DC5R overheating issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MYDC5R View Post
    The earlier it opens the better in theory.
    no.

that is what the JDM bling parts manufacturers would like you to believe.

feel free to provide a critique of this article in a separate thread if you so firmly believe in low temp thermos having a genuine purpose on a street/track car: http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/...the-advantage/
    ... retired/

Comment

how'd it go?
      ... retired/

Comment

I haven't had time to scratch my ass yet with everything coming up to silly season. I'm going to Switzerland and Japan tomorrow for 2.5 weeks so I'll have more time after the New Years. I'll definitely report back when I can get under the car.

Comment

I got a chance to get under the car and replaced the thermostat back to the original. The readings I'm getting is the same as before. It's reading 85 degs for both water and oil (water reading at the head and oil at the sump). Before the track day, they would both read consistantly around the 70 degs mark.

I also tested the Mugen thermostat and it opens and closes fine.

Any other suggestions guys?

Comment

so it is reading ONLY 85 with the STD theromost - how long was it warmed up for?

plus - if it was 70 before, and now it is 85, at least your fuel economy should be improved slightly!

it will be even better if you could get it to hold steady over 90

i personally cant see that you have an "overheating problem" as you have not mentioned a temperature reading that has three figures in it...
            ... retired/

Comment

btw - did you read this: http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/...the-advantage/

i posted for all to read, not just MYDC5R
              ... retired/

Comment

I'm with Tinkerbell. What are the absolute temperatures you'd experience before the issue started and what are they now and under what conditions? On the street in my car I'd normally see temperatures anywhere between the low 80s and the high 90s, measured with the stock sensor by the ECU. So basically anywhere between when the thermostat begins to open (76°-80° according to the workshop manual) and when the fan switch comes on at about 95°.

Comment

Originally posted by T-BaGGeR View Post
                  Before the track day, they would both read consistantly around the 70 degs mark.
                  also - what ECU are you running? i am surprised that VTEC still worked with such a cold engine?

can you log the OBDII sensors? like ECT?

it may be that your gauge/s are out?
                  ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                    so it is reading ONLY 85 with the STD theromost - how long was it warmed up for?

plus - if it was 70 before, and now it is 85, at least your fuel economy should be improved slightly!

it will be even better if you could get it to hold steady over 90

i personally cant see that you have an "overheating problem" as you have not mentioned a temperature reading that has three figures in it...
                    I drove the car for half an hr yesterday and it sat steady at 85 degs. Both water and oil temp.

Comment

also - what ECU are you running? i am surprised that VTEC still worked with such a cold engine?

can you log the OBDII sensors? like ECT?

it may be that your gauge/s are out?
                      I'm running the k100 hondata and it doesn't data log. I have just bought a gauge that reads from the obd2 and I will try get the ECT reading the next time I take the car out.

VTEC worked fine before the track day.

Comment

I'm running the k100 hondata and it doesn't data log. I have just bought a gauge that reads from the obd2 and I will try get the ECT reading the next time I take the car out.
                        that will help to tell where your coolant is actually sitting at.

VTEC worked fine before the track day.
                        then it is unlikely that your coolant temperature was actually sitting normaly at 70 degrees
                        ... retired/

Comment

I drove the car for half an hr yesterday and it sat steady at 85 degs. Both water and oil temp.
                          so the Mugen thermostat had no influence on the temperature? it was 85 with the Mugen one, and 85 with the OEM one?

when you tested the Mugen T.stat - what temperature was it fully open at?
                          ... retired/

Comment

so the Mugen thermostat had no influence on the temperature? it was 85 with the Mugen one, and 85 with the OEM one?

when you tested the Mugen T.stat - what temperature was it fully open at?
                            With the Mugen thermostat, regular street driving, the car would sit at around 70c before the track day. After the track day, the car would sit at about 80-85c.
                            I changed to the OEM thermostat yesterday, drove it for half an hr and it sat at 85c.

I tested the mugen thermostat but boiling some water and submerging the thermostat and just watched to see if it openend, pulled it out to cool and it closed, sat it back in hot water and it opened again. I didn't get an actual temperature reading.

Comment

With the Mugen thermostat, regular street driving, the car would sit at around 70c before the track day. After the track day, the car would sit at about 80-85c.
                              I changed to the OEM thermostat yesterday, drove it for half an hr and it sat at 85c.

I tested the mugen thermostat but boiling some water and submerging the thermostat and just watched to see if it openend, pulled it out to cool and it closed, sat it back in hot water and it opened again. I didn't get an actual temperature reading.
                              so according to this - it is possible the Mugen one has stopped opening fully.
                              ... retired/

Comment

Eliminating everything else, It's highly probable that is the cause. It's just not opening fully. I read that article Tink and it clears up a lot of things. Thanks.

The ultimate test would be when I hit the track next. I was only concerned about this temp difference because when out on the track, I want that extra buffer on temps.

Comment

Working...
                                X