Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which brake rotors?

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of changing my rotors as the standard rotors on my car (dc2r) are wearing thin. I have no idea what rotors to get and what I should be expecting to pay. Did a search but nothing much came up about replacement of rotors, only about pads. Doesn't anyone change their rotors here??

Any input/comments/opinions is greatly appreciated. I would be using it mainly for street driving and a few trackdays every year. So.. ermmm.. let say for $1500... what can I get? what should I get? or should I spend a few hundred more for something else bigger/better?

abit more about my current setup, pads still have plenty of meat. brake lines are standard. rims are stock 15" as well.

sorry if it seems kinda noobie... thanks in advance guys.
    Last edited by cldc2; 26-09-06, 09:43 AM.

endless slotted rotors? not sure how much...but i got mine around the $800 mark, but that was for a dc5 not dc2

z10 says:
    i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
    z10 says:
    mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

Boo to Zeal *thumbs down*

Comment

Well you have the option for some standard replacement ones. I'm not sure how much they cost but I'd expect them to be around the 300 to 450 mark.

Most people on a budget will think about DBA slotted rotors which range from about 400 to 500 mark.

Then you can start thinking about other slotted brands, such as endless and brembo which start over the 500 mark.

The above prices are for front rotors.

I can't comment on the different rotors, because I've only ever used oem.
        Last edited by BF; 26-09-06, 10:08 AM.
        "No Matter that you have a PhD and have read all of Henry James twice. If you still persist in writing, "Good food at it's best", you deserve to be struck by lightning, hacked up on the spot and buried in an unmarked grave" (Truss, 2003, p.44).

Comment

hey blake.. yeah front slotted from DBA are around the $500 mark fitted. but the rears cost more than the front..

so if i added front and rears, I'd be staring about the $1000 mark. and I saw a thread with a wilwood kit on oni for around $12xx all up. was just wondering....

Comment

DBA 4000's get the thumbs up from me...

cheap and suits OEM pads perfectly.
            ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
              DBA 4000's get the thumbs up from me...

cheap and suits OEM pads perfectly.
              hey tinks... I got Project Mu pads. 0-400C ones.. Not sure if they were responsible for eating away at my rotors. My pads have hardly worn down though installed 30,000kms ago.

Comment

yeap i had dba before as well....pretty cheap....but it started to have small cracks after a while

z10 says:
                z10 says:

Comment

Originally posted by Rixsy View Post
                  Boo to Zeal *thumbs down*
                  why's that????

z10 says:
                  z10 says:

Comment

might bring this thread back from the dead...

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ghlight=rotors
                    Last edited by cldc2; 26-09-06, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cldc2 View Post
                      hey blake.. yeah front slotted from DBA are around the $500 mark fitted. but the rears cost more than the front..

so if i added front and rears, I'd be staring about the $1000 mark. and I saw a thread with a wilwood kit on oni for around $12xx all up. was just wondering....
                      Interesting, I wasn't aware of that the rears are more expensive than front. Call around mate. You should be able to get them for around $450.

As with what tinkerbell said, a lot of people have used the DBA and are really happy with them. These guys use them on track aswel, so they are giving you a fair idea. Most see them as a good bang for buck performance rotor.

For $1200 I would suspect that kit only includes components for the front, though I could be wrong. Remember there is additional work and cost associated with having a brake kit fitted. Also think about how much it's necessary for your application. Most guys run comfortably on track without it.

=)
                      Last edited by BF; 26-09-06, 11:24 PM.
                      "No Matter that you have a PhD and have read all of Henry James twice. If you still persist in writing, "Good food at it's best", you deserve to be struck by lightning, hacked up on the spot and buried in an unmarked grave" (Truss, 2003, p.44).

Comment

not only is it cheap/or better priced. Its also an Australian company which means stock is easier to acquire

Comment

^not really...i remember trying to find dba rotors for dc5 adn they all say nope...we dont have it in stock LOL

z10 says:
                          z10 says:

Comment

Originally posted by BIZ22Y View Post
                            For $1200 I would suspect that kit only includes components for the front, though I could be wrong. Remember there is additional work and cost associated with having a break kit fitted. Also think about how much it's necessary for your application. Most guys run comfortably on track without it.

=)
                            yeaps that's just the fronts. Additional costs I would think are just bigger rims to suit the application. as the stock 15" barely clear the caliper.

Also DBA produces the Slotted, 4000 series and 5000 series. Tink swears by the 4000, the price i got quoted for are the standard slotted ones...

Comment

make sure you dont get the drilled rotors or you will be greeted with some cracks after some track work.

Comment

Working...
                              X