short vs long oil filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

short vs long oil filter

I know the short type oil filter increases oil pressure but what is the benefit oof high oil pressure. i have dc5s with a k20z. Also with oil, i looked at the manual and the best one for aussie temps is 15w 40, but ive seen others on the forums using 15w 50 and they its better but this one is not even on the manual.
    Prash Imaging (Facebook) - Please like!
    Flickr
    my car blog - Have a read
    my 2nd car blog - Have a read too

More oil pressure = more oil = More lubrication = less piston friction = more response and power.

15W- 50 opposed to 15W-40 means that the oil can withstand higher temps before it starts to break down.

Originally posted by ChargeR
    Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by crashprash View Post
      I know the short type oil filter increases oil pressure but what is the benefit oof high oil pressure. i have dc5s with a k20z. Also with oil, i looked at the manual and the best one for aussie temps is 15w 40, but ive seen others on the forums using 15w 50 and they its better but this one is not even on the manual.
      i thought the thin long one increased oil pressure?

can you clarify what you are talking about?
      ... retired/

Comment

It think its more the lower the 'volume' of the filter, so it could be short or long a thin.

I have heard the spoon guy (forgot his name?) saying to use a shorter oil filter.
        Deano.

Comment

To answer the original poster, I would stick to the recommended grade from honda for your usage and temperatures. Eg. I use 10-30 in the winter and 10-40 in the summer living in Melbourne and Tas.

I have no experience with using a different filter to the stock honda ones you get frmo any dealer. They have not failed me for many kms and quite a few track days .

Originally posted by VTECMACHINE View Post
          More oil pressure = more oil = More lubrication = less piston friction = more response and power.

15W- 50 opposed to 15W-40 means that the oil can withstand higher temps before it starts to break down.
          Both of these statements are possibly untrue . Blanket statements about oil pressure like that are scary, it would be more correct to say that more pressure at the pressure sensor after the oil filter suggests that there has been less pressure drop over the filter media which means more flow, which is good but not at the expense of filtration.

The temperature at which an oil breaks down is more a factor of the chemistry of the oil than its designed viscosity. Eg. a 10-30 synthetic oil could take a higher temperature before the viscosity begins to decrease considerably from its designed SAE 30 viscosity whereas a mineral 20-50 could get to 100 degrees and thin out considerably or evaporate a significant amount.

The only thing you can definitely say about a 15-50 over a 15-40 is that it will probably be thicker at 100 degrees resulting in more pressure and less flow at this temperature, although the ranges of allowable viscosity for oils are quite large so it is easy for a thick W40 oil to be similar to a thin W50.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
            I have no experience with using a different filter to the stock honda ones you get frmo any dealer.
            there were two types - B series and K series,

full details are actually here:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...highlight=z79a
            ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
              Both of these statements are possibly untrue . Blanket statements about oil pressure like that are scary, it would be more correct to say that more pressure at the pressure sensor after the oil filter suggests that there has been less pressure drop over the filter media which means more flow, which is good but not at the expense of filtration.

The temperature at which an oil breaks down is more a factor of the chemistry of the oil than its designed viscosity. Eg. a 10-30 synthetic oil could take a higher temperature before the viscosity begins to decrease considerably from its designed SAE 30 viscosity whereas a mineral 20-50 could get to 100 degrees and thin out considerably or evaporate a significant amount.

The only thing you can definitely say about a 15-50 over a 15-40 is that it will probably be thicker at 100 degrees resulting in more pressure and less flow at this temperature, although the ranges of allowable viscosity for oils are quite large so it is easy for a thick W40 oil to be similar to a thin W50.
              all excellent and accurate comments - thanks for taking the time to explain
              ... retired/

Comment

after fitting a oil sandwich plate for sensors should i change to a short type filter for more pressure or stick to the standard one?
                Prash Imaging (Facebook) - Please like!
                Flickr
                my car blog - Have a read
                my 2nd car blog - Have a read too

Comment

unless you are sure the short type filter has less pressure loss (instead of saying giving more pressure), why not?

but fitting an oil sandwich plate for sensors would not result in huge or significant pressure loss anyway...

Comment

Ben @ touge tune advised me to run a thinner oil.

I am currently running Castrol edge 5w - 30w for winter and is proving fine.

he says a thinner oil is part of Honda's LEV technology and thicker ones clog the solenoids up.
                    "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

http://thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think Adrian @ Toda posted a while back about how thinner, higher quality oils can increase power output but only by 5% at maximum (from memory, i could be wrong).
                      in regards to the OP, i would take what chargr says on board as he seems like he knows what he's on about
                      sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

Originally posted by crashprash View Post
                        after fitting a oil sandwich plate for sensors should i change to a short type filter for more pressure or stick to the standard one?
                        I would stick with a known quantity, the filters you have been using before. I think the pressure loss over a sandwich plate would be nearly neglible if it is well designed.

Listen to Didz he also sometimes knows what he is on about .

Comment

Working...
                        X