Please help, advice on mugen n1 ECU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help, advice on mugen n1 ECU

I recently bought this ECU but now i noticed that the car is blowing black smoke from the exhaust. They say that it is this ECU that is too rich in fuel and that isn´t really good. I do feel that the car rev up faster but maybe if i get a hondata and tune it for the parts i have, i may get better results.. all i have is Intake + Headers + exhaust.
    What do you suggest? should i sell the mugen and get a hondata or stick with the mugen?
    What other mods should i do on the engine to get the best out of the mugen ecu? what are the mugen ECU´s recomendations?

All advice is greatly appreciated

I dont think its the ECU - It could be many other things.

How it was tuned. The age of the engine - how many Km's on the engine?
    "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

http://thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com/

Comment

There is 2 ecu's from Mugen.

street one that revs to 8900 and the N1 that goes to 9100 rpm off memory.

Mugen ECU's are ideally mapped for Mugen combined parts and are known to run rich and have the fuel pump constantly at max.

You cannot tune these, if you have different mods I would highly recommend a tuneable Hondata over these, preferably Kpro if you can stretch your budget.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
      Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

Originally posted by Chi View Post

You cannot tune these, if you have different mods I would highly recommend a tuneable Hondata over these, preferably Kpro if you can stretch your budget.
        x2. As much as it hurts to agree with Chi these N1 ECUs are made for an N1 spec DC5R. If you don't have the Mugen I/H/E and JDM K20 for that matter, you're not egetting the full benefits of an aftermarket ECU of this nature. Let's not forget that N1 is also hardly for road use. You'd expect the engine to run rish anyway.

Go KPro I say. That way it can be tuned for your car as no two engines are exactly the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Chi View Post
          There is 2 ecu's from Mugen.

street one that revs to 8900 and the N1 that goes to 9100 rpm off memory.

Mugen ECU's are ideally mapped for Mugen combined parts and are known to run rich and have the fuel pump constantly at max.

yeah...Chi is right....they have both street and N1 and they both run pretty rich...When I run my N1 ECU with Mugen N1 exhaust I blow some black smoke too and thats because its running rich......if you have basic I/H/E then the mugen can cope with it but if you after some real good dyno figures then go Hondata.....Althought ppl keep telling me mugen is not as good but my time prove that my mugen parts make me the fastest for the moment......But dun take my words too serious .......you are getting advice from the Mugen Whore.....
          Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
          1)ブレーキを踏む
          2)クラッチを切る
          3)シフトダウンしなから、
            アクセルをぶかす
          4)クラッチをつなぐ
          :blah:
          インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
          人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

Originally posted by l3vnd1 View Post
            I dont think its the ECU - It could be many other things.

How it was tuned. The age of the engine - how many Km's on the engine?
            correct in almost any other case you'd expect an ecu to be the least of the problem, assuming it was dyno tuned...

in this case, the ECU is a specific unit designed for a specific engine combination, making it difficult to adapt if you dont copy the exact formula used on the ECU development cars...
            ... retired/

Comment

u have dc5r im assuming..
              i have a mugen n1 ecu in my dc2r and not experiencing any black smoke issues..
              fuel consumption is about 1L/100km worse than the stock ecu, lower vtec changeover and 9100rpm redline and the a/c doesnt work. i dont know about them 'running rich', if u check out the dyno of mine vs stock (in particular the a:f ratio) i would say it maintains a steady ratio rather than getting richer like the stock ecu does..
              "What's the point of racing a car that doesn't look cool?" - Nakai-san, RWB

Comment

Originally posted by szymonsta View Post
                u have dc5r im assuming..
                i have a mugen n1 ecu in my dc2r and not experiencing any black smoke issues..
                fuel consumption is about 1L/100km worse than the stock ecu, lower vtec changeover and 9100rpm redline and the a/c doesnt work. i dont know about them 'running rich', if u check out the dyno of mine vs stock (in particular the a:f ratio) i would say it maintains a steady ratio rather than getting richer like the stock ecu does..
                The turning for DC5R is a bit different to DC2R......even the N1 ECU support AC......and run a bit richer then normal....but not by that much ......my stock ecu can get about 550 a tank and N1 get me about 400 per tank only.....
                Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                1)ブレーキを踏む
                2)クラッチを切る
                3)シフトダウンしなから、
                  アクセルをぶかす
                4)クラッチをつなぐ
                人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

Originally posted by air23box View Post
                  The turning for DC5R is a bit different to DC2R......even the N1 ECU support AC......and run a bit richer then normal....but not by that much ......my stock ecu can get about 550 a tank and N1 get me about 400 per tank only.....
                  only 400? hahah is it cos u push it to the max all the time? i have my n1 ecu for about 3weeks now. It's GREAT the gain in mid range is awwesome i'm getting about 450-500km on 1 tank, depending on the way i drive.
                  '03 Integra DC5 Type R
                  Naturally Aspirated, K20A i-Vtec

Wakefield Park: 1:13.047 w/ street tyres
                  Eastern Creek Int'l Raceway: 1:57.969 w/ street tyres
                  Power: 155Kw with Mugen N1 ECU

Comment

Originally posted by Tiu View Post
                    only 400? hahah is it cos u push it to the max all the time? i have my n1 ecu for about 3weeks now. It's GREAT the gain in mid range is awwesome i'm getting about 450-500km on 1 tank, depending on the way i drive.
                    kekeke......Leon....I take it quiet easy bro......but when I run the N1 I also run with N1 exhaust.....thats why.....catless did make some difference bro....
                    Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                    1)ブレーキを踏む
                    2)クラッチを切る
                    3)シフトダウンしなから、
                      アクセルをぶかす
                    4)クラッチをつなぐ

Comment

Originally posted by air23box View Post
                      kekeke......Leon....I take it quiet easy bro......but when I run the N1 I also run with N1 exhaust.....thats why.....catless did make some difference bro....
                      oo i see.. ya now with n1, the car does run bit richy, u can see from the black stuff gathered on the rear of the car. But it isn't too bad, would it keep after i get a header for the car? o btw. no black smoke.
                      '03 Integra DC5 Type R
                      Naturally Aspirated, K20A i-Vtec

Wakefield Park: 1:13.047 w/ street tyres
                      Eastern Creek Int'l Raceway: 1:57.969 w/ street tyres
                      Power: 155Kw with Mugen N1 ECU

Comment

Originally posted by Tiu View Post
                        oo i see.. ya now with n1, the car does run bit richy, u can see from the black stuff gathered on the rear of the car. But it isn't too bad, would it keep after i get a header for the car? o btw. no black smoke.
                        The N1 ECU is tuned to be used with Mugen intake, headers and exhaust. That is the optimal setup. You're always gonna get gains with mods like headers but best results would come from Mugen parts. You're still gonna get that black smoke as the Mugen ECU is a rich tune.

That's why KPro is such a great option. It can be tuned for any setup, street or track.
                        Last edited by m0nty; 17-08-08, 07:43 PM.

Comment

So Mugen is already programed - ie: you cant change it?

And Hondata, Apexi PowerFC, VAFC, KPRO are all programable?

Comment

Originally posted by l3vnd1 View Post
                            So Mugen is already programed - ie: you cant change it?

And Hondata, Apexi PowerFC, VAFC, KPRO are all programable?
                            KPro is Hondata. PowerFC is not K20 compatible. All the ECUs you mentioned are tunable though.

Comment

Originally posted by m0nty View Post
                              KPro is Hondata. PowerFC is not K20 compatible. All the ECUs you mentioned are tunable though.
                              I see. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X