K24A2 in DC5 no workie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K24A2 in DC5 no workie

So, I just installed an 05 tsx motor (supplied by hmotors.com) and it wont start. After I finished servicing fluids and doing a final check of all connections, I cranked that baby up. It started right up with a nice purr. After two minutes it died and wont start again. I have tried two sets of injectors/coil packs and I cant figure it out. I even pulled the valve cover to double check my work on the timing....no discrepancies. Also, I do have kpro and I have loaded the 04-05stock map. Im using the dc5 harness, k20knock sensor and crank position sensor, blox 70mm TB and all my k20 accesories/crank pulley with new belt. Everything else is k24. Am i missing something? What in the world would cause this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Almpst forgot to mention that the brand new ngk iridiums are getting flooded...maybe ive lost spark....but how?
    Last edited by ahofnar; 16-12-13, 01:22 PM. Reason: swypo's

Sorry to hear about your situation. This was something I was absolutely terrified of happening to myself. To say the least, I was extremely nervous before starting up the engine being paranoid of something like this!

Just a few questions that may help:
    Were you able to confirm that the K24A2 was in working condition from when you picked it up?
    Does the starter motor crank over? Are you able to perform a compression test?
    Are you able to recall in the manner the engine turned off?
    Did it struggle or stall? Was there any odd noises as it was turning off to indicate something incorrectly put back together within the engine?
    Did the engine overheat due to air pockets in the coolant? 2-3 minutes will be enough for the coolant to reach temps of over 100*C with an air pocket in the coolant system.
    Kpro isn't reading any error codes?
    Lastly, just checking, you haven't overlooked that you still have fuel?

Comment

Check your grounds.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I will decinately check the grounds, but I cant get to the car until tuesday unfortunately. Darn auto hobby shop is closed on mondays. To answer your questions, butter: I cannot confirm that it was working, but hmotors does give a 100% startup guarantee. The compression tester I was using wasnt getting a good seal; but I can say that when I pulled the plugs and cranked it, spouts of fuel shot over the roof...lol. The engine just gently died; no sputter, no noises. I was checking the power steering pump resevoir at the time, not that it matters. There was a slight ammount of white smoke by the header while running, but I made a bit of a mess when putting the oil cooler on, so that was expected. I poured coolant in the upper hose until the engine was full, so no problems there. The radiator barely burped with the cap off. Only code logged in kpro was a daughterboard low voltage, but you know how that goes. I have plenty of fuel, its definately no spark: When I swapped the k20 injectors into the rail, I got a face full of fuel at 50 psi. I went ahead an ordered a new crank position sensor and map just in case. Ill definitely update you guys on tuesday afternoon. Other than that, ill give you my last seen kpro sensor stats while cranking with no start. Thanks for the help!!

Rpm 129
        Vss 0
        Map 101.4 kpa
        Clv 98%
        Tps, cam and camcd are 0
        Inj 28.0 ms
        Duty 3%
        Ign -2%
        Iat and ect 75.6 degees F
        PA 99 kpa
        Bat 11.5 (I had tried to crank many times on the battery)
        Last edited by ahofnar; 16-12-13, 01:15 PM. Reason: swypos

Comment

all i can suggest making sure your battery is hella charged befoer tryign to start it again, otherwise you just gonna keep flooding it....
          ... retired/

Comment

I will charge it again. I was just getting frustrated and kept trying over and over. I can tell you that my starter is quite strong!

After some thinking... is it possible to have too much fuel to the injectors from this swap some how?
            Last edited by ahofnar; 16-12-13, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
              Check your grounds.
              My grounds on my swap weren't connected correctly, so the car would start up fine and would let me drive for about 5 minutes and then would just die. Hopefully its as simple as this.
              Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

To much fuel will make the car cough but yes it's possible cause u have hondata.

Grounds or battery if u ask me
                Street Circuit Lifestyle - Official distributor for PasswordJDM sales@streetcircuitlifestyle.com.au

teamGROUNDzero
                http://www.teamgroundzero.org

Comment

Originally posted by ahofnar View Post
                  Thanks for the replies guys. I will decinately check the grounds, but I cant get to the car until tuesday unfortunately. Darn auto hobby shop is closed on mondays. To answer your questions, butter: I cannot confirm that it was working, but hmotors does give a 100% startup guarantee. The compression tester I was using wasnt getting a good seal; but I can say that when I pulled the plugs and cranked it, spouts of fuel shot over the roof...lol. The engine just gently died; no sputter, no noises. I was checking the power steering pump resevoir at the time, not that it matters. There was a slight ammount of white smoke by the header while running, but I made a bit of a mess when putting the oil cooler on, so that was expected. I poured coolant in the upper hose until the engine was full, so no problems there. The radiator barely burped with the cap off. Only code logged in kpro was a daughterboard low voltage, but you know how that goes. I have plenty of fuel, its definately no spark: When I swapped the k20 injectors into the rail, I got a face full of fuel at 50 psi. I went ahead an ordered a new crank position sensor and map just in case. Ill definitely update you guys on tuesday afternoon. Other than that, ill give you my last seen kpro sensor stats while cranking with no start. Thanks for the help!!

Rpm 129
                  Vss 0
                  Map 101.4 kpa
                  Clv 98%
                  Tps, cam and camcd are 0
                  Inj 28.0 ms
                  Duty 3%
                  Ign -2%
                  Iat and ect 75.6 degees F
                  PA 99 kpa
                  Bat 11.5 (I had tried to crank many times on the battery)
                  post up the datalog.
                  and def charge the battery again, CEL cos of low batt

Comment

I didnt get a chance to log unfortunately. I was too busy checking for leaks and listening for funky noises. Im not sure if its a normal kpro thing, but if I turn the key from off to start before the pump finishes priming, I get the daughterboard cell. Anyhoo, I will let you guys know my findings tomorrow. Hopefully it is that simple!

Comment

Put a Multi meter on your battery mate
                      Street Circuit Lifestyle - Official distributor for PasswordJDM sales@streetcircuitlifestyle.com.au

teamGROUNDzero
                      http://www.teamgroundzero.org

Comment

I had a problem with the ground connected to the underside of the intake manifold. The nut fell off a few times due to hard launches.

Comment

Ok gentlemen, it has been given life! It was not what we thought, though. After reinforcing grounds and changing plugs and sensors...it still wouldnt turn. I got a wild hair ip my butt and decided to take the valve cover off and check the cams. My vtc wasn't seated properly on the peg and it caused my intake valves to let compression out through the manifold. Apparently I forgot to torque my cam gear. The only issues I see are:
                          -The engine likes to run hot at idle. Im pretty sure that I got all the air out. Do all k24s like to stay around 204ºF?
                          -The stock map in kmanager is absolute garbage, so I have a lean fuel cel. Im currently looking for a tuner.
                          Ill post the log up if anyone cares to see. Thanks for all the effort getting me going guys! The engine sounds beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by ahofnar View Post
                            Do all k24s like to stay around 204ºF?
                            yes, exactly as Honda has designed it.
                            ... retired/

Comment

btw - good news, well done - just have a mental review - what else might not have been torqued?
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X