Clutch issues :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch issues :(

Hi, my day is going all wrong.. Well my DC5R isn't too healthy I think.. When I engage the clutch all the way while stationary, and try to put it into gear, it wont go in unless I force it. It then makes the sound of grinding gears.. Im not sure whats wrong but this happened when the car was warming up. It's like the clutch isn't working.. Is it a potential clutch issue or gearbox ?

Can someone help me out ?

master or slave cylinder issue is my guess
    could also be the fork but most likely the cylinders

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Would this be an easy DIY job ? And do you know roughly how much it would cost to get it repaired ?

Comment

I would be suspecting that the clutch and/or pressure plate has failed, which in turn, doesn't allow you to halt the power transfer from the engine into the gearbox, allowing you to select gears
        Sleeping Performance & Mechanical Repairs: Balance, Feedback, Response

Ph: +61397947767
        Address: 6/253 Princes Hwy, Dandenong VIC 3175
        Email: josh@sleepingperformancemr.com.au
        Facebook: www.facebook.com/sleepingperformancemr

Comment

I will go with Sleepingperformance here - might need to upgrade or change clutch
          CLEMENTE

Comment

Ahhh dam my worst fears..
            Is there any definite way to know that the clutch is gone ? I can't fork out 1K+ at the moment..

Comment

Originally posted by cwdc5 View Post
              Ahhh dam my worst fears..
              Is there any definite way to know that the clutch is gone ? I can't fork out 1K+ at the moment..
              you just explained it in your first post - grinding gears and forcing it to get it while stationary
              can't you DIY? just asking don't take offense or for the heroes out there don't flame
              CLEMENTE

Comment

Originally posted by pbk1776 View Post
                you just explained it in your first post - grinding gears and forcing it to get it while stationary
                can't you DIY? just asking don't take offense or for the heroes out there don't flame
                I don't think I'm capable of doing a DIY clutch change.
                Does it make any difference if it goes away once the car is warmed up ?

Comment

If it goes away once the car is warmed up, I would be looking at a low gearbox oil level. Start by doing a drain & re-fill then see what happens from there. Also go back and get you clutch fluid level to make sure you don't have a leak.

cwdc5, where are you located?

Comment

Just to be sure, check your clutch fluid reservoir and check your cylinders for fluid leaking around the seals. Look inside the cab where your clutch pedal piston is and check inside the bay both at the clutch master and down at the gearbox where the clutch slave is as well.

Comment

Originally posted by cwdc5 View Post
                      I don't think I'm capable of doing a DIY clutch change.
                      Does it make any difference if it goes away once the car is warmed up ?
                      what do you mean goes away? like it goes in without any extra force or grind?

as a general rule applies to all types of cars - you have to warm up your car before driving it
                      and giving it.

like my Fourby - I know in the morning (mostly winter) I have to give the car 5 minutes to warm
                      up before driving as I also find it harder to gear up - note I only changed my clutch not even 10K kms ago
                      however it is the same as other navaras but when she warms up she gears like a butter (not as soft as a butter just a point to make)

if yours like that then might be just it is cold and you giving it a bit hard while it is cold. If there is only a slight difference
                      between cold and warm conditions - I might say the pressure plate but still if you do that better off to do the whole clutch kit
                      CLEMENTE

Comment

Thanks for your help guys, Ill check it all out tomorrow and update this.

@PBK1776
                        Yeah After about 10 minutes of driving, everything just went back to normal. No more forcing it into gear and no more grinding !

Comment

Hey guys just a quick update.
                          Does anyone know what sound this is coming from the clutch pedal ? It is a dry pedal or is that the clutch going ?

Comment

That sound is normal. It's the fluid moving or getting compressed in the clutch master cylinder. Can you please do a test. Can you put the shifter into gears whilst the car is turned off? Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to record the clutch fork whilst you step on your clutch from inside. As mentioned, check for leaks and fluid quality and quantity. Just youtube rsx clutch fork of you don't know what I'm referring too. We just want to narrow it down to whether its a simple CMC problem or actual pressure plate. The difference in price of fixing could be easily $500-$600.
                            Last edited by Norm; 07-06-13, 09:54 AM.

Comment

The clutch fork is located in the bell housing and the slave cylinder pushes on it...

Comment

Working...
                              X