No announcement yet.

Bigger T/B worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're going down the path of drag/street I'd be thinking about ITBs. Have you already bought and fitted the RBC? Combined cost with a 70mm TB isn't far off what you can get some ITB setups for.

Comment

yeh i've already bought the rbc...im sticking with my stock t/b, and later on when i build my bottom end (maybe k20/24) i'll do ITB's
      183.2KW ATW
      BUILT BY DR HONDA
      Tuned by INSIGHT MOTORSPORT

12.44@109.9mph

Comment

ITB's sound great when you hit vtec
        "Death before dishonor!"

TheTeamIkon.com

Comment

but with itb you will lose alot of power if you strap filters on

z10 says:
          i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
          z10 says:
          mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

yea you will lose power but if your running at the track more than likely your probably not going to run filters
            "Death before dishonor!"

TheTeamIkon.com

Comment

i would run filters on the track instead...cos if you spin out means alot of dust will end up inside the engine

z10 says:
              i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
              z10 says:
              mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

dust really isn't a problem i'd be more worried about rocks and pebbles
                "Death before dishonor!"

TheTeamIkon.com

Comment

wont going with too bigger cams make you almost loose vtec? as in the lobes that surround the vtec lobe are the only ones that increase in size?? so the transition into vtec is smaller kinda killing vtec? i dunno i still would want that burst into vtec if this is in fact the case.. spec b's ftw.. if your increasing the manifold that can bore to match a larger TB why not get it.. if not the 70mm even the 68mm?
                  DCIIR

Comment

I've got mine custom bored to 68mm......didn't notice any different in low revs.....but for sure top end pull a lot harder........help me to improve my lap time approx 1/2 sec compare stock.......
                    or maybe I am not good enough to feel the difference??.....lol......or maybe K20 have better low end torque?
                    Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                    1)ブレーキを踏む
                    2)クラッチを切る
                    3)シフトダウンしなから、
                      アクセルをぶかす
                    4)クラッチをつなぐ
                    :blah:
                    インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
                    人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

made the decision to stick with the stock t/b for now till i start on the bottom end next year sometime...i'd rather get the clutch/fly for now as i will feel this alot more than the t/b with stock clutch/fly. should be getting all the stuff put in early december...cant wait to see what it doea on wsid
                      183.2KW ATW
                      BUILT BY DR HONDA

12.44@109.9mph

Comment

Originally posted by noodleman View Post
                        itb will made the idle alot worst then bigger tb
                        Only when they are installed & tuned by someone who doesn't really know what they are doing. The problem could be in the set up & how much the installer really knew, or it could be a tune issue. Either way, they should idle fine & they can be made to.
                        Idle should generally be better than plenum system, particularly when large cams are employed.
                        Originally posted by noodleman View Post
                        but with itb you will lose alot of power if you strap filters on
                        You should be using an airbox with CAI feed & remote filter.
                        Omitting this part will cost you power & response.
                        If you've got ITB's & are having issues we can probably sort them out for you.
                        If the budget cannot be streched to install ITB's with all required ascociated hardware, you are much better of staying with a plenum system intake.
                        Both power wise & finacially.
                        Originally posted by Absolut R View Post
                        wont going with too bigger cams make you almost loose vtec? as in the lobes that surround the vtec lobe are the only ones that increase in size?? so the transition into vtec is smaller kinda killing vtec? i dunno i still would want that burst into vtec if this is in fact the case.. spec b's ftw.. if your increasing the manifold that can bore to match a larger TB why not get it.. if not the 70mm even the 68mm?
                        Depending on cam manufacturer will determine the amount of change from stock in the low & the high cam lobes.
                        Generally for best power delivery, the transition from low cam to high (Vtec swap) is smooth (almost undetectable) at best.
                        A sudden burst of power when you hit Vtec, means you're probably missing out on power earlier in the rev range where you could have swapped earlier.
                        Of course this isn't always the case & again depends on the cam manufuactuer (& to a lesser extent the installer & tuner.)
                        Regarding larger throttles,
                        Though popular with salesmen, these are less popular with engine builders & tuners & really aught to be well & truley late in your agenda.
                        Why? Well in reallity on a standard compression DOHC Vtec engine. There is very little if anything to be gained by changing to a larger throttle.
                        Further, it aught to be noted many engines actually go backwards.
                        In my experience, engines with standard compression & cams gain very little & generally go backwards when you go this way.
                        Most of the time but not always, this power loss can be tuned back into it, but the net result is a waste of time & money.
                        Before you buy a throttle, look at the obvious mods 1st.
                        CAI, Good header, Good exhaust, ECU, cams, compression etc...
                        If all that's covered & it's a high output built engine,
                        Talk to your engine builder & or tuner (Not a parts salesman or racer) & workout what you need.
                        Don't just guess, ask someone with real experience & get it right 1st time.
                        Hope that helps.
                        TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
                        TODA Racing - TODA Power - FIGHTEX
                        Official Australian Distributors
                        Engine Building / Dyno tuning / Licenced Mechanical Workshop

Email: toda@todaracing.com.au

M-Factory - HALTECH - Hondata - EXEDY - WORK - Supertech - Crower

Comment

My best advice is to sign up on www.k20a.org and do your research on that forum. They are the biggest forum for K-series talk and know the pro and cons of every modification.

Learn from people that have real experience from different products and combo's that actually really works. You'll be amaze from certain results
                          BYP Racing & Developments
                          Sales - Performance parts - Tuning - Race Prep - Engine Builds - Gearbox Upgrade - Car Set-up - Consultancy

Email - benny@bypracing.com
                          STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

i did my search on clubrsx as well, and the majority dont think a bigger t/b is worth it. im just gonna stick with stock, till i get a built bottom end then ill go ITB's
                            183.2KW ATW
                            BUILT BY DR HONDA

12.44@109.9mph

Comment

Working...
                            X