X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fueltank
    The thing is, you don't know what the 3 bolts are exactly rated to
    maybe we should all invest in a hoist
    When I buy my own house, I am going to dig pits in my garage. I have a feeling that is going to be a very expensive exercise
    I am a lesbian trapped inside a male body

Comment

Originally posted by fueltank
      The thing is, you don't know what the 3 bolts are exactly rated to
      maybe we should all invest in a hoist
      i know all Honda chassis bolts are rated to Metric 8.8 strenght, and these ones are M14 size, so are quite solid if you have 3 in a triangle pattern... rated to 120,000PSI Minimum Tensile Strenght and 92'000PSI Minimum Yield Strength

and FYI - here is the picture from the Honda manual...

NB - the rear tow point is the rear jacking point

Attached Files
      Last edited by tinkerbell; 22-08-06, 03:07 PM.
      ... retired/

Comment

i actually thought there were refering to the front tow points which is what they use to strap the car down to the dyno.

but what tinkerbell posted in the pic are both fine to jack your car up.

but you need a jack rated to carry the weight of your car. and can lift it high enough to put car stands under the stand points.

note never work under a car on just the jack alone!
        Last edited by Wlee2; 22-08-06, 03:08 PM. Reason: used to many ... someone might ban me
        Memorable quotes

Originally posted by Q_ball
        some say, his vtec was switched off on his last 4 outings at wakefield....

and that his foot comprises of only a heal and a toe...

all we know is hes called The Perry!!
        Originally posted by tinkerbell
        if those HA's are 7k old - i will eat my own arsehole...
        A wise man once said "Tok like Gay better than been like gay"

Originally posted by Wayne
        Never again complain about a honda's reliability just be glad you dont own an Alfa

Comment

i am referring to the front two tow points.

you know - the bits you connect to when TOWING the car with another car?
          ... retired/

Comment

very interesting there, learn something new everyday.
            happyhong says:
            aus only have 3 r
            happyhong says:
            civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

im not to sure what everyone is so revved up about then =P...

Hoist use those 4 points on the sides of the car to pick up the whole car?
              the 2 front tow hooks can hold the weight. rear jack point can hold the weight? front jackpoint is fine?

before i got a big 2 tonne jack i use to use a baby jack to jack up the sides and put jackstands under the car..

now i always just jack from the front jackpoint in tinkerbells picture and the rearjackpoint/towpoint for the rear?
              Memorable quotes

Never again complain about a honda's reliability just be glad you dont own an Alfa

Comment

yeh i was refering to what tinker said

the tow point where there is an actual hole like piece of metal, enough to fit a finger thru the hole. it just sounds so sqeeky when i used the trolley jack.

yeh never work under the car with those tyre jacks. i have a picture somewhere on jdmst where it went wrong. But i though its fine to be working under the car if the car is on pin stands.

Comment

ahh i've found them

Comment

lol that's what mine looked like after being used one too many times while fettling my coilover setup..
                    "What's the point of racing a car that doesn't look cool?" - Nakai-san, RWB

Comment

Damn that jack is mongled!
                      Hope the car didn't topple over
                      happyhong says:
                      aus only have 3 r
                      happyhong says:
                      civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

I've only ever used that jack once and it was when I popped a tyre

Comment

Originally posted by Wlee2 View Post
                          but you need a jack rated to carry the weight of your car.
                          correct me if i'm wrong but unless u're intending to stand your car up on the jack alone, it doesn't need to be rated to carry the weight of your car.

when u jack it up, hopefully two wheels will still be on the ground to share the distributed weight of your car with the jack. then u can put your jack stands underneath the lifted part.

if you're planning on setting your car up on four jack stands, then the 4 in combination should be rated to carry the weight of your car. not each one individually.
                          almost JDM spec, y0!

Comment

Originally posted by sangers View Post
                            correct me if i'm wrong but unless u're intending to stand your car up on the jack alone, it doesn't need to be rated to carry the weight of your car.

when u jack it up, hopefully two wheels will still be on the ground to share the distributed weight of your car with the jack. then u can put your jack stands underneath the lifted part.

if you're planning on setting your car up on four jack stands, then the 4 in combination should be rated to carry the weight of your car. not each one individually.
                            i dunno.. but ive tried jacking up the front jack point using a baby jack..(rated at 600kg) and it couldent do it..
                            maybee mine was a bit older than my newer one but what i noticed is that i will jack it up a bit then it kinda well "sinks".

im not going to say it cant be done but i believe its probably still safer to have a jack that i know can.

i meen what worse case scenario is your jack cant cope with the weight and collapses droppping your pride and joy to the ground...

and plus you should never work under the car with just the jack alone i dont care if the jack can carry 5 tonne i aint going under it without stands =P
                            and i meen they got those weight ratings for a reason right ? might as well go with it
                            Last edited by Wlee2; 23-08-06, 03:55 PM.
                            Memorable quotes

Comment

Originally posted by Wlee2 View Post
                              i dunno.. but ive tried jacking up the front jack point using a baby jack..(rated at 600kg) and it couldent do it..
                              maybee mine was a bit older than my newer one but what i noticed is that i will jack it up a bit then it kinda well "sinks".

im not going to say it cant be done but i believe its probably still safer to have a jack that i know can.

i meen what worse case scenario is your jack cant cope with the weight and collapses droppping your pride and joy to the ground...

and plus you should never work under the car with just the jack alone i dont care if the jack can carry 5 tonne i aint going under it without stands =P
                              and i meen they got those weight ratings for a reason right ? might as well go with it
                              i'd suggest that one that can hold more than half the weight of your car will suffice. for reference dc2/dc5's weight about 1200kg, so one that can hold 700kg will suffice so long as you still have two wheels planted on the ground.
                              almost JDM spec, y0!

Comment

if u want something that will be good for life and low and heavy duty...get one of those "race jacks" from decent tools suppliers around the place.
                                I got one , alloy " race" jack ( very low profile and big lifitng pad) , rated at 1000kg which is plenty per corner.
                                Cost about $270.00 and is good for life apparently ?!? U can jack up any point of the car and it will hold instead of thse shitty little super cheap auto jacks.
                                I dont suggest you do this often (use jackstands) but its great for doing one corner at a time with sussy etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X