• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elf GP 5w-40

Originally posted by ATSE View Post
    Elf Excellium GP 5w 40
    Putting in Elf GP 5w-40 in 3 weeks' time. Will let u know the diff

Comment

how would u guys rate the mobil 1 10w-30 bought here in australia?
      eckoflyte

Comment

Originally posted by Andys View Post
        Just a couple of things.
        1. You can get cheap Honda FEO at Turbo near Liverpool... its $26-ish I think.

2. No need to bother with crush washers and drain bolts with one of these:

- Andrew
        Hmmm any issuse with leakage? looks like a better idea incase you accidently overfill
        F/S: VTI-R Civic

Comment

Originally posted by szymonsta View Post
          the thrifty sponsored dc2r team in the australian GT production championship was using castrol 10or15w-50. i talked to them extensively a year or two ago at the adelaide 500 where they were in a support race.
          Evan is probly best to comment on this but from discussions i have had with him a lot of race teams use a very light weight oil 0w or 5w, seems quite strange that they would use 10w or 15w, such a thick oil would be very hard to circulate around the engine especially at high temps and rpm.

Evan and i both use redline 5w-30, in our dc5rs which rev to 9000rpm, and see the track atleast once a month. I did three track days last week and my car didn't use any oil and the oil is almost as clean as it was the day it went in, hardly any discolouration at all. I tend to run about 500mL additional oil (ie when the motor is warm the oil level is slightly above the full dot) as i am not using a baffled sump and have not had any issues. Redline has always been used in the car since 5000kms and have never had an issue, i would strongly suggest anyone who tracks their car to use this oil. Just for your info some details from the redline site:

"IMPROVED HIGH RPM PROTECTION
          The viscosity seen in a bearing or cam may be completely different than the labeled viscosity. Petroleum oils lose considerable viscosity at high RPMs and high temperatures. In contrast, Red Line synthetics are much more resistant to viscosity loss than even the best petroleums. A petroleum 20W50 begins as a 20W oil and the oil is thickened with a polymeric plastic substance which will thicken the oil at higher temperatures. Unfortunately, when the oil enters a high shear stress area such as a bearing, these large polymer molecules align themselves in order to create the path of least resistance. As shown in Figure 1, the apparent viscosity can be much less than the viscosity listed on the container - typical 20W50s will actually be similar to an SAE 30 or 40 in the bearing. The same behavior occurs with all multigrades, with a petroleum 5W30 shearing down to a 10W or 20W and a synthetic 5W50 shearing similarly to a petroleum 20W50. No wonder 5W30s are not recommended for sustained high-speed driving.

These polymeric thickeners are very large molecules which will suffer from thermal cracking when exposed to high temperatures. When these molecules crack, they reform to create varnish deposits which can stick rings and plug turbo passages. For this reason many turbocharged cars recommend against using wide-range multigrades. Since Red Line Synthetic Oils satisfy the
          high-temperature and low-temperature flow requirements of a multigrade using only a fraction of these thickeners, all viscosity grades are suitable for high temperature and turbo use.

BETTER HIGH TEMPERATURE LUBRICATION
          Petroleum oils boil away rapidly or decompose under high temperature conditions. The low volatility of Red Line not only reduces oil consumption,
          but it can have a significant effect on upper cylinder lubrication, especially in the upper ring area which will see temperatures in the range of 600°F,
          temperatures where polyol ester basestocks will provide excellent lubrication. Cam and follower contacts can also reach temperatures of 500°F. Modern engines are designed to run much hotter than their predecessors, producing more power out of smaller engines. The engine compartments contain much more insulation to deaden noise. The air flow through the engine compartment has been reduced in order to reduce air drag and improve
          fuel economy. Petroleum oils may have adequately lubricated automotive engines of the past, but new engine designs are creating much more stress on
          the oil. The thermal stability of the synthetic hydrocarbon used in other synthetics is only slightly greater than a petroleum hydrocarbon molecule;
          however, the polyol esters in Red Line are capable of at least an additional 100°F before breakdown."

The part about high temps explains why when using most other oils at the track or with lots of vtec use, engines use quite an amount of oil. As stated after 3 track days with my redline, two of them with air temps in excees of 30degrees my motor used no oil, pretty amazing compared to using FEO in my previous car i would go though 1L a month just during everyday driving let alone track days...

Just some food for thought
          NA is BEST

59.4 QR Spint - Qld's Quickest DC5R

Comment

i will be running Redline 10W-40 after my engine is back together..
            ... retired/

Comment

I use Castrol edge 5W-30 for street... and Castrol edge 10W-40 for track.
              I've used Elf and OWS before. Elf heaps better than OWS I reakon. Would like to try Royal Purple... but too exxy!

Originally posted by ChargeR
              Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

I changed my oil to Red Line 10W-30 in preperation for my first track day at Winton on the weekend, after having used Honda FEO for the entire life of my DC5R, and I was really happy with the way it performed.

I added somewhere around 200mL during the day which I considered to be quite good considering my car used to burn a lot of FEO just daily driving. The oil has also only slightly darkened in the 2000kms I have done since I put it in, compared to FEO which seems to go black very quickly. I am not sure whether this is good or bad .

The car seemed to run well all day even though it was getting pretty hot. My car's motor is completely stock so I imagine oil temps would have been getting pretty high in the 30 plus degree heat at Winton so I think some oil consumption would be expected. An oil temp gauge would have come in handy.

Overall I would agree with GoldCoastDC5Rs recommendation of Red Line oils .

Comment

Where do you Sydney guys get Redline from?

I enquired at Bursons (only re-seller in Tamworth), and they wanted $99 for 3.67 litres.

Does it come in 5 litre containers? And what are you guys paying for it?

Comment

Originally posted by JCE View Post
                    Where do you Sydney guys get Redline from?

I enquired at Bursons (only re-seller in Tamworth), and they wanted $99 for 3.67 litres.

Does it come in 5 litre containers? And what are you guys paying for it?
                    JCE, I got my Red Line from Burson who are apparently the only official retailers according to the Red Line website. I also paid about $120 a US gallon, so I would consider $99 a pretty good price .

To the best of my knowledge red line only comes in US sizes of 1 quart and 1 gallon .

Comment

Oh well,

$180 oil changes FTW

Comment

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know where they sell ELF oils in Sydney? My car has been using Mobil 1 10-30 for a very long time but it's getting a bit pricey for me so I'm looking at Elf Excellium GP 5-30 or 5-40 or Motul 8100 5-40. Which one of these 3 would you pick?

Thanks,
                        Richy
                        CARSFORHOPE

Comment

Elf 5-40

Originally posted by ChargeR
                          Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

autobarn at auburn should have the ones u mentioned.

i'd use elf 5w30 for street and 5w40 for track?

Comment

Any Autobarn should stock ELF...well the ones that I've been to at least

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll check out autobarn
                                CARSFORHOPE

Comment

Working...
                                X