X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by l3vnd1 View Post
    Had the same problem not too long ago.

Had to replace bearing and hub.

I did both front ones at once just for peace of mind.
    If you dont mind me asking, how much did that set u back?

the mistress is going to the garage come next pay packet...

Comment

You should try to tighten your drive shaft nut first, a wheel bearing has to pretty gone to have play like that. And you would have heard it long before now if that was the case....

Comment

Originally posted by intk20A View Post
        You should try to tighten your drive shaft nut first, a wheel bearing has to pretty gone to have play like that. And you would have heard it long before now if that was the case....
        i got it fixed a couple weeks back... on the weekend of the GOR cruise to be exact.

My bearing and hub needed to be replaced unfortunately.

Apparently 3 out of 4 times, its always the front left bearing that goes, and its not necessary to change the other side until it shows signs of play.

I'm guessing this is because potholes and cobblestone are predominantly on the left side of the road.

My mech also said... (and this might be useful for DC5 owners), that DC5s have a tendency for all 4 wheels bearings to fail at roughly the same time, especially when running aftermarket susp or bigger wheels.

His reasoning was that the factory bearings were too small for the application and thus suffered premature failure.

Comment

well, my LHS driveshaft keeps failing...

my theory is related to the torque bias on the LHS perhaps?
          ... retired/

Comment

more torque bias on the LHS driveshaft?

do u mean that theres more torque twist acting on the LHS shaft due to the length and the longer distance from the gb?

Comment

not exactly sure, but it seems that LHS hub takes more punishment than the RHS, as supported by the LHS bearing often failing before the RHS one?

this might relate to teh way the torque acts on that side...

but meh - might just be because it is the gutter wheel and takes more hits?

wonder if it opposite in the USA?
              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
              X