplate rattling, (which i relocated just after the tune).
                        That why i didnt bother to call him.

Comment

damn, that's a shame man...

if it has been knocking for so long, it would be surprising if it has not caused damage

maybe have your ignition timing checked at a workshop as a basic step.
                          ... retired/

Comment

tinkerbell, from what he said, it happens at low load, its not going to be his static ign timing, its the tune.

Comment

Optimax did make carbon build up on ur exhaust tip....I got heaps on mine too....I've been using shell optimax since day one ....no problem at all.....you should give him a call and ask why I reckon....hope you get ur problem fix soon bro...
                              Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                              1)ブレーキを踏む
                              2)クラッチを切る
                              3)シフトダウンしなから、
                                アクセルをぶかす
                              4)クラッチをつなぐ
                              :blah:
                              インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
                              人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

Originally posted by freakie View Post
                                tinkerbell, from what he said, it happens at low load, its not going to be his static ign timing, its the tune.
                                i said *basic* step for a reason.

with cars, you move from the basic to the complex

well, at least thats what i try to do...
                                ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                                X