DIY: FN2 Rear Parking Sensor Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: FN2 Rear Parking Sensor Install

Well, after months of putting up with the ridiculous rear view in the FN2, I’ve decided to install ultrasonic parking sensors.

You will need:
    - Parking sensor kit
    - Screwdrivers (flat + phillips heads)
    - 10mm socket
    - 14mm socket
    - trim removal tools (not essential, but does make it easier)
    Start by removing the four blanking covers around the boot that cover 10mm bolts. Then remove these bolts.

Remove the four push/retainer clips from under the rear bumper. Remove the ones on either end of the bumper, and the two closes to the middle. The two clips directly under each exhaust tip is there to hold the exhaust trim in place. You do not need to remove those clips to take off the bumper.

Remove the screw on the fender trim. It’s a tight fit so be careful not to strip the head. Use a #1 phillips screwdriver. Once the screw is out, you can pull away the fender trim from the body.
    Start at the bottom and work your way up. You will need to use a bit of force, but slide your hand up the trim once a clip has come out. Do not just yank on the trim from the bottom or you will break these clips. Pull the trim off until you can see the edge of the rear bumper. Put a cloth or something in the gap to stop it from closing in.

You will then need to remove one Phillips head screw and one clip from each side that lie under the fender trim.

T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Pull outwards where the screw was to release the sides of the rear bumper from the body. Once both sides are out, go to the rear of the car and simply pull the bumper towards yourself. Don’t drop it lol

On the inside of the bumper, you will see markings that show where you need to drill.

Drill small pilot holes in the middle of the four markings across the rear bumper.

Apply masking tape to the outside of the rear bumper where the pilot holes are.

Drill holes with the recommended holesaw. Keep steady. Do not pull the holesaw back through the hole. Loosen the chuck and pull the bit out the other side of the hole. Clean out the plastic and do the same for the other 3 holes. I sanded the drilled area with 1600grit sandpaper to get rid of any gunk that was around the hole to ensure a flush fit/finish. If you do this, pay attention lol. I slipped and sanded a bit of the bumper around the hole. Luckily I was able to cut and polish it back so you can’t see the scuff anymore. Thanks, poorboys.

Install the sensors on the rear bumper, ensuring that you place the numbered sensors in the positions specified by the sensor kit manufacturer.

Before you can remount the rear bumper, you’ll need to remove some trim from the inside of the boot to access the grommet that will be used to pass the wire through to the cabin. Start by taking out your parcel shelf. Lift the carpet behind the rear seats that hide the bolts used for the spare wheel area lid and undo the two 10mm bolts.
    T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

Take the spare wheel out, and undo the two 10mm bolts that are still holding the spare wheel lid in place. To get the covers off, pry it out with a small flat head screwdriver/trim removal tool from the TOP.

Here’s the trim that had to come out.

Give the boot wall on the drivers side a good pull and it should undo the clips. Make sure that all the clips have actually come out and are still on the trim panel.

You will need to remove the seatbelt using a 14mm socket.

Pull on the trim (hard) to remove it. I couldn’t dislodge it from the B pillar, so I left it hanging there. KEEP AN EYE ON THE AIRBAGS. DO NOT PULL THE YELLOW CONNECTORS, OR THE YELLOW WIRE LOOMS. Better yet, disconnect the battery first. Clean your hands before you get to this step too. I’ve got crap stains on my roof lining

This is the connector you will need to tap into.

We’re going for the BROWN wire. Splice into it and connect the positive wire for the kit’s power supply. There is a stock grounding point that you will see as well that you can use to ground the kit. I forgot to take a photo of it, but you can’t miss it.
      T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

Connect all the sensors to the control unit. I put the control unit in the open area next to the wheel well.

Before you put everything back together, you will need to mount the buzzer/display. How you do this will depend on where you decide to put the display/buzzer, but I mounted mine on the roof above the mirror and ran the cable along the roof to the back.

Once it’s all connected, turn it on to make sure that everything works. Reinstall trim and rear bumper and reverse with (some) peace of mind. Took me about 2 hours to do. a lot of it was spent trying to pull the C pillar trim whilst trying not to do any damage to the airbags below it

The finished result.

Display unit.
        T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

fantastic result mate.

Comment

that's simply awsome!

Comment

Fuggin lot of work there,, great write up review, for those that have FN2's...

Quote:
              Originally Posted by justinfox
              You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

did you installed because you can't really see back in that version of Jazz ay???
                Nankangs, Better than Your-Mums-Cans

* Please note, I hate Nankangs.

Comment

Originally posted by EL_DC5 View Post
                  did you installed because you can't really see back in that version of Jazz ay???
                  yes, the rear vision in 'this version of the jazz' is absolutely dismal thanks to the placement of the rear spoiler.
                  T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

I was kidding by BTW. Nice work
                    Takes time and extra effort to Do what you have done to share
                    Nankangs, Better than Your-Mums-Cans

* Please note, I hate Nankangs.

Comment

Working...
                    X