When to check the oil level?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to check the oil level?

So like, a friend of mine was driving for 10min and hears strange noises coming from his car. He decides to check his oil level and notices that it's WAY below the 'low' dot.

So he buys more oil and tops it up..now he later finds that he has WAY too much oil as the oil level is alot higher than the 'high' dot.

(the stange noises are still there)

This has led me to think..after driving for a while, turning off your car and checking the oil level straight away, is it normal for the oil level to be below the 'low' dot? If so, how long will the car need to be left off for before the actual oil level reading will be shown on the dipstick?

Thanks

Oil will take a while to drain back down into the sump so try and leave it a while before checking the level. Mine seems to be within 100mls of the normal "cold" level after about half an hour of sitting. I only add oil after checking the level when cold.
    01 JDM CW DC5R - C pack - 17" RAYS CE28N Bronze - Potenza RE001 - BuddyClub N+ - Mugen Airbox/Header/Twinloop/Strut bar/Therostat/Fan SW/GT Wing - Hondata IMG/K Pro - Bride Seat Rails - Defi BF/Pod - C-West Lip Kit - Super pro castor bushings - Ingalls Camber arms

Comment

Do it in the morning b4 start.....or wait a few min after running....also if you only do short trips daily....check once a week.....I check mine weekly anyway....
      Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
      1)ブレーキを踏む
      2)クラッチを切る
      3)シフトダウンしなから、
        アクセルをぶかす
      4)クラッチをつなぐ
      :blah:
      インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
      人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

ok - So I decided to check my oil level this morning. (i.e. the car has been left off overnight..hehe)

The oil level is 2mm below the bottom dot.

What does that mean? Do I just top up with some more oil until the oil level is betweent he two dots?

Comment

Yes, that's what I do.
          I am a lesbian trapped inside a male body

Comment

Ok. Just done it.

I filled the oil so that its about 3/4 between the lower dot and the upper dot.

Is that ok? OR should it actually be filled exactly up to the upper dot?

Comment

On a side note, do dc2rs really consume that much oil? hehe..

I had the oil changed like 2000km ago, been to one trackday, had the car tuned..and its below the lower dot..Is that normal?

Comment

Originally posted by Justified View Post
                On a side note, do dc2rs really consume that much oil? hehe..

I had the oil changed like 2000km ago, been to one trackday, had the car tuned..and its below the lower dot..Is that normal?
                I burn around 1L of oil at Phillip Island, and 500ml on the other tracks which are nowhere near as agressive. I usually just fill it right in between the dots for normal driving, and all the way to the top dot for track.
                I am a lesbian trapped inside a male body

Comment

oh ok - cool

Thanks vtml.

Comment

when vtecing alot, b series engines tend to consume alot of oil (comparitive to other engines)

I found that my dc5r consumes way less oil (again comparitive) than the em1 civic i owned previously.
                    ClubITR- newcastle

Comment

ok - So I decided to check my oil level this morning. (i.e. the car has been left off overnight..hehe)

The oil level is 2mm below the bottom dot.

What does that mean? Do I just top up with some more oil until the oil level is betweent he two dots?
                      ive heard that the distance between the two dots is 1L ...
                      so 2mm below that.. u can use that as a gauge to top it up appropriately ..

i'd fill it up to 3/4 between the first and 2nd dot..
                      Farewell TYP88R

Comment

Ok. Just done it.

I filled the oil so that its about 3/4 between the lower dot and the upper dot.

Is that ok? OR should it actually be filled exactly up to the upper dot?
                        Fill it all the way up mate and then some. I over fill mine so it's about 5mm above the top dot. Just think it's sitting below the dot when it's cold and settled. Now when it's hot, the motor's doing 8600rpm, you're flying around corners and oil is being thrown and pumped everywhere.... How much do you think is going to be around your pick up? If I were you guys I'd seriously think about at least filling your oil all the way up.
                        Originally posted by TODA RACING Aust - Adrian
                        In your case, clearly you have a combination that is bordering on crap...

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteDC2 View Post
                          Fill it all the way up mate and then some. I over fill mine so it's about 5mm above the top dot. Just think it's sitting below the dot when it's cold and settled. Now when it's hot, the motor's doing 8600rpm, you're flying around corners and oil is being thrown and pumped everywhere.... How much do you think is going to be around your pick up? If I were you guys I'd seriously think about at least filling your oil all the way up.

when checking my oil levels, i let the car idle and check oil levels straight after shutting off the car. been doing so for 110,000+kms.. no problems whatsoever.
                          T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

As per above...

I start the car let the oil pump all over the joint.. stop it and check it immediately..

This is proabably the first post i have read to ever suggest checking it in the morning when the oil is drained down....
                            Last edited by BlitZ; 19-10-06, 10:42 AM.

Project: Machine myself a heavy gear knob

Comment

checking in the morning tells you how much oil is in the sump,

checking it after starting it tells you how much oil is in the engine...
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X