Clutch issues :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norm View Post
    That sound is normal. It's the fluid moving or getting compressed in the clutch master cylinder. Can you please do a test. Can you put the shifter into gears whilst the car is turned off? Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to record the clutch fork whilst you step on your clutch from inside. As mentioned, check for leaks and fluid quality and quantity. Just youtube rsx clutch fork of you don't know what I'm referring too. We just want to narrow it down to whether its a simple CMC problem or actual pressure plate. The difference in price of fixing could be easily $500-$600.
    I dont see any leaks and is the clutch fluid reservoir the smaller one of the two near the struct bar ? If so, fluids are filled up. I will posting pictures and videos up soon.

And when the car is turned off, I can put it into gears.

Can you guys also confirm that the clutch fork/master cylinder is underneath the airbox ?

Comment

Yes the clutch fork and slave cylinder are underneath the airbox facing towards the radiator on the side of the gearbox
      Sleeping Performance & Mechanical Repairs: Balance, Feedback, Response

Ph: +61397947767
      Address: 6/253 Princes Hwy, Dandenong VIC 3175
      Email: josh@sleepingperformancemr.com.au
      Facebook: www.facebook.com/sleepingperformancemr

Comment

Sounds like you can engage it with no difficulty. Might need to look at bleeding the clutch to rule that out first and then if thats all functioning fine, probably then the pressure plate.

Comment

Okay guys, so my fluids are filled up but I can't open the brake fluid reservoir LOL..

Heres a clip of what I think is the Clutch fork. Sorry correct me if I'm wrong. It makes a terrible noise.. I apologise for the crap at the end.
          Last edited by cwdc5; 07-06-13, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Hahahahah nice ending (Not technical I know). Well the clutch fork is moving fine. Just sounds like it needs some greasing around there. Its pointing more towards the clutch itself. How many km's has the car done? Has the clutch be changed?

Comment

Just had the same issue with my DC2R tonight. Dean had the clutch put inat 23K kms and it's now just hit 43K kms. It's more aggressive than the original). Pedal "popped" at an intersection and I stalled. Clutch friction got closer and closer to the floor - in the end I had match revs and pray plus drive from Cherrybrook to Blacktown with next to no clutch - most of it in 3rd. Popped the hood and the slave reservoir was empty except for the narrow part of the neck and there was a lot of black particles around the inside of the master cylinder. Topped it up and left it to see if it drops overnight - if so I might bleed it and see if it's the issue - but I have a feeling that at the least it's an O-ring that's disintegrated on the slave. Which sucks because if it's anything like having to change slaves on my other cars, the gearbox has to come off. Can't see any leeks near the reservoir and the slave is dry too, but it's dark so I'll look again in the morning, flush all the old fluid out and try dropping in some new.

Sucks because the E30 is off the road too because the reservoir tank to the radiator is threaded against the screw on cap and the radiator it puking coolant past the cap. BMW's E30 radiator system is the most convoluted system under the sun. So going to 2JZ it and fuck all that shit off.

Sadly, it was a new tank and cap I bought from BMW Aust - I now have the same coming from the US for 90 bucks - not the 290 I paid for them via BMW Australia. More importantly - it's the proper cap this time.
              Last edited by Setanta; 07-06-13, 08:02 PM.
              1988 CRX
              1999 Integra Type R
              2020 Civic Type R

Comment

Slave cylinder is external on hondas.
                sigpic MRDC5S

Comment

I think I might know what the problem is:

Time to see how much Honda is going to ream me for in replacement costs. I hate dealing with them because they won't order unles you go into their office - yet I can order BMW stuff from the US online. Not a fan of Honda Australia at all (the guys behind the counter are good value though).

Sorted the E30 temporarily. BMW use a convoluted radiator expansion tank that is part of the pressure system and the radiator cap fits onto the expansion tank. I replaced the tank and cap via BMW Australia (strangely enough, the same place I buy my Honda parts). Wrong radiator cap - both it and the expansion tank are plastic and well... heat and plastic and slightly out of kilter thread... ok the first few times, then it won't seat properly. Teflon tape and trial and error... sorted for now but I have a replacement tank and cap coming from the US. I still can't believe the price difference... I swear Gillard is reaping in a BMW tax in Australia.

Or someone is.
                  1988 CRX
                  1999 Integra Type R
                  2020 Civic Type R

Comment

Working...
                  X