No announcement yet.

Oil Catch Can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that David - will look into it for the MX5 and when I have another look at the Integra.

Comment

Originally posted by Apu View Post
      I'd listen out for it, and trust (hope?) the CEL will show if there is an issue. What would you do?
      If you can hear knock at WOT then it is doing damage.

According to Adrian, Aus spec DC2R's don't have any capability to listen for knock - they have the sensor on the block, but not the sub-board in the ECU that listens to it.

Most vehicles won't display a CEL for knock - they will typically just pull ignition timing until the knock condition is satisfied.
      | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Originally posted by freakygeek View Post
        If you can hear knock at WOT then it is doing damage.
        exactly, and if you can't hear it and it is still happening - then you still have performance loss.

for every little bit of chemical that is not air or fuel (e.g. evil crankcase vapours) that is entering the combustion process, you are suffering performance loss (excluding nitrous etc)

crankcase vapours are very evil, that is why it is law that you must have a system that burns them to prevent them entering the atmosphere in their most evil form...
        ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
          exactly, and if you can't hear it and it is still happening - then you still have performance loss.

for every little bit of chemical that is not air or fuel (e.g. evil crankcase vapours) that is entering the combustion process, you are suffering performance loss (excluding nitrous etc)

crankcase vapours are very evil, that is why it is law that you must have a system that burns them to prevent them entering the atmosphere in their most evil form...
          Yep exactly. Many european cars (BMW etc) use a "cyclone separator" to avoid the liquid (oil) components of the vapour going back into the intake. They often fall to bits / fail / leak so I can only assume the reason the Japanese don't use them as often is a) reliability and b) cost of manufacture.
          | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

I was talking the Kiet some time back and he mentioned that his catch can was filling with E85...not oil. I've also heard the same on the MX5 forum.

Can someone help explain this please? Fine if this goes into the combustion process (uhh...are we petrolheads THAT environmentally conscious?) but some turbo setups return the oil to the sump...I'd certainly not want fuel mixing with my oil!

Comment

Working...
            X