Best Oil for our beloved Hondas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cordz View Post
    I take it castrol sport edge is not a full synthetic?

Taken from thier website: http://www.castroledge.co.nz/product/product_5w30.php

"CASTROL EDGE SPORT 5W-30

Castrol EDGE Sport 5W-30 is the essence for virtually all that’s modern and technically advanced. Castrol EDGE Sport 5W-30 is an advanced full synthetic high performance motor oil recommended for highly tuned four cylinder engines and the latest technology vehicles requiring a low viscosity oil."

Although i read before in this thread that some oils are not true full synthetics
    Honestly I am not sure of the relative merits of each oil group, Red Line is an ester based Group V oil and from looking at others' oil analyses it seems to have good detergent properties without a lot of additives and also does not sheer down to a lower viscosity even under high temperature and load, both good things for track use. The only other Group V oil that is generally available that I know of is Motul 300V. The Edge could be a blend of anything but from what I have seen the cost of Edge varies greatly depending on which viscosity you buy, and I am guessing there is a correlation between price and Group IV and V oil content in the blend .

Originally posted by DakDak View Post
    I have a couple noob questions. Is a 0W30 oil better than a 5W30 oil? From what I've gathered the first digit represents viscosity so wouldnt a 0 be better than a 5 in terms of thicker oils producing drag? And when we are thrashing our cars [legally of course] is it better to have a e.g 0W40 or a 0W30? Should I have more thicker oil to protect my engine or engine or should it be less viscous allowing more movement.

I've been using Motul as of now should I go with Mobil 1?
    Both numbers represent the viscosity of the oil, the first being at low temperatures whereas the second number is indicative of the viscosity of the oil at 100°C. Both are important, and I would not stray away from the manufacturer's recommendation for your climate without good reason. Even driving spiritedly on the road the engine temperatures will be well within what the engineers at Honda designed the motor to experience and they picked the oil with that performance window in mind. Stray from their recommendations at your own risk.

If however you have a rebuilt engine or significant engine modifications such as forced induction then it is probably best to follow the recommendations of your engine builder or tuner. But if the car is stock and only driven on the road, pick a quality brand of oil in the recommended viscosity, change it often and then don't worry about it. How many Type Rs experience engine failure because of the slow decline of general engine wear anyway? If I had to guess I would say that most will suffer catastrophic failure for some other reason. And that is the way it is meant to be.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
      The Edge could be a blend of anything but from what I have seen the cost of Edge varies greatly depending on which viscosity you buy, and I am guessing there is a correlation between price and Group IV and V oil content in the blend .
      good information, the 5w-30 is actually more expensive than the 25w-50 and thicker blends so that is very indicative, I think i will have keep this oil for two track days, then do a flush. Are there any ways of telling when your oil has broken down and not fit to be in your engine anymore?
      Honda Nationals, September 9-10, get amongst it!

Comment

Honestly I am not sure of the relative merits of each oil group, Red Line is an ester based Group V oil and from looking at others' oil analyses it seems to have good detergent properties without a lot of additives and also does not sheer down to a lower viscosity even under high temperature and load, both good things for track use. The only other Group V oil that is generally available that I know of is Motul 300V. The Edge could be a blend of anything but from what I have seen the cost of Edge varies greatly depending on which viscosity you buy, and I am guessing there is a correlation between price and Group IV and V oil content in the blend .

Both numbers represent the viscosity of the oil, the first being at low temperatures whereas the second number is indicative of the viscosity of the oil at 100°C. Both are important, and I would not stray away from the manufacturer's recommendation for your climate without good reason. Even driving spiritedly on the road the engine temperatures will be well within what the engineers at Honda designed the motor to experience and they picked the oil with that performance window in mind. Stray from their recommendations at your own risk.

If however you have a rebuilt engine or significant engine modifications such as forced induction then it is probably best to follow the recommendations of your engine builder or tuner. But if the car is stock and only driven on the road, pick a quality brand of oil in the recommended viscosity, change it often and then don't worry about it. How many Type Rs experience engine failure because of the slow decline of general engine wear anyway? If I had to guess I would say that most will suffer catastrophic failure for some other reason. And that is the way it is meant to be.
        Thanks alot! You know ur shiz! What is the recommended viscosity for K series engines? Is it 5W30?
        The Gun Metal DC5R

Comment

What is the recommend viscosity for the Dc2R.. In the manual book i have it states 5w30 but honda doesn't sell that!! Honda mineral is 10-30 and dont no what the synthetic is. Some help guy's
          sigpic
          128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

is your car stock or worked?
            CARSFORHOPE

Comment

Bolt on's.. Header's, high flow cat, catback. CAI,ram intake,... 150 000km no oil consumption!! Soon to have a Power FC
              sigpic
              128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

6 months is approaching the recommended oil change interval (based on time) for my car so if the car was sitting for 6 months then I would not track on that oil because Honda have never steered me astray before. I have no other reasoning apart from that.
                Well I change my oil every 5000km and I'm lucky to do that mileage over a 12 month period. Maybe I should change it every 2500km instead?

Quote:
                Originally Posted by justinfox
                You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

Ive been told under harsh driving every 5G or 3 months.. what ever's 1st.. Any help on the question above guys??
                  sigpic

Comment

I use to use 5-30W ELF Full Syn when my car has only bolt ons
                    CARSFORHOPE

Comment

Were u get your hands on elf?? What u think of castrol edge of Mobil one in 5w30
                      sigpic

Comment

autobarn auburn/blacktown has elf.

castrol edge 5-30W is hydrocracked syn oil... Mobil one is a bit pricey... i use to use that a long time ago
                        CARSFORHOPE

Comment

Yer 87 a bottle.. There's a place in Eastwood that sell 6 litters for 70.. what price the Elf go for??
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DC2R View Post
                            Well I change my oil every 5000km and I'm lucky to do that mileage over a 12 month period. Maybe I should change it every 2500km instead?
                            Can't say to be sure honestly. Personally I changed the oil in my car nearly 12 months ago, and it hasn't been driven more than 20km in that time but I will definitely be changing the oil before I drive it again. Looking at the USDM manual for the DC2 it says every year is fine for light duty, what does the Australian owners manual say?

Originally posted by DakDak View Post
                            Thanks alot! You know ur shiz! What is the recommended viscosity for K series engines? Is it 5W30?
                            Take a look in the manual (I don't have mine with me at the moment), there is a small chart showing various viscosities depending on the climate. For most of Australia it will be either 10W-30 or 10W-40 in the warmer areas.

Originally posted by cordz View Post
                            good information, the 5w-30 is actually more expensive than the 25w-50 and thicker blends so that is very indicative, I think i will have keep this oil for two track days, then do a flush. Are there any ways of telling when your oil has broken down and not fit to be in your engine anymore?
                            An oil analysis is the only reliable way, with a test on a virgin sample of the oil to compare. From my limited understanding the general indicator of oil life is TBN or total base number, which is a measure of the alkalinity left in the oil to counteract the acids produced in combustion and to remove contaminants. Comparing TBN between the used and new oil should tell you whether the oil is good to continue or not. Comparing the viscosity of the new and old oil will also tell you whether high temperatures or load has sheared the oil down.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                              Yer 87 a bottle.. There's a place in Eastwood that sell 6 litters for 70.. what price the Elf go for??
                              ELF goes for about 63 bucks these days at my local car parts and service store.
                              Like Cars For Hope | www.carsforhope.com.au | www.berty.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                                how you finding this oil Tinkerbell. Do you still use it. Were do you get it from and ruff price a bottle? Thanks
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X