No announcement yet.

injen cai vs mugen airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they would most likely use itbs. interesting discussion. thinking back now i really dont see any na cars use aem injen style intakes.

Even the unrestricted classes *or close to unrestricted* of tsukuba challange. Take for instance c-west s2k. The custom fabricated an airbox for that car, the asm used mugen intake and ITB's but i have never seen a pipe coming out of the intake manifold straight to a pod style filter.

maybe just not the japs way of doing stuff

Comment

C-West AP1 = Designed and build around the channel airflow for the angle radiator. No prizes there on guessing, this setup is impossible for something not modified in the exact manner.

ASM AP1 = Many versions have evolved, the Mugen intake has to be one of the first version variants. The latest one is on the prowl with lap records, a full blueprinted Toda displacement block (not displacement kit) and ITBs.

The AEM/Injen style intakes would be more popularly seen on forced induction applications. Though not the exact same brand, but the theory of the pipe design method is evidently not un-used. As you probably know, force induction doesn't need to benefit on low to mid powerband as compared to naturally aspirated cars. Hence, pipe type intakes have their benefits in aiding high end turbine spool.

Comment

very interesting thread,always enjoyed reading intake threads,so many points were brought up and now im even more confused on which brand i wanna buy although i understand their pros and cons

Comment

Originally posted by shah View Post
          very interesting thread,always enjoyed reading intake threads,so many points were brought up and now im even more confused on which brand i wanna buy although i understand their pros and cons
          im in the same boat too, i was planning on getting an injen but not so sure now

Comment

i just got myself a mugen intake...and i must say...very very impressive... (butt dyno) i feel the gain and torque... unlike the stock airbox n the j's racing... its just as responsive as the j's IMHO...but mpre torque n gain? i would give it a thumbs up
            http://kingtan.com.au

Comment

I used HKS CAI and using GruppeM intake now. Both built up with top quality. But i would like to vote GruppyM.
              Last edited by Edw-R; 06-09-06, 11:36 AM.

Comment

gruppeM for the dc2r n dc5r are diff... dc5r seems to be much much better...
                http://kingtan.com.au

Comment

But it's the other way around with Mugen. dc2r Mugen is fantastic.
                  01 JDM CW DC5R - C pack - 17" RAYS CE28N Bronze - Potenza RE001 - BuddyClub N+ - Mugen Airbox/Header/Twinloop/Strut bar/Therostat/Fan SW/GT Wing - Hondata IMG/K Pro - Bride Seat Rails - Defi BF/Pod - C-West Lip Kit - Super pro castor bushings - Ingalls Camber arms

Comment

Likewise in general with other tuner/manufacturers. What works on 1 car doesn't work the same on another. Ala Tsuchinoko chambers are nothing but a more exponentially bigger SRI while the application on the AP1 is chalk and cheese.

Comment

For dc2r, Mugen and GruppeM both are GREAT !!

Comment

how much does a gruppeM retail for?
                        yeah now my decision is based on price of the two boxes gruppeM and mugen

Comment

from memory i paid mine for 1300....i think

z10 says:
                          i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
                          z10 says:
                          mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

i got my mugen airbox for about $800 and shipping was about $200 for it and a rear sway bar and front strut bar.

you can get an injen cai for about $400, shipped, from www.tozka.com
                            almost JDM spec, y0!

Comment

Originally posted by sangers View Post
                              the key point of discussion is the long pipe that a CAI's filter sits on. the filter of a mugen airbox is a third of that distance from the intake manifold. its the long straw effect. connect three straws together in a chain and try sipping a drink through them and see how much longer it takes to get water to your mouth with the same amount of breathe extended on one straw.

the argument that if air (in this anology, fluid) is already flowing through the straw is incorrect also. do the same experiment i just described with a little bit of fluid already in the long straw, then try to increase the amount drawn into it. it will be much easier to finish off a drink with a short straw than a long straw even if you're in the process of drinking it.
                              Sang this is completely incorrect! As i stated the is only one subtance being drawn through the "straw" or intake pipe. Air is always being sucked up the pipe while the engine is running it is just the volume changes with the amount of throttle. You can't compare it to drinking through a straw because that is a completely different situation. Liquid is much more dense and heavier than air and on top of that is you have to suck all of the air out of the straw first, so of course it is going to be harder to suck a liquid through 3 straws instead of one.

Go join 3 straws together and suck air though them and then compare it to sucking air through one straw, the difference is SFA.

As i previously stated there is a moment when you go from very little throttle to WOT that the responsiveness is lacking due the the massive change in volume of air moving through the pipe. Other than this the responsiveness is never an issue for me.

But hey what the f%#k would i know, apparently nothing...
                              NA is BEST

59.4 QR Spint - Qld's Quickest DC5R

Comment

hey this discussion is getting heated

Comment

Working...
                                X