Questions about Oil Cooler Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about Oil Cooler Kits

Im not too sure if these would be technical questions or not but I'll just keep it in here anyway... I conjured up as many questions as I could in regards to aftermarket oil cooler kits as I'm contemplating on getting one or not. I would like to know the following:

1. Advantages and Disadvantages of Oil Filter Relocating Kits Vs No Relocation Kits

2. In built Thermostat Oil Coolers better for what use? Street (low temp) or track (high temp)?

3. A 19 row cooler too many rows for someone who only goes to the track 5 times a year? Better off with a smaller 11 row?

4. Ideal Oil filter positions in the engine bay to prevent air pockets in DC2R's

5. Ideal placement of oil coolers in DC2R's from past experiences.. Had a look and couldn't find a decent spot.. maybe I wasn't looking hard enough...

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO BOTHERS TO ANSWER MY QUESTIONS!
    Wakefield 1:14.5640 - DC2R

I'll be keen to find out answers to these questions too

Comment

I answered this question on OH.

1. Advantages and Disadvantages of Oil Filter Relocating Kits Vs No Relocation Kits

Easier access to the Filter, looks cool.
      Can't think of many disadvantages. More expensive, extra thing to mount.

2. In built Thermostat Oil Coolers better for what use? Street (low temp) or track (high temp)?

Thermostats are good for street use, where you want your temps to get to opperating temp as soon as possible. Thermostats do not affect temp stability that much once its at opperating temps.

3. A 19 row cooler too many rows for someone who only goes to the track 5 times a year? Better off with a smaller 11 row?

People will have different opinions on size, some say none at all. The larger the cooler the more it will drop your oil pressure (this can be addressed by adjusting the releif valve). I think the 11 row is fine.

4. Ideal Oil filter positions to prevent air pockets in filter in DC2R's

Some say mount it upside-down. I have had mine upright and no problems. You have 75-80psi flowing through the system, so I don't think air pockets will be in there for long.

5. Placement of oil coolers on DC2R's from past experience.. Had a look and can't find a decent spot.. maybe I wasn't looking hard enough...

I have a turbo setup, so mines a little different in arrangement. Some guys suggest putting it near the battery, which will be nice and neat. If you have an after market CAI you might have some room where the stock air box was.

Hope that helps
      Last edited by DLO01; 16-08-07, 12:11 PM.
      Deano.

Comment

some info here too:

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=13
        ... retired/

Comment

and here:

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=1107

and here:

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=282

please post back in this thread with any questions, (i.e. try not to post into the old threads)

i hope these help
          ... retired/

Comment

thanks DL001!

Tanks for clearing all my questions.. always better to learn from someone who has done it before rather than someone who has info just based on theory!

thanks a heap tink

really appreciate all the links.. Learnt alot from those threads..

just one more question...
            Does it matter where you place the oil press. sensor? As in after or before the cooler, after or before the relocator?

thanks once again

Comment

Originally posted by arron View Post
              just one more question...
              Does it matter where you place the oil press. sensor? As in after or before the cooler, after or before the relocator?
              I like to have it after the cooler, so you can see what pressure it is going 'in to the motor'.
              Deano.

Comment

the pressure will drop accross bothe the relocator adn teh core....

i measure mine at the relocator but before the core, this tells me what oil pressure the engine is creating, but not what oil pressure the engine is recieving...

but this is OK, as the pressure drop accropss the core is around 5-10psi at most, so i feel comfortable knowing what the engine is creating at the oil pump.

when racing i really only have time to make a quick glance at it, and usually only once oil temp gets up around 120ish as the pressure really starts to drop off alot once the oil gets too hot...

so maybe an oil pressure alarm is better... a 40psi one would be perfect for Honda B engines IMO...
                ... retired/

Comment

I have some further questions to ask.. but in regards to gauge installation..

1. Which part of the radiator hosing do you cut out for the water temp adaptor? The one on the bottom or the top?

2. Do you need to use some sort of sealant on the threads of the screws of the sensors in the Oil Sandwich Plate and Water Temp Adaptor? And if so, what type of sealant?

3. Where's an ideal place to tap 12V CONSTANT, 12V IGNITION, illumination and GROUND to? The fuse box under the steering column?

Comment

I have some further questions to ask.. but in regards to gauge installation..

1. Which part of the radiator hosing do you cut out for the water temp adaptor? The one on the bottom or the top?

2. Do you need to use some sort of sealant on the threads of the screws of the sensors in the Oil Sandwich Plate and Water Temp Adaptor? And if so, what type of sealant?

3. Where's an ideal place to tap 12V CONSTANT, 12V IGNITION, illumination and GROUND to? The fuse box under the steering column?
                    1. the top one

2. No necessery....but you can .......need to check with my mechanic

3. What are you going to tap it on for? you can do it there as I know...correct me if I am wrong....
                    Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                    1)ブレーキを踏む
                    2)クラッチを切る
                    3)シフトダウンしなから、
                      アクセルをぶかす
                    4)クラッチをつなぐ
                    :blah:
                    インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
                    人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

Everything else has been pretty much covered..

Just 1 thing in which no one really discussed is the size of the core.. and more importantly the thickness..

19 row is normally an overkill, but will depend on the size...

11-13 is ideal on trust like sizes.. HKS is normally thicker.

from memory (someone correct me if im wrong)
                      a 19 row HKS cooler is massive and is somthing u normamly use for GTR's.

Project: Machine myself a heavy gear knob

Comment

Working...
                      X