problems with Shell Optimax 98???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems with Shell Optimax 98???

I had an early post about my car pinging really bad for a while.
    i Had KPRO installed for 2years and my car has been running on Shell Optimax 98.
    Today i brought NulonOctane booster and pump in Shell Optimax extreme 100.
    So am running at around 102 octane level - The pinging is pretty much gone!!!!.
    This leads me to believe Shell Optimax 98 is not consistently 98 octane.
    When my Nulon Octane booster is finished on this tank, i'm going to run Shell Optimax extreme 100 on it own. I want to see if the ping continues.
    If it does, than am going to try BP Ultimate 98.

I would not recommend anyone to pump that garbage( shell optimax 98) into their car, especially if it been tuned.

Anyone else had bad experience with Shell Optimax 98 or is it called VPOWER now??

How bad was the pinging previously? I would try not putting in the octane booster and just running the extreme because that stopped my problem.

Comment

They are gonna re-launch Optimax on Australia as V-Power hehehe...but glad that you're problem is gone...I don't use Optimax...only ever use Ultimate...though I just filled up a tank of Synergy 8000.

Comment

Octane rating can and will diminish as the fuel ages in storage.

Depending on the volume that particular service station sells, your fuel may have a lower Octane rating than advertised.

Hence why I try to get fuel from outlets that I know pump a lot of fuel and constantly have fresher supply.
        | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Yeah they changed the names.
          last time i filled up im like "where optimax go"
          lucky for me they have a chart stating the changes.

Also maybe the tune was based on another type of fuel hence the pinging in your car.

Comment

I rocked up to a petrol station last week and they didnt have that chart...i freaked out thinking they had discontinued optimax! lol

Comment

Originally posted by neostars View Post

Anyone else had bad experience with Shell Optimax 98
              no, i have never had a problem with Shell Optimax
              ... retired/

Comment

My car doesnt like optimax either

Comment

What cambo said. Try and go to a servo that is busy. Like a main road one.
                  If your car was tuned on optimax 98 then you probably just had a bad batch.

Don't go to those run down shell's.
                  happyhong says:
                  aus only have 3 r
                  happyhong says:
                  civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

Originally posted by neostars View Post
                    I would not recommend anyone to pump that garbage( shell optimax 98) into their car, especially if it been tuned.
                    Did it ping all the time or was this a one off? If it's pinging constantly on 98 octane I would seriously look at your tune. Octane booster or Optimax 100 (which isn't true 100 octane fuel anyway) may only be covering up a more serious problem.

I've had no trouble driving tuned cars with 13+:1 CR on 98RON fuel, other than the bad batch every now and then...
                    Originally posted by TODA RACING Aust - Adrian
                    In your case, clearly you have a combination that is bordering on crap...

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteDC2 View Post
                      Did it ping all the time or was this a one off? If it's pinging constantly on 98 octane I would seriously look at your tune. Octane booster or Optimax 100 (which isn't true 100 octane fuel anyway) may only be covering up a more serious problem.

I've had no trouble driving tuned cars with 13+:1 CR on 98RON fuel, other than the bad batch every now and then...
                      James told me the car is tune to use 98 octane.
                      Either Optimax quality is crap or James did a bad tuning job. I tried emailing him, but he didnt reply, so there goes the after sales service.

I will contact Adrian for a retune, when i can get the money. Bit broke at the moment.

The car was pinging all the time when going up hill or around 2500rpm. Any higher and there was no pinging (maybe because the loud sound mask the problem).

I always fill up at Shell in Liverpool (next to RTA) and the one at Cabramatta (next to cumberland hwy.)
                      Last edited by neostars; 16-10-06, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                        How bad was the pinging previously? I would try not putting in the octane booster and just running the extreme because that stopped my problem.
                        Ping was always there at 2500rpm or going up hill.

Comment

that sounds like a tune problem more than fuel problem. I never expect ping to occur at such a early rev range.
                          For all ralliart colt owners & lovers, i'm please to announce that the ralliart colt forum is finally online and working. Please come and support the site. http://www.rcolt.com

Comment

Thats definately a tune problem. My experience with james is he will blame every variable other than his tuning for the issue.

Run the 100 octane as a preventative measure, but get it rectified asap

Comment

interesting....anyone have a sound clip of an engine pinging.. checked you tube already

Comment

Working...
                              X