DC5R overheating issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5R overheating issues

I recently did a track day and now the car is overheating slightly. The oil and water temps are reading about 10-15 deg higher than normal and the water temp is rising a lot faster from a cold start. The temps art dangerously high, but it's just reading higher than normal.

Also the hand brake light is coming on when I hit the brakes. When I take off it, takes a few seconds for it to turn off.

I'm thinking the thermo stat on the lower hose is stuck open and I need to replace it. It's a Mugen thermo stat. If anyone else has any ideas what might be causing the overheating, please reply. I don't want to be throwing money at parts and guessing.

Originally posted by T-BaGGeR View Post
    I recently did a track day and now the car is overheating slightly. The oil and water temps are reading about 10-15 deg higher than normal and the water temp is rising a lot faster from a cold start. The temps art dangerously high, but it's just reading higher than normal.

Also the hand brake light is coming on when I hit the brakes. When I take off it, takes a few seconds for it to turn off.

I'm thinking the thermo stat on the lower hose is stuck open and I need to replace it. It's a Mugen thermo stat. If anyone else has any ideas what might be causing the overheating, please reply. I don't want to be throwing money at parts and guessing.
    Handbrake light on means the brake fluids low!

Have you checked you coolent and oil levels, Oil level may be low.
    Stuck open thermostat wouldn't cause the car to over heat! And will make the car take longer to heat up!
    sigpic
    128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

I'll check the brake fluid and see if it's low. I did an oil change and I checked the coolant. Coolant levels are fine, oil level is fine

Comment

I think overheating would be caused by a thermostat that's stuck shut not shut open, but I'm not very knowledgeable in this area though in regards to what part of the cooling system your temp reading is taken from.
        Have you done a search on clubrsx mate?
        02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Originally posted by gunpoons View Post
          I think overheating would be caused by a thermostat that's stuck shut not shut open, but I'm not very knowledgeable in this area though in regards to what part of the cooling system your temp reading is taken from.
          Have you done a search on clubrsx mate?
          Yep. Thermostat stuck closed will cause over heating.
          The normal operation of a thermostat is to open when the car is at operating temp. When opened the coolant flows through the radiator. In turn cooling the engine to avoid increase in heat. The thermostat will open and close to keep the temperature at operating temp!
          When idling or moving very slowly there isnt enough air flow through the radiator to cool the coolant. And the fan switch will turn on. Untill ideal operating temp is reached again!

Id start by driving the car a short distance. And check both top and bottem radiator hose are HOT. If not the termostat is stuck closed and coolent isnt circulating.
          Replace thermostat!

If it is id then let the car idle to see if the fans will turn on! if not replace the fan switch.
          sigpic
          128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

get rid of the Mugen t/s and install a OEM temp. one made by Honda.

report back results.
            ... retired/

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the great info guys. I will do all the above and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                get rid of the Mugen t/s and install a OEM temp. one made by Honda.

report back results.
                Or it's possible that his current thermostat is buggered and nothing wrong with mugen quality?
                It is practically a OEM unit just operates earlier then OEM

Comment

Originally posted by MYDC5R View Post
                  Or it's possible that his current thermostat is buggered and nothing wrong with mugen quality?
                  It is practically a OEM unit just operates earlier then OEM
                  so what is wrong with using the OEM one? these last a fairly long time. and is cheaper. and never causes issues.

and why do you think a thermostat needs to open earlier? this is a street car AFAIK?
                  ... retired/

Comment

It is a street car that sees the track about once a month.

Comment

yeah, def. no need for anything besides the standard thermostat...

it may not be opening fully -may have a bit of debris lodged in it or it might just be getting tired - this will lead to the symptoms you describe.

step 1 is to remove it and check it - but even then - you may as well just replace it.

make sure when it is replaced you get all the air out.

(i am assuming you have already checked the radiator coolant level when it is cold and it is full to the brim?)
                      ... retired/

Comment

What temperature's are you getting? Are you getting a check engine light when your car "overheats"?

A number of issues that may cause overheating are:
                        1) Incorrect mixture of anti-freeze / water
                        Using 5L OEM coolant?
                        2) Air pockets inside the system
                        Burp out all the air
                        3) Thermostat stuck closed
                        Replace thermostat (Brand new OEM thermostats are about $80-$90 from Honda Dealership)
                        4) Water pump broken
                        Check your water pump pulley to see if its spinning
                        5) Blockage in radiator
                        Take out the radiator and stream / spray water into the top of radiator to see if it comes out the other end with a same reasonable amount of flow (looking for any disturbance in flow of the water going in compared to it coming out.)
                        6) Radiator fans not working
                        Visually check to see if they switch on. On a stock ECU, the radiator fans will switch on when water temperatures reach 100*C.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                          so what is wrong with using the OEM one? these last a fairly long time. and is cheaper. and never causes issues.

and why do you think a thermostat needs to open earlier? this is a street car AFAIK?
                          I don't see a issue in changing it to a Mugen one if he chooses to. He tracks once a month or such as the OP stated.
                          If you are on track and obviously your car is being put through alot more pressure than what is seen on the street there is no harm in using a Mugen Thermostat to allow the thermostat to open earlier to commence cooling sooner rather than later. The earlier it opens the better in theory.

Comment

I don't see a issue in changing it to a Mugen one if he chooses to. He tracks once a month or such as the OP stated.
                            If you are on track and obviously your car is being put through alot more pressure than what is seen on the street there is no harm in using a Mugen Thermostat to allow the thermostat to open earlier to commence cooling sooner rather than later. The earlier it opens the better in theory.
                            How is a lower opening themostat better. Your lowering its operating temp in normal conditions. Excessive idling, constant track work it may buy you 1 minute of cooler coolent!
                            If you want your car to run constant cooler coolent upgrade your radiator!
                            sigpic

Comment

I don't see a issue in changing it to a Mugen one if he chooses to.
                              this thread is about an apparent cooling problem, not about whether someone should change TO a different thermostat.

when i sugested replacing the thermostat as a first option perhaps you took my post as being disrespectful towards a particular brand name?

it wasn't.

it wouldn't matter what brand name low temperature thermostat he had installed; spoon, mishimoto, tridon, mugen, gates, etcetera

all that matters is that the Honda one is still the best option in a street car/track car.

if your thermostat is not close to or already FULLY OPEN before you leave the pits - you are pretty disrespectful to you car.
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X