Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bigger T/B worth it?

hey guys,

as some of you may know, im getting cams/valve train put into to my car as well as an RBC I/M manifold. my question is; is it worth getting a bigger T/B? i have done some research on clubrsx and most of the members there say that a bigger T/B does nothing for performance and compromises driveability...but when speaking to traders here in aus (no names mentioned) they say that a 75mm T/B is an absolute must...bit confused
    183.2KW ATW
    BUILT BY DR HONDA
    Tuned by INSIGHT MOTORSPORT

12.44@109.9mph

where ever you read that getting a bigger TB does nothing, they must be idiots. Either that or they were stupid enough to fit a larger TB without port matching the manifold to suit.

Larger TB is a must if you're wanting any decent gains.

Comment

Yes Enlarged TB is great. Doesn't compromise driving if your tune is right.
      I'd say get one.

Originally posted by ChargeR
      Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by 03DC5R View Post
        hey guys,

as some of you may know, im getting cams/valve train put into to my car as well as an RBC I/M manifold. my question is; is it worth getting a bigger T/B? i have done some research on clubrsx and most of the members there say that a bigger T/B does nothing for performance and compromises driveability...but when speaking to traders here in aus (no names mentioned) they say that a 75mm T/B is an absolute must...bit confused
        A 75mm TB? Where'd they get that diameter from?

Comment

Originally posted by m0nty View Post
          A 75mm TB? Where'd they get that diameter from?
          sorryyy sam lol, i meant 70mm t/b, here's the link to clubrsx, read all the posts by k20a:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...=throttle+body

spoke to my tuner, and my engine builder and they both agreed that a bigger t/b will lose power everywhere except for topend, and will idle like shit...
          183.2KW ATW
          BUILT BY DR HONDA

12.44@109.9mph

Comment

sorryyy sam lol, i meant 70mm t/b, here's the link to clubrsx, read all the posts by k20a:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...=throttle+body

spoke to my tuner, and my engine builder and they both agreed that a bigger t/b will lose power everywhere except for topend, and will idle like shit...
            Idle like shit? your kidding. Loose power everywhere? highly doubt it. It'll pick up power throughout rev range. Who are your tuner and engine builder?
            BYP Racing & Developments
            Built. Tuned. Driven
            Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

the airflow path should be COMPATIBLE along its entire length.

if you make the cams open the valves more (you are fitting cams right???), obviously it might be a good idea to make sure the exhaust and intake are up to the task...

if the "task" is only 150kw atw, then maybe these parts will be?

but going beyond 200kW - i doubt most parts will remain the most appropriate...

the LAST thing to change is the TB, you do: exhaust/intake, then headers, then ECU, then maybe cams - then you decide if your combination of parts in the airflow path is being restricted (unless it is obvious).
              Last edited by tinkerbell; 10-11-08, 10:46 AM.
              ... retired/

Comment

however - throttle response is the other "issue" with bored tb's
                ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                  the airflow path should be COMPATIBLE along its entire length.

if you make the cams open the valves more (you are fitting cams right???), obviously it might be a good idea to make sure the exhaust and intake are up to the task...

if the "task" is only 150kw atw, then maybe these parts will be?

but going beyond 200kW - i doubt most parts will remain the most appropriate...

the LAST thing to change is the TB, you do: exhaust/intake, then headers, then ECU, then maybe cams - then you decide if your combination of parts in the airflow path is being restricted (unless it is obvious).
                  i already have injen intake, toda headers, 3" catback, kpro.
                  im getting toda spec c cams put in along with the valve train and rbc i/m. and yes im only chasing like 150KW. i think you only need a bigger t/b if you have a fully built engine...i think im gonna save my money and get an orc clutch/fly instead
                  183.2KW ATW
                  BUILT BY DR HONDA

12.44@109.9mph

Comment

however - throttle response is the other "issue" with bored tb's
                    that too, it is at the end of the day a street car...
                    183.2KW ATW
                    BUILT BY DR HONDA

12.44@109.9mph

Comment

Spec C's for a daily?

I'd be going for Spec B's if I were in your position.

Or JUN spec II's if I wanted something inbetween. But the JUN cams are even a tad hardcore.

Originally posted by ChargeR
                      Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

spec c's are still streetable, its not that hardcore
                        183.2KW ATW
                        BUILT BY DR HONDA

12.44@109.9mph

Comment

Originally posted by VTECMACHINE View Post
                          Spec C's for a daily?

I'd be going for Spec B's if I were in your position.

Or JUN spec II's if I wanted something inbetween. But the JUN cams are even a tad hardcore.
                          You're just weak sauce.

Comment

i think im gonna save my money and get an orc clutch/fly instead
                            an ORC clutch/flywheel costs $150???

wtf?
                            ... retired/

Comment

an ORC clutch/flywheel costs $150???

wtf?
                              $150!!! WTF, mate if you havent noticed the aussie dollar is doin shit, the cheapest T/B is going for >$600, im getting the ORC clutch/flywheel for a very very good price...
                              183.2KW ATW
                              BUILT BY DR HONDA

12.44@109.9mph

Comment

Working...
                              X