Calipers Slipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norm View Post
    Well we can be pretty sure to narrow it down brakes and tyres as you can hear it intermittently rubbing. Is that a rubber squeal more than a metal to metal noise?
    It sounds more like metal on metal though at times it is a slight rubber squeal. Mainly metal on metal.

Comment

Originally posted by ZIPPIE Type-S View Post
      It won't be loose calipers as they would make a knocking noise when you applied the brakes.
      Oh ok! No i does not knock at all thanks for clearing that!

Comment

have a proper mechanic to check the disc run-out,

if you replaced the discs, warped hub face/dirty hub face is the other culprit...

http://rdabrakes.com.au/page/TB01.aspx
        ... retired/

Comment

Agree with tink could be a dirty or warped hub face/flange. Have a certified mechanic check for runout. An oncar disc machine may cure this as the oncar hub lathe compensates for a warped hub flange.
          sigpic MRDC5S

Comment

Yes that article helped thank you. I think your'e right on the money, i am going to a different mechanic for this issue and repeat what you guys have said hopefully they can fix it. Ill make sure ill let you know how it goes.

Thank you Norm and all appreciate it.

Comment

Hey Guys!

Ok so i have been told the reason why my car is making this awful sound is because of the Callipers not releasing properly. Apparently it is getting stuck and since it is supposed to release and only grab once i press the brake pedal it has been constantly rubbing against my brake disks.

So i have been told i have 2 options;

1. Repair/ Rebuild my Callipers.

or

2. Buy new Brake Callipers.

So i wanted to hear your opinions, if you think this doesn't sound right let me know. But i just would like to know is it worth getting new brakes for some extra cash or just to rebuild the callipers.

Thanks guys

Comment

Id be asking why there not releasing probably?
                Leak in brake line, Brake booster stuffed ect
                sigpic
                128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by che View Post
                  Hey Guys!

Ok so i have been told the reason why my car is making this awful sound is because of the Callipers not releasing properly. Apparently it is getting stuck and since it is supposed to release and only grab once i press the brake pedal it has been constantly rubbing against my brake disks.

So i have been told i have 2 options;

1. Repair/ Rebuild my Callipers.

or

2. Buy new Brake Callipers.

So i wanted to hear your opinions, if you think this doesn't sound right let me know. But i just would like to know is it worth getting new brakes for some extra cash or just to rebuild the callipers.

Thanks guys
                  #1 DC2? DC5? EP3? Need this detail
                  #2 Do some of your own investigation to make sure your not being con'd. Remove the caliper off the rotors and inspect to make sure there clean and nothing is stopping them from releasing
                  #3 As Karl said, check for the obvious things first, Brakes line etc. I don't think your booster is gone but still possible.
                  #4 Rebuild your caliper over getting new ones or purchasing second hand one as that way you'll know your going to get them to last for a good time!
                  Last edited by MYDC5R; 12-11-13, 07:44 PM.

Comment

when you got the run-out tested, what were the findings?
                    ... retired/

Comment

if its not releasing properly then it could be the brake lines?

Comment

Originally posted by MYDC5R View Post
                        #1 DC2? DC5? EP3? Need this detail
                        #2 Do some of your own investigation to make sure your not being con'd. Remove the caliper off the rotors and inspect to make sure there clean and nothing is stopping them from releasing
                        #3 As Karl said, check for the obvious things first, Brakes line etc. I don't think your booster is gone but still possible.
                        #4 Rebuild your caliper over getting new ones or purchasing second hand one as that way you'll know your going to get them to last for a good time!
                        Originally posted by Karl View Post
                        Id be asking why there not releasing probably?
                        Leak in brake line, Brake booster stuffed ect
                        DC2. He didn't get to specifics on what is causing them from releasing, but i was going to go to another mechanic to double check this weekend and i now know to ask for what the cause is, wether it is the brake lines or something else thanks guys!

Im in the search for a new mechanic also because the one i am dealing with does not give much detail and i've realised that he doesn't seem to know much when it comes to honda's, brakes and suspension.. :S All i am doing is going there for check ups since i don't have to pay.

Thanks all appreciate you guys helping me out so i dont get ripped off

Comment

it's not the brake lines - how can standard "brake lines" cause a sticking caliper? by being kinked? but surely this would have been seen...

c'mon guys, you have to respect this is the technical forum and one sentence responses are NOT going to cut it...

if the calipers are sticking, just rebuid them (basically just new piston seals) - you need the caliper set:

part no. 01463-ST7-R00 illustartion no. 001 here:

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

with new caliper specific grease - MolyKote M-77 on the slider pistons...

this should solve a sticking problem, unless the pin sliders/bores are damaged (unlikely) - and any mechanic (who has a clue) will identify a sticking caliper the instant he/she takes the caliper off to inspect it...

BUT - the part above where you said:

Though he did check the callipers, undid them and pressed them together and made sure it was all intact. This did fix it with him doing this on Saturday and throughout the weekend i didn't hear a noise at all! Until this morning on my way to work i started hearing it again, feels like it loosened up after a day.
                          makes it seem like they do need to be looked at by someone useful...
                          Last edited by tinkerbell; 14-11-13, 07:57 AM.
                          ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                          X