Prototype chassis bracing for DC5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prototype chassis bracing for DC5

Ok guys, I have found one of the best metal fabricators in the biz.

The level of his work is like art.

I am going to have some prototype braces made up, since the braces available for our cars is inadequate.

So I'm putting it up to you guys to be part of the development so that, short of a roll cage, we can be the first to have the perfect braces fitted to our cars.

For those farmiliar with the JUN DC5 build shown on BMI Club VTEC, the rear under brace was amazing and nothing close to it is made for the public.

This will be copied, as I trust JUN's R&D.

Above inside the car, the rear suspension brace will be straight between each strut top, then form a cross as it rises to the mid-brace level, then maybe even another cross as it rises to the c-pillar level. Along with this, the rear strut brace could form a cross across the boot floor, giving the boot floor more strength.

At the front a very ridgid 3 point design between the two strut tops and the firewall, forming a triangle shape, with a master cylinder brace. It will also be made to clear Gruppe M intakes.

To go even more over the top, the 3 point front bar may even have webbing making it a truss design.

What do you guys think?

The prototypes will be made of stainless steel, but the production pieces could be made in aluminium, or titanium if anyone is able to source the raw material, made to order in the same design.

For an idea, they will be around $250 each if there are enough orders once the prototype is made.

But please comment on any design ideas and improvements.

Also let me know if you guys are really interested.
    Last edited by JDM_DC5R; 03-04-08, 09:59 PM.

Sounds like a good price, but if you have been on this forum long enough you will notice that everyone is a JDM brand whore.

So to go ahead and custom make something may not interested ppl too much imho.

Titanium welding is very tricky and i would be skeptical of who you get it done with.

And considering yourself ot be a new comer that is also another skeptical thing as not many ppl will be safe trusting money to someone who barely joined the forums.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

What is stopping people from buying brands like 5Zigen and Carbing for just $50 more? They are trusted brands and offer these designs already. I don't wanna rain on your parade, but these "prototype" designs you speak of are commercially available already.

And Chi is right. We're all JDM whores. You at least need a slogan like "Ours Motorsporting You Will Enjoy Better!"

Comment

No one makes the 4 point rear under brace, only a 2 point which is useless really. (even though I have a Carbing one)

I already have the 6 point under brace for the front by Carbing, and they make chassis rail braces too.

No one makes an X brace for the rear, except some stupidly priced one I saw on an American website.

For the front, the only 3 point front brace that was ridgid (not pin jointed) was a crabing one, which I could only find for LHD, which had a master cylinder brace.

For the titanium welding, he has someone working for him that used to weld the titanium on ETSA sub stations. They have much higher standards than ti exhaust makers, Any blue on the weld was a fail for them.

But if you guys post the pictures of braces I talked about which are the same or better, then there is no need for me to spend the money getting these made.

P.S. I know that I'm just a new member, so the deals could be made directly with him, AM Performance, wh is highly regarded on Skylines Australia, so you can check his work and reputation on that forum.

Comment

Chi will post pics. He has a couple of external HDDs full of them. One for pr0n, the other for for sex videos.

Comment

Has this group buy been approved by the mods?
            happyhong says:
            aus only have 3 r
            happyhong says:
            civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

No group buy yet, the design hasnt even been finished yet. Thats why Im posting on here to get any improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by JDM_DC5R View Post
                No one makes the 4 point rear under brace, only a 2 point which is useless really. (even though I have a Carbing one)

For the front, the only 3 point front brace that was ridgid (not pin jointed) was a crabing one, which I could only find for LHD, which had a master cylinder brace.

RIGID for RHD

CARBING for RHD

CUSCO Titanium

Some Random brands in the USA

Last edited by Chi; 03-04-08, 11:05 PM.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
                Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

do you have a photo of the JUN's dc5r brace u talking about?
                  '03 Integra DC5 Type R
                  Naturally Aspirated, K20A i-Vtec

Wakefield Park: 1:13.047 w/ street tyres
                  Eastern Creek Int'l Raceway: 1:57.969 w/ street tyres
                  Power: 155Kw with Mugen N1 ECU

Comment

SWEET!!! Thanks!

What is the one in the Import Tuner pic, it looks nuts!

And the SSR rear brace I saw over a year ago, but i didnt know the brand and thought that they only made a few and then discontinued and people were posting that they couldnt find them.

Ok, looks like some more parts to go onto my build list, but still need to find rear X braces.

And will the cusco ti clear the gruppe M?

Comment

SWEET!!! Thanks!

What is the one in the Import Tuner pic, it looks nuts!

And the SSR rear brace I saw over a year ago, but i didnt know the brand and thought that they only made a few and then discontinued and people were posting that they couldnt find them.

Ok, looks like some more parts to go onto my build list, but still need to find rear X braces.

And will the cusco ti clear the gruppe M?

There is not 4 point bar that i know of that will clear the gruppeM, its too tight fitted to do so.

Originally posted by Tiu View Post
                      do you have a photo of the JUN's dc5r brace u talking about?
                      Cannot buy these, and Jun is welded in permanently

Comment

Can someone upload the pic of the JUN under brace, its too late at night for me to... Im too comfortable watching Married... With Children LOL

But it is worth showing the JUN brace, the SSR one is good but the JUN one takes the cake... and its JDM lol

Comment

Nope the Jun one is bolted... grrr, I guess Im going to have to upload it now...

double grrr....

Comment

lol so no more prototype for jdmdc5r? show us a photo of your dc5r so far, seems quite hectic since it's for racing + street
                            '03 Integra DC5 Type R
                            Naturally Aspirated, K20A i-Vtec

Wakefield Park: 1:13.047 w/ street tyres
                            Eastern Creek Int'l Raceway: 1:57.969 w/ street tyres
                            Power: 155Kw with Mugen N1 ECU

Comment

I am interested in the front strut that will clear a Gruppe M yet still join to the stock firewall mounts. It would be very hard to clear the Gruppe M and still join with the existing firewall mounts in a dc5 since the stock brace is very close to the Gruppe M already. I am not trying to be discouraging only trying to help .

At the moment I use the stock front strut brace and the Mugen piece joining the strut tops. A brace that joins these 4 points made of titanium would be good in my opinion.

I can appreciate that you are trying to further DC5 tuning, however what is it in particular that leads you to believe that these structural braces are necessary or even beneficial? I use very high spring and damper rates in my DC5 and I am still unsure whether additional chassis stiffness in the form of 'bars' would benefit. Where are you located? I would love to discuss this further so send me a PM or add me on MSN and we will have a chat .
                              Last edited by ChargeR; 03-04-08, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X