Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough Idle

Hey guys/girls,

my car is experience some idle issues, when its warm, it sometimes idles at approx 800rpm, sometimes 1,100.. and i can feel the car 'shake' a bit. when i popped open the hood, i can slightly notice the engine 'shake' around. also theres a noticeable tapping sound near the distrubutor side of the motor..

was wondering if anybody has experienced something like this or have any suggestions of what it could be..

ps: ive used throtle body cleaner and it still idles rough.

Thanks,
    DvS-

When was the last time you did a service?, checked spark plugs? happend to my ED before, changed sparkies than it was all good again.
    ek9-->ED civic--> eg--> S2K-->JDM DC2R-->EP3

Comment

any mods on throttle body or intake manifold?
      i changed my intake manifold and throttle body and it is rough..
      - Project R -

Comment

everything is stock as a rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
          When was the last time you did a service?, checked spark plugs? happend to my ED before, changed sparkies than it was all good again.
          i thoguht so too, but i serviced it on saturday arvo, new plugs, oil etc and it still does it.. :\

Comment

check the gearbox engine mount
            ... retired/

Comment

I have had a fue hondas that get cracks in the coil inside the dissy. Tends to cause a short random miss fire at idle (engine shake) noticably worse under heavy acceleration.

Can you be clearer on the idle? Is idle high (1100) all the time, engine warm? Engine idle high low high low ect?

X2 for what tink said. If it hasn't been done for a bit, air and fuel filtters dissy cap and rotor, cheak or replace leads.

I am surprised how many times at work (auto elect) these basics fix most faults.

Comment

have you checked the idle switch?
                '08 Odyssey + '10 Mazda CX-7 (fs btw) + '10 Mazda 2
                wife made me sell the FN2R. bleh.

Comment

Originally posted by wpg81 View Post
                  I have had a fue hondas that get cracks in the coil inside the dissy. Tends to cause a short random miss fire at idle (engine shake) noticably worse under heavy acceleration.

Can you be clearer on the idle? Is idle high (1100) all the time, engine warm? Engine idle high low high low ect?

X2 for what tink said. If it hasn't been done for a bit, air and fuel filtters dissy cap and rotor, cheak or replace leads.

I am surprised how many times at work (auto elect) these basics fix most faults.
                  it used to idle at approx 1,100 rpm when warm, now, sometimes it idles at 800, and changes.. ill check the dizzy to see its condition. air filter is clean, havent changed fuel filter since i got it... will check the mounts also..

Comment

Iacv?

Originally posted by ChargeR
                    Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by VTECMACHINE View Post
                      Iacv?
                      im gona check the dizzy tonight.

i found a DIY on how to clean the IACV on honda-tech. im gona try that this weekend.

how do i check the engine mounts condition?

Comment

any pics of where the iacv on dc5 is?
                        - Project R -

Comment

Originally posted by vippy84 View Post
                          any pics of where the iacv on dc5 is?
                          i cant see the pics cause im at work but try this link vippy:

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28583

Comment

Originally posted by DvS- View Post
                            how do i check the engine mounts condition?
                            torch + eyes. if you see something suspicious, try to move the engine what watching the rubber mount.

obvious cracks are bad.
                            ... retired/

Comment

thanks, very helpful, but it is a bit of a dig to take out the iacv though.
                              - Project R -

Comment

Working...
                              X