DC5-R offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by freakygeek View Post
    The car won't feel as good as it will on wheels with the correct offset.

That may not concern you, but it would concern me.

Kind of like saying "JDM DC5R wheels fit AuDM DC5R's just fine" .... which they do, but the reduction in track due to the incorrect offset causes some 'interesting' handling traits.
    But that's not the case is it. We are increasing the track width by a small amount which 99% of aftermarket wheels do anyways. I swear people get over technical for no reason at times.

Comment

I think someone in the for sales forum is selling their CW dc5 rims.

Comment

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=1755

JonnieR is selling a set PM him for more details if the link doesn't work for you.

Comment

yeah i have had a look at the thread but it has no rubber.....sort of looking at the JDM ones aswell.

thanks Kookie

Comment

Originally posted by dang View Post
            But that's not the case is it. We are increasing the track width by a small amount which 99% of aftermarket wheels do anyways. I swear people get over technical for no reason at times.
            I simply stated a side effect of putting those particular wheels on that particular car... I think the change in track is quite important.

If you're interested in what i'm getting over-technical about, read the quoted text below from http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te..._transfer.html

Any positive change in track width, and therefore offset, increases the scrub radius. Scrub radius (see diagram on page 128) is the distance from the centerline of the tire's contact patch to the point where the steering axis intersects the ground, also known to regular readers as "The Dave Point." Increasing the scrub radius allows forces generated by the tire more leverage to act on the steering. To the driver, this translates as torque steer under acceleration and braking.

To minimize the change in scrub radius, it's important to try to increase wheel width to the inside as well as the outside by paying close attention to the wheel offset. This puts more rubber on the road and increases the track width while maintaining the same scrub radius.

Increasing track width also changes the motion ratio of the suspension, which effectively reduces spring and anti-roll bar rates. Lastly, a very positive offset wheel puts a large strain on wheel bearings, ball joints and steering linkage, making them wear much faster. All of these are good reasons not to go overboard with this method of increasing track width. A good rule of thumb is it's safe to use the largest wheels and tires you can stuff in your stock wheel wells by rolling the inner fender flange.
            | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

just another legality note:

National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (NCOP)

http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/safet...g_3Feb2006.pdf

states that passenger vehicle wheel track must NOT be increased by over 25mm, or 12.5mm each side.

page 17 has details.

you *might* be able to get it approved by an engineer, but at a pretty hefty cost...
              ... retired/

Comment

im not going to bother going to get an engineer's certificate for putting 16's on a car that origianlly came with 16's

Comment

i wouldnt either, lol!

but i'm just airing the facts as they stand...
                  ... retired/

Comment

hahaha...thought you would.

Comment

actually which size of wheels are more suitable for audm dc5r??cause i feel lots of wheel spin at first gear when i using my stock 16"+S03...any1 recon. 17" better?

Comment

my DC5R stockers are +45 offset

Comment

Working...
                        X