Prototype chassis bracing for DC5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by m0nty View Post
    I call upon the ban hammer if they turn out to be CE28s. It's a big call to say no one else has done it unless you've checked every car in the world.

I got a company to cad design the hubs, brakes and wheels... Then sent the designs to be made...

LOL thats how I know.

I have someone starting the CAD design of the front brace in a week or two. Until then, let me know if there is interest in the JUN under-brace etc, becaust I'll be getting that made up first.

Comment

You might as well get them to CAD design a whole new car and get it made in Aluminium for better rgidity and weight.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
      Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

Originally posted by JDM_DC5R View Post
        I got a company to cad design the hubs, brakes and wheels... Then sent the designs to be made...

LOL thats how I know.

I have someone starting the CAD design of the front brace in a week or two. Until then, let me know if there is interest in the JUN under-brace etc, becaust I'll be getting that made up first.
        This might be a stupid question but that JUN under brace fits right under where the stock fuel tank is. They obviously use a fuel cell, I assume you are making this brace so that it will clear the fuel tank?

Also what compelled you to get custom hubs made? What was wrong with the stock ones? Did you also have custom billet wheels made or something?

Comment

can some people from mech eng background do a quick CAE analysis, lol. JDM_DC5R, what cad software do u use? May be we can take a look of the design together

Comment

I dont use the CAD myself, I had an engineering firm do the hubs etc.

For the braces, my cousin is a CAD designer. I will measure everything up, then get him to put it into CAD format ready for machining.

The JUN under brace will be made to clear the stock fuel tank. I think it will make a very big difference, similar to the large difference the 6 point front under brace made.

I found that the steering and turn in were greatly improved.

For anyone still wondering if a stiffer chassis is worth it, just take off your front strut brace and go for a spirited drive to see the difference it makes.

Comment

Originally posted by JDM_DC5R View Post
              I dont use the CAD myself, I had an engineering firm do the hubs etc.

For anyone still wondering if a stiffer chassis is worth it, just take off your front strut brace and go for a spirited drive to see the difference it makes.
              I am still wondering what was wrong with the stock hubs? it is just a bit of metal with a spline and 5 holes, so where was the improvement to be had?

Also wouldn't it be better to go to the track and run with and without the brace and see which is faster? Empirical data is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                I am still wondering what was wrong with the stock hubs? it is just a bit of metal with a spline and 5 holes, so where was the improvement to be had?
                If you can get anything in the driveline lighter for the same strength then it has a knock on affect for acceleration, etc. See Carroll Smith's books on this. Why people go for carbon fibre prop shafts, etc if they can.

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                Also wouldn't it be better to go to the track and run with and without the brace and see which is faster? Empirical data is your friend.
                I was trying to think of a way that would measure torsional rigidity without actually bending a shell or getting metal to distort and couldn't think of anything. Anyone got any ideas?

If it was me I'd be talking to some of the guys that work (or lecturers who help) on the University single seater race series (RMIT?). They should know the strength vs weight for tubing, bracing, etc from doing the hard yards and be really, really anal about weight (and scorn bling). Near the end they should be experienced with solid works and can either help or point you in the right direction.
                Honda DC2R Integra

If I change the nut behind the wheel then my sloppy lines improve and I can get some consistency to sort out my iffy handling, my worrying lack of braking ability goes away, after that I can start fretting about my suspicious lack of straight line grunt.

Comment

I got a CAD designer to design my car braces too...it was hectic...I got the braces all made in heart shapes...

Comment

Originally posted by m0nty View Post
                    And by the time you've done all this you have added 25-30kgs to the car and it still can't compete in Australian rally or circuit racing. Why not just build a cage and be done with it?
                    Quoted for TRUTH!

/thread
                    | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Originally posted by hebe View Post
                      I got a CAD designer to design my car braces too...it was hectic...I got the braces all made in heart shapes...

your such a romantic
                      /Oo ___H___ oO\
                      |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

Originally posted by kavehman View Post
                        your such a romantic
                        I know! I love my car so much...I had to express my love to it via some heart shape CAD designed braces!!

Comment

[QUOTE=ChargeR;91675]I am still wondering what was wrong with the stock hubs? it is just a bit of metal with a spline and 5 holes, so where was the improvement to be had?

I cant say. But all I can say is that if you think about what you said above, you'll work it out.

And +1 for what TAFKA said.
                          Last edited by JDM_DC5R; 15-04-08, 01:08 AM.

Comment

JDM_DC5R:

you finished making these prototype bracing yet? any photos to show?
                            '03 Integra DC5 Type R
                            Naturally Aspirated, K20A i-Vtec

Wakefield Park: 1:13.047 w/ street tyres
                            Eastern Creek Int'l Raceway: 1:57.969 w/ street tyres
                            Power: 155Kw with Mugen N1 ECU

Comment

Working...
                            X