X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheel bearings ?

Hey guys,

just need a bit of advice.

Was servicing on the car on the weekend, oil, tranny oil n stuff.

While i had the car jacked up, i realised the front left wheel had abit of play in it. about 2-3mm of it.

I rotated the wheel a few times, and i could hear what sounded like a loose bearing clicking inside after each 360 rotation.
    I'm guessing my wheel bearing needs to be replaced. damn alma rd...

i've checked the other 3 corners, and they are fine.

so question is, should i get the front pair of bearings done together?
    since i'm guessing that if one goes... the other will soon follow?

or should i only tend to the problem corner?

thanks

You can replace just one - but if it were me I would probably just do both while I was at it. Peace of mind is nice

They are pretty cheap - you can get a Koyo bearing from a bearing supplier for around $60ea.

If you have a press available and you are pretty handy, replace the one that needs doing then see how you feel about doing the other side! hehe...
    | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Originally posted by freakygeek View Post
      You can replace just one - but if it were me I would probably just do both while I was at it. Peace of mind is nice

They are pretty cheap - you can get a Koyo bearing from a bearing supplier for around $60ea.

If you have a press available and you are pretty handy, replace the one that needs doing then see how you feel about doing the other side! hehe...
      I agree. Depending on the KMs of your car you might consider also replacing the hubs, I am not sure whether this affects DC2s but on my car (a DC5) when I replaced both front wheel bearings and hubs it was the inner race developing play on the hub that was causing issues and this damaged the hubs so they needed replacing. It may have been the significant negative camber that I have run on my car that contributed to this issue though.

Comment

Yup, i'd rather do both and save myself the down time in the garage if the other bearing decides to konk-out 3 weeks or 2 months after.

I would very much like to attempt swapping the bearings out myself, but unfortunately i dont have access to a press.

should i also consider replacing any other components, i.e. bushes, while its out, assuming the whole knuckle has to come out right?

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
          I agree. Depending on the KMs of your car you might consider also replacing the hubs, I am not sure whether this affects DC2s but on my car (a DC5) when I replaced both front wheel bearings and hubs it was the inner race developing play on the hub that was causing issues and this damaged the hubs so they needed replacing. It may have been the significant negative camber that I have run on my car that contributed to this issue though.
          damaged hubs? damn, i would've thought they were quite sturdy items...
          I just hit 95k kms, and its mostly stock. might take the wheel off and see if it is the hub when i have time this weekend...

Comment

DC2 front wheel bearings are complete, ie. you press in a new outer race.

Fairly unlikely that you'll need new hubs unless the bearing has been quite bad for a long time.

Attached Files

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

thanks guys...
              wallet lightening in progress...

Comment

Originally posted by quenjose View Post
                thanks guys...
                wallet lightening in progress...
                In case you need it :-

Honda Part Number :- 44300-S04-A02
                Koyo Part No :- DAC4379W-1CS57

Comment

Originally posted by freakygeek View Post
                  In case you need it :-

Honda Part Number :- 44300-S04-A02
                  Koyo Part No :- DAC4379W-1CS57
                  ah yes.. many thanks freaky!

Comment

Originally posted by quenjose View Post
                    damaged hubs? damn, i would've thought they were quite sturdy items...
                    I just hit 95k kms, and its mostly stock. might take the wheel off and see if it is the hub when i have time this weekend...
                    I think you misunderstood me, the hubs are quite sturdy but if the area where the inner race of the bearing presses on to it is damaged this can prevent the new bearing from being press fit onto the hub correctly. From the sounds of things your hubs are most likely fine to re-use just inspect them once you have removed the old bearing, munching hubs seems to be more of a DC5 and S2000 issue.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                      I think you misunderstood me, the hubs are quite sturdy but if the area where the inner race of the bearing presses on to it is damaged this can prevent the new bearing from being press fit onto the hub correctly. From the sounds of things your hubs are most likely fine to re-use just inspect them once you have removed the old bearing, munching hubs seems to be more of a DC5 and S2000 issue.
                      yes, i think you're right... in that i misunderstood your statement.
                      The tech drawings (thanks freaky) have helped me understand what you're saying.

Basically, i wont be able to tell if the hubs are damaged just by taking the wheel off... since its the rear of the hub assembly that mounts into the bearing, and any damage assessment would require me to separate the hub from the bearing.

hope i haven't done any damage to the hub.

gotcha chargeR, thanks again guys.

530! ...... shoooom..... out the door

Comment

I ruined a hub by leaving a dodgey bearing too long. It leaves a step on the hub - you would notice it straight away.
                        Originally posted by TODA RACING Aust - Adrian
                        In your case, clearly you have a combination that is bordering on crap...

Comment

we had a sv21 camry come in once ..the bearing was that warn it snapped the cv nut off with the end of the cv still attached...some ppl leave it to long and it does way more damage

Comment

Had the same problem not too long ago.

Had to replace bearing and hub.

I did both front ones at once just for peace of mind.

Rear ones arent as prone to failure due to less pressure. Is that true?
                            "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

http://thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com/

Comment

yeah id imagine so cause it kinda makes sense ....but pot holes and shit cant do them to good

Comment

Working...
                              X