reverse gear crunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reverse gear crunch

Alrite guys, this just happened recently.

Every time i reverse my car from my garage to go out, my reverse gear crunches, has anyone experience this before? mainly happens when the engine is cold i.e warm up my car for a few minutes then drive the car out.

After a few attempts it finally goes into gear, btw its a dc2r

Have not changed clutch, so can't be installation problem, MTF was change during major service 5000 km ago

So what could be the problem?

Any help will be great

I too crunch reverse easily. Have to be very careful. Doesnt go in fully sometimes. Sometimes only half.

Had my MTF topped up when I changed my clutch. But was done by a cheapo mechanic. So not sure if was good fluid.

Should I change my fluids next service with honda MTF?
    "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

http://thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com/

Comment

Maybe try going from 3rd to 4th gear - then try and put it in.

Comment

ye.. my g/box is completely farked now :P

reverse doesnt like being selected (go to 4th then Reverse) and my car crunches when going to first sometimes

time for a oil change and if that doesnt fix it.. rebuild the box
        RWD + Boost =

Comment

Originally posted by Elwood View Post
          Maybe try going from 3rd to 4th gear - then try and put it in.
          Before i just go on reverse and it never crunches.

Could it be a gearbox problem? rebuild?

Comment

so a fully new issue? maybe it is due to colder weather?

is it only in your driveway or all the time?
            ... retired/

Comment

hey tinkss what gearbox oil are you using in ur DC2 for track ?

i dont think MTF is the best choice.. what do you suggest, i might send a e-mail to some guys racing are cars in improved production and see what they are using...
              RWD + Boost =

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                so a fully new issue? maybe it is due to colder weather?

is it only in your driveway or all the time?
                yea fully new issue, only happens in my driveway.

What could be the problem? like you said cold weather?

Comment

Originally posted by l3vnd1 View Post
                  I too crunch reverse easily. Have to be very careful. Doesnt go in fully sometimes. Sometimes only half.
                  same here. but then i dont change the oil very frequently ie around every 10K Kms. using ES bush as well, some times it just stuck half way, need to "push" back to neutral as well (reverse gear only)

Comment

Sounds like the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Clutch fluid reservoir filled up?

Reverse has no synchro so it will grind when you put it into that gear if the input shaft hasn't fully stopped spinning...
                    | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

i think this is a normal issue. as long as you replace your gearbox fluid regularly (i use Honda oils) and check your clutch fluid reservoir.
                      when the gearbox+gearfluid is cold, i have problems engaging reverse and sometimes in the first minute or so of driving the gears arent smooth to engage (can crunch if youre not carefull). within a minute or two everything is fine and the gears operate wonderfully.this has been the case since i have had the car (over 3 years). i asked my mechanic about it a while ago and he said all is normal. you have to remember that this gearbox is designed to cope with hard driving and therefore is not in its element when cold and driving around the city.

if it wont engage reverse, try to put it back in neutral, slowly go thru the gears (or at least into 1st) with the clutch depressed, then try again. also sometimes if you increase the revs by 100rpm or so it will engage.
                      "What's the point of racing a car that doesn't look cool?" - Nakai-san, RWB

Comment

Originally posted by SHIFTY View Post
                        hey tinkss what gearbox oil are you using in ur DC2 for track ?

i dont think MTF is the best choice.. what do you suggest, i might send a e-mail to some guys racing are cars in improved production and see what they are using...
                        i'm just using redline lightweight shock proof, have been for over two years, it can cope with the massive heat created in your gearbox during racing... MTF doesnt handle it...
                        ... retired/

Comment

When cold sometimes mine is a li hard to get into reverse, All I have to do though is pu it in first gear and let the car roll forward a tiny bit, then it slips into reverse fine.

Try that. Also when my g/b is cold, its a lil tricky shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, but once its warmed up everything is ok, I think every gear box has its little quirks, its just upto you, the owner to find them out.

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by justinfox
                          You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                            i'm just using redline lightweight shock proof, have been for over two years, it can cope with the massive heat created in your gearbox during racing... MTF doesnt handle it...
                            tellwheretopurchaseorban!

Comment

Originally posted by Elwood View Post
                              tellwheretopurchaseorban!
                              www.mostgoodaftermarketpartsstoresintheusa.com

around $8 per litre is what to aim for...
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X